Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    insert blank disk

Trail Riding with dog

I did a search and didn't see a thread about this. How many of y'all ride with your dog?

I took my dog on his first trail ride today and he did great. He stayed with me the whole time and didn't get distracted by other people or dogs. We did 4.5 miles at 7.9 mph. Strava Says.

This just got me to wondering how far dogs can run and how fast? I'm sure Scout would follow me until he had a heart attack and died, so I'm just wondering what would be an appropriate training schedule for my dog?

Here he is cooling off after our ride today. He is an 8 month old Lagotto Romagnolo.

Here's a picture of him with all his hair. This is how most lagottos look.

Vincit qui patitur
    I too mine on his first trail ride today. We went about 3.5 - 4 miles.
    We did stop to often. I wanted him not to overheat here in AZ.
    He did real well for his first time.
    I will be taking him again in the morning.
    I will be taking him on the same trail for a while until he gets used to commands and the bike.
    Trail Riding with dog-td1.jpg
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

insert blank disk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    My search is broken. I typed "dog" into the search and got zero results. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Trail Riding with dog-ellie-rm-tiger.jpg
    I've been riding with my dog for about a year and a half she can do 20 miles easy.Keeping in mind are trails have lots of water.

mtbr member
    and yes i know i used are insted of our.my bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by down2ride View Post
    This just got me to wondering how far dogs can run and how fast? I'm sure Scout would follow me until he had a heart attack and died, so I'm just wondering what would be an appropriate training schedule for my dog?
    Dogs are like us and need training/conditioning to go longer distances. Start small and slowly work up. Make sure you pay more attention to him while riding- if you do, you'll realize that you're overdoing it. Stop often to give him water and check out his pads. My dog, after riding with me for a couple years, had a pretty bad pad injury on both front paws. She's fine now, but the bill at the vet took the money I was going to spend on bike parts...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is youíll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

insert blank disk
    Yeah, I want to work him into it. I spent a lot of my time looking back to see how he was doing. I also just cruised along allowing him to catch his breath before increasing the speed a bit. I guess I'll just watch him to see how he does. It would be great if I could get him going for 15 mile rides comfortably.

NMBP
    My dogs will go 15 miles with no problems as long as I'm the one they're following. They get lots of water and rest stops. I also don't run them over 10 mph and I usually average 5 to 7 mph. I've known way too many dogs that were run to death, it's not going to happen to mine.

I also don't ride with others, except on slow trails. No one cares as much for my dogs as I do.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member

10-15 is about right for her (3yrs old)

Worst was getting kinda lost and too far from truck on fast fire roads -
    had to strap her between me and my camelback. That was interesting...
    Time wounds all heels...

mtbr member
    My dog is 8 or 9 years old (rescue so we're not sure) and he still can do up to 6 miles but at his own pace. He just trots along and we wait every 1/2 mile or so for him to catch up. In cold weather, and especially if there's some snow, he'll race around a bit, but mainly he's become a "hiker". We leave him home now for the weekly "serious" rides.

When he sees me put on my riding clothes he sings and dances until we get in the car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Riding with dog-img_1789_1.jpg  

IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Personally, I don't suggest taking a dog mountain biking. You can really make an early cripple out of a dog by running it on MTB rides. I know a lot of people like to say that "their dog just loves it" and "this breed can run and run", but the reality is the vast majority of dogs will kill themselves trying to keep up with a bike.

If you do feel the need to run your dog on an MTB ride, adjust your pace to a lot slower, especially on downhills than you normally would do. Keep the rides fairly short. If plenty of water isn't trail side make sure you bring enough for the dog. Plus, if your dog is a chaser of wildlife, you should really reconsider taking it on a ride where it's off leash and/or out of sight for any length of time. Also don't let the dog get out of sight so it may be a hazard to other trail users, if it's exhausted and stressed because it's lost track of you, it's probably not thinking about staying out of the way of other people.

and clean up after your dog, carry a poop bag.

Some of my best friends have been dogs, but they're not people and they shouldn't be expected to act like people. I don't ride with my dog and none of my friends ride with their dogs for those reasons.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My dog (4 year old Labradoodle) loves to go along. I only take her to a couple of trails, though, the ones that are less apt to have a lot of other people, and that have plenty of creeks along the way. Typically I won't go more than 5-6 miles with her and stop often to let her chill in the creeks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Is this the master MTB with your dog rule list?

No known cure
    I've had/have some dogs who have no business trail riding. Others think they're bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Riding with dog-downsized_0227031352.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Dogs are like us and need training/conditioning to go longer distances. Start small and slowly work up. Make sure you pay more attention to him while riding- if you do, you'll realize that you're overdoing it. Stop often to give him water and check out his pads.
    I agree, start slow and work your way up. Watch the temp, dogs can overheat easily.

I ride everyday with my Vizslas. Monday thru Friday it's usually just an hour at sunrise, 6-10 miles. Weekends is more like three hours, closer to thirty miles and about 5000/yr.
    I'm currently on my fifth MTB dog and none have had any major problems from running.
    Trail Riding with dog-img00033-20120519-0708-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nice Dogs. Vader is that a weimaraner? He is much bigger than my 1 year old Weimaraner, I am confident he could physically ride with me no problem, but I have been afraid of letting him off the leash because he is a hunting dog breed. My worst fear is him taking off and chasing something and not coming back. Does anyone have any suggestions for training a dog to ride with you. He stays around me of the leash, but I would expect him to be alot more distracted in the woods with all the other scents and animals around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yeah, ride around with your pockets full of ham!

sh*t eater
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ringoesroadking View Post
    Nice Dogs. Vader is that a weimaraner? He is much bigger than my 1 year old Weimaraner, I am confident he could physically ride with me no problem, but I have been afraid of letting him off the leash because he is a hunting dog breed. My worst fear is him taking off and chasing something and not coming back. Does anyone have any suggestions for training a dog to ride with you. He stays around me of the leash, but I would expect him to be alot more distracted in the woods with all the other scents and animals around.
    I had the same fear early on but my dogs (one is a weim the other a weim/lab mix) really are more concerned with staying with me than chasing animals. I would consider my Weim to be an awesome recall dog but she will come with a little pestering or at least just starting to ride away. The trail we ride at is seldomly used and an off leash dog park so it works out well.

Here is an old video, Lucy the purebread Weim makes an early cameo but then fades off as she is getting lazy. Calvin is the one who wants to fight for the lead but obeys my hand signs to make sure he stays on my rear tire.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by ringoesroadking View Post

He's 11 months and in the photo, probably seven months. He's bigger now and a lot more muscular. Like a running back. When we're riding, he has tunnel vision. He just wants to run the trail. This is what separates hiking dogs from trail running dogs, I think.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Rez
    mtbr member

Heres a couple more

Ride with dogs as much as possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What goes up must come down

Rez
    mtbr member

My response to ZRM

A picture is worth a 1000 words

Name:  dog poop.png
Views: 560
Size:  87.1 KB
    What goes up must come down

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Great video, You trained them well. My weimaraner is much thinner than the ones in this thread, I think he is a little underweight although he eats over 5 cups of food per day. He is very fast and as agile as a cat. Seems to be a great breed for a trail dog. Thanks for the replies!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My lab is pretty good on the trails too. Been keeping him at home recently due to the influx of rattlesnake sightings. We usually stick with the less popular trails to keep the chances of collisions and him getting overstimulated down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Trail Riding with dog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast