mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Trailer for Kids that offer dust protection

We're in the market for a new trailer and i'm lookig for advice.

I have an older Burley trailer that was given to us. But it holds only one kid and lacks a protective screen.

I took my 3 year old for a spin Saturday in Austin on Town Lake Trail which is made of crushed granite. When we got home i noticed my kid and the floor of the trailer was coated in granite that made its way through the mesh screen. I had no idea that i was kicking up massive amounts of dust into my son's face and lungs.

So today i pop into REI and they had a Charriot and Burley models. The salesman said that they sell mostly Charriots. He also commented that he thought that the enclosing the trailer front, sides, and back in plastic would be really hot.

The Burley had an option for a small clear plastic screen that would protect the face and eyes. I'm really concerned about the dust bothering my three year olds lungs.

Anyone have any advice?

It's about showing up.

We had a Clear Plastic Screen on Burley

We used it in the drizzle and on trail. It is hard to avoid the greenhouse effect on a sunny day. You still have the ventilation on the sides. Also, just as you are careful with the clothing you use when you ride you need to test out clothing for your child, too. Who'd a thunk?
    What this reveals most is that you need to check in with your passenger more often.

gimme friction
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    We used it in the drizzle and on trail. It is hard to avoid the greenhouse effect on a sunny day. You still have the ventilation on the sides. Also, just as you are careful with the clothing you use when you ride you need to test out clothing for your child, too. Who'd a thunk?
    What this reveals most is that you need to check in with your passenger more often.

Not really sure about the connection here between dust and clothing for kids, but anyhoo...

The clear screen on the Burley does wonders for keeping out dust and minor road debris.

Formerly DMR For Life
    what about a trailer where the front is closed off but the back has a screen that way the dirt wouldn't fly in while still providing the child with ventilation...just a thought...i don't know whats available
    DMR

It's about showing up.

The connection is...

Quote Originally Posted by Quercus agrifolia

Not really sure about the connection here between dust and clothing for kids, but anyhoo...

The clear screen on the Burley does wonders for keeping out dust and minor road debris.
    discovering a layer of dust on the child (potentially in the child's lungs) at the end of the ride perhaps means that during the ride the child wasn't checked perhaps on the assumption that the child was alright the whole time. Fair enough. Easy mistake. If dust is an issue then so is clothing. So is position in the harness for that matter. These should be checked during the ride.
    If a plastic screen/cover is used then clothing is doubly an issue due to a change in ventilation. The Burly we had was screened on the side and back as well so when the plactic was on Miguel didn't turn blue!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

chariot is awesome

I've had 2 chariots and think they are fantastic. They do have a plastic screen but the back is mesh so that may help keep dust out while maintaining some ventilation. They also have smaller vents on the sides although they may let dust in. Never experienced a similar problem.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    You can check out the Nashbar Kid Karriage. It has a screen and a plastic widow panel to keep out the dust and rain. It can hold 2 kids up to 100lbs and extra gear. I have one myself.

Kid Karriage

Jeremy

Surfin' da mountain

I second the Charriot!

Wow Town Lake, thats a rough trail for a little tike! You need suspension!

What if you could have a screen protection enroute to the trail, then drop a windshield down just before entering the trail, then back to a screen after the trail?

See my post here: A favorite Christmas present For more!

Lets not accuse the guy of not checking on his kid enough. He's worried about him and willing to drop the cash to improve the ride environment. My daughter is constantly telling me she's having fun. And we stop several times during a ride to do a quick check or to stretch her legs.

In the pic below, see the plastic windscreen rolled up on top. It takes a few seconds to roll it down and fasten it to the velcro at the nose. If the side windows were screen, the dust would enter through the sides too. They don't hamper ventalation much. It was 80 degrees yesterday and my daughter didn't even break a sweat. The back of the Charriot is made of mesh type material. Just below the screen is another cover that rolls up too. It is used as a sun shade and even has a small tinted plastic window on the forward end.

If we have another little one, I'll drop the 4 bills for the Cougar 2 without hesitation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cucucachu; 01-03-2006 at 05:48 AM.

I always bleed like this.
    If you are kicking up a lot of dust it will find a way into the trailer. I would never drop the plastic screen on my burley in the summer, way too hot. Your best bet is to get your kid to wear a mask, which is about as easy as taking candy from a baby. Easy to do but very hard to live with the consequences.
    Not riding those trails is probably the only way to avoid the problem because a mesh or screen tight enough to stop the swirling dust from entering the trailer will also keep the temp much too high. The dust rides the air that cools your kid, hard to stop one without stopping the other.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    does other companys make suspension models besides Chariot? does the suspension really help with jarring bumps?

dust protection, ventilation and seat comfort are the biggest concerns. i couldn't use the plastic screens in the summer due to the 100 degree heat. but i'm not too sure how often i'd carry the kids out in the heat anyway.

i mostly ride around my neighborhood. my 3 yr kid loved trip to the BIG city park and was asking to ride in the trailer back to the park again the next day despite the dust.

the crushed granite trail on Town Lake that i used to take my kid to Zilker Park is smoother than many of the streets in my neighborhood.

The old burley lacks suspension and the seat seems uncomfortable for both kids, 3 and a really beefy 10 month old (25 pounds and starting to walk before you start to give me grief).

I was thinking of getting trailer that can hold both kids, but i'm not too sure that they play well together. i'd love to get my wife back on a bike too and have family rides.

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by mappable
    The old burley lacks suspension and the seat seems uncomfortable for both kids, 3 and a really beefy 10 month old (25 pounds and starting to walk before you start to give me grief).

I was thinking of getting trailer that can hold both kids, but i'm not too sure that they play well together. i'd love to get my wife back on a bike too and have family rides.
    I'd recommend against the 'Nstep, which has no suspension and can comfortably fit 2 two year olds (about 30 pounds each). I don't think it'll fit a 3 year old and your young giant, not comfortably at least. Also with the plastic down, it only has a small mesh window for ventilation and it really gets quite hot.
    We all get it in the end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    burley customer service says a windscreen is available for $60.
    going to see if they can email me a picture.