Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    for those building/maintaining trails with a lot of leaf litter, a gas-powered leaf blower is the right tool for the job to clear tread fast.
    Also, this is the MOOTS trail builder's machine right here, although the Xtracycle is obviously a workhorse, too.
    Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-moots-imba_fe.jpg
    Never happier than out with the loppers and saw, trimming, lopping clearing. It gives you a totally different sense of the trail; restorative on so many levels.

Gnarly
    Recent trash clean up day on one of my favorite trails: Don Valley in Toronto

We were a crew of 10 and each of us hauled 5 to 10 bags each from just one small section of forest

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

I like bikes
    I'm the "Trail Builder Guy" in our small town. I was able to build 2.7 KM of singletrack last year, with $3000, by myself. This year, I fund raised and wrote grant apps and have $10,000 to spend this year. Trying to generate more volunteers, and 4 KM more trail.
    Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-img_0051.jpg

Got a new tool for the trails.
    Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-new-mower.jpg
    The older I get, the faster I was.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Good on you for being proactive to secure funding to build more trails! Now about your new tool for the trails: What the heck is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghglenn View Post
    Got a new tool for the trails.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Mower.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	805538

I like bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Good on you for being proactive to secure funding to build more trails! Now about your new tool for the trails: What the heck is it?
    Thanks. It is a 24" Brush Mower that can cut anything up to 2" in diameter. It is self-propelled, and can also cut any tall grasses and left-behind root balls. The new sections of trail are along a creek and I have to cut through large stretches of Thistle, native grasses, and saplings that were cut down by beavers.... It will also be used to do a quick mow down of any over-growth along existing trails.
    The older I get, the faster I was.....

beer thief
    We have done tons of work in the last 15 years or so. Bridges are one specialty. I am a structural engineer so if you need some professional help let me know. No, I don't want your money.

a_steel_frame.jpgTrail Maintenance Passion Thread-highwater-1-4-3-05.jpg16Builder reflection.jpg1Dueling chainsaws.JPG

Edit - not sure why only one photo shows up but you can click on the others to see them. Don't have time to try to fix it right now.

The White Jeff W

Re: Trail Maintenance Passion Thread

Ive gotten to where i enjoy building & maintenance almost as much as riding. If conditions are too bad to ride you'll find me out in the park with some kind of cutting or digging tool or flagging in something.

This day was 13 degrees f with a 30 mph wind. I was flagging new trail in the snow. My girlfriend wants to have me committed

Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1371298750478.jpg
    No moss...

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghglenn View Post
    Thanks. It is a 24" Brush Mower that can cut anything up to 2" in diameter. It is self-propelled, and can also cut any tall grasses and left-behind root balls. The new sections of trail are along a creek and I have to cut through large stretches of Thistle, native grasses, and saplings that were cut down by beavers.... It will also be used to do a quick mow down of any over-growth along existing trails.
    I was wondering, but it is kind of what it looks like - a walk behind bush hog (as opposed to tractor pulled). Pretty Cool.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I'm bumping this really old thread to hopefully revive it. I'll put some pictures in here soon.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    D'oh! We thought the upward pressure would prevent the tree from binding. Had to undercut it with a second saw.

Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-img_0713.jpg

I would say there was quite a bit of spring-back once the top was cut off.
    Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-img_0715.jpg

mtbr member
    YACK!! Whoa, those scare me and I try to figure a way to cut and get it horizontal first. I hate cutting above my head.

I always travel with a wedge now days just for that reason. I cut and hammer a wedge in just in case. I use one of those plastic wedge like these.

Amazon.com: STIHL 0000 893 6882 10-Inch Felling Wedge: Patio, Lawn & Garden

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I can't remember a ride I've done where there wasn't some sort of trail maintenance involved. Whether it's as simple as pulling downed branches out of the way or rolling a rock or two into place to "fix" a problem I ALWAYS do something to make conditions better.

The White Jeff W
    Been doing a lot of cutting now that spring is here. Thawed ground & high winds = lots of downed trees. Why is it always the top that falls on the trail? Been getting some good ideas for new trails at a State Park Ive been riding a lot more recently. Gotta get in touch with the steward there & bounce some ideas off of him

One would add a switchback section to replace a dirt (mud) road climb, the other would be a good way to get back to the main trailhead. Its a killer trail on the way out but riding it backwards to the lot sucks. The other options are pavement and powerline, which also suck.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Agree'd, yes. Totally true.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3