Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Nickel Havr
    This one was after Hurricane Irene... I cleared 6mi of trails over 3 days! Solo!

I decided to do it the old school way... With a bow saw and an axe!

I had a hiker stop and take a few swings with the axe... He got winded pretty quick and gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Subscribed! I've been doing a bunch of trail work/maintenance for years out here in Hawaii.

Hermit
    Take a look at this, it may have some answers for you.

Trail Bridge Catalog

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mr. Biker, how long is the span? Local rocks available for base? Spring runoff height?

Nickel Havr
    Not exactly a bridge over water.... But I built this one.

Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Your passion is showing

Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Subscribed! I've been doing a bunch of trail work/maintenance for years out here in Hawaii.
    Riding trails where ever you live is fun and doing a little maintenance makes you feel like you're doing something special and you are! More riders should do a little maintenance it feels good and when you ride it with friends you can say I did. I bet you lose trails in Hawaii if there is nobody doing maintenance,the same where I live.Some days I load my Xtracycle and just ride around and fix things!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-pic_0354.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nugjug View Post
    Riding trails where ever you live is fun and doing a little maintenance makes you feel like you're doing something special and you are! More riders should do a little maintenance it feels good and when you ride it with friends you can say I did. I bet you lose trails in Hawaii if there is nobody doing maintenance,the same where I live.Some days I load my Xtracycle and just ride around and fix things!
    Yes, doing the trail work has two ulterior motives. First one is it feels good (work out) and I get to see the trails from a more close up, observant view instead of flying by them (Oh that's two already). OK, 3rd is I get to enjoy them with friends without having to stop and hike a bike or break up the flow.

Yes, the trails get taken over pretty quick here in the jungles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Yes, doing the trail work has two ulterior motives. First one is it feels good (work out) and I get to see the trails from a more close up, observant view instead of flying by them
    Two great reasons, except snakes don't move for me when walking like they do when I'm riding.

I went out this morning and tidied up the drainage on a local 10km loop.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for reviving this thread. This has been a trail work year for me. We have been reviving an abandoned trail system in Virginia. The establishment of Roanoke IMBA (RIMBA) has made this possible.

Much of it looks like this

With lots of Dereckto damage, mostly oak

Short low quality video of one of the nastier sections we have worked on

Post trail work

Thanks to all that do trail work!

Cumbria, England.
    Thanks for this thread! I think it's great what you all do, so much so that I've looked into getting involved at my local forest trails. Turns out there's a group who sort out things to do with the whole forest, not just the trails. Looks like I'm going to be clearing some unwanted saplings. I get a 12 month parking pass after I've put 3 days in too, they're normally quite expensive as it's a popular tourist spot.
    - The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Mr. Biker, how long is the span? Local rocks available for base? Spring runoff height?
    The span we will hopefully get to build over is roughly 30 feet. The west bank is a moderate uphill slope but the east bank is low and could flood if the river rises more than four feet. There are no rocks in the area that could be used for bases. The average depth for the crossing ranges from 8 to 15 inches but it can be 24 or more inches in the spring after the snow melts or after any excessive rainfall.

Thanks for the link Swampboy62. Those are some impressive bridges.

I'll keep researching various bridge options as I wait to hear if we get approval.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Great thread. Even though it can be back breaking work I enjoy a day out in the woods creating trail/clearing after storms almost as much fun as actually riding. One payoff is that there's usually a few frosty beverages shared after the work is complete. With fall/winter looming we spent Saturday morning clearing a "high" section of trail that stays dry in wet months so it's ready to ride and we've had 3 work days on another trail in the past month to prep for a 6hr race coming up next month.

We had a 40ft bridge across a creek that was replaced this spring and we just reused a leftover section on a new route around a low spot that holds water all winter. The bridge was put into place back in 1992 and some was used to finish up the new bridge but there was enough left that we used it to cross a 3" deep drainage ditch that will hold water during the wet months. It's great when you can reuse old trail materials!

Doesn't look like it but this is a 12ft span across the ditch. We used 2x6 & 2x12 footers buried 9" deep on the ends so this bridge will NOT be moving anytime soon. We've built about 20 bridges using this technique and we're yet to ever have one move on us during flooding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-old-bridge.jpg  

mtbr member
    So cool to see this thread pop back up! Thanks for all the trail work everyone!

I like bikes
    Awesome stuff. I am the new "Trail Steward" of my town. Have cut 1.6 miles by myself this year (small loops). Having a "trail day" in a couple of weeks as people are out using it and wanting to build more. In total should be about 6 miles by next season, and a final total of 12 miles by 2014. Have logged over 500 hours myself....! Keep it up everyone.

bust a move
    Nice thread!

These pics were in 04 when we had 3 hurricanes in 6 weeks...it was brutal on the trails

I have not done my share of trail work for about 3 years now, this thread makes me want to get back to it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-picture-216-2-.jpg  

Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-picture-212-2-.jpg  

Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-picture-213-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au View Post
    Two great reasons, except snakes don't move for me when walking like they do when I'm riding.

I went out this morning and tidied up the drainage on a local 10km loop.
    Oh yeah, that's right. We don't have snakes here. Phew, forgot about that in most parts of the world.

Be safe out there............

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mr Biker, 30 feet is a long span. Trying to get grant help? IMBA who be a great resource for that as well as design. What about a local voke/ tech school or maybe a college engineering dept for a project. Town conservation dept. help? The town will probably need an engineering signature to sign off on the design.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Mr Biker, 30 feet is a long span. Trying to get grant help? IMBA who be a great resource for that as well as design. What about a local voke/ tech school or maybe a college engineering dept for a project. Town conservation dept. help? The town will probably need an engineering signature to sign off on the design.
    Leeboh, you're right, 30 feet is a long span. It may only need to be 20 feet but I went long in my estimate (we're still a long way away from actually measuring and designing). I have emailed NEMBA and was instructed to apply for their trail grant which I will do after all the legalities have been worked out. I have not looked into IMBA help but I may later in the process.

The local vocational school happens to be about a quarter mile away from where we want to build the bridge and I actually went to the metal fabrication teacher first (even before I went to the conservation committee) to see if the bridge may be something they are interested in helping to create. They are interested but reminded me that I would have to deal with the red tape. The town conservation is on board with the idea and they are the ones currently pushing forward with getting the legal approval.

It is a slow process but I will continue "fighting the good fight". Thanks to everyone who has posted helpful ideas as well as just sharing your trail work stories and photos, as always, they are inspiring.

Is not amused
    Went for a ride today to check out the trails after all the rain the Northeast just received. Three downed trees but of coarse all on the trail. Post some trail maintenance pics tomorrow. Fun fact: the city owns the property so no chainsaws allowed, folding saw or axe only.

Is not amused
    All the tree's cut up, no pictures sorry, too busy sawing away. Though I meet a couple for out on there first MTB ride and they seemed to be have a blast riding. Something else happened but that is posted in OC and I'm leaving that out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Nugjug

What was your technique used for splitting your timbers?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Wedges

Quote Originally Posted by wfo922 View Post
    Nugjug

What was your technique used for splitting your timbers?
    I carry two wedges and a maul.I''m blessed to live in a redwood forest and it splits real easy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Finally enough posts to include pictures. All I had was my little folding saw, which is why I didn't cut some of the bigger pieces back further. Figured I'd at least get it rideable. Fortunately someone with a bigger saw (or more skill ) came along right after me and cut them back the rest of the way.

There were a few other spots that needed work too, but none this bad. I did cut one tree I shouldn't have - after I cut the log across the trail I realized it had just been bent over by another tree falling on top of it and probably would have been fine once that tree was removed.

Before:

After:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-120909_0002.jpg  

Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-120909_0003.jpg  

Is not amused
    Two hours straight of sawing. Hit up another small tree as well. Thankfully those where the only downed trees. This by far was the worst tree *in pics* ever to saw through. It was like trying to cut steel. The other half of it is to the left same color.

No chainsaws because the city owns and neglects it as well.

Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-560718_10151496747288065_298915076_n.jpg

Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-28886_10151496748058065_1261094304_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It's been close to a month and the state still hasn't cleared this section of trail, so I took matters into my own hands. Literally.

Before (mostly - I had obviously made one cut):
    Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-img_20130603_193640.jpg
    After:
    Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-img_20130603_194008.jpg
    Before:
    Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-img_20130603_194646.jpg
    During:
    Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-img_20130603_195046.jpg
    After:
    Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-img_20130603_195641.jpg
    Before:
    Trail Maintenance Passion Thread-img_20130603_200301.jpg