Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trail Closed

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Trail Closed

The trail system near my house has become a government casualty.

Doesnít the government realize I only have a few weeks to maybe a month (if Iím lucky) of good riding weather left? Then itís going to get cold and then snow!

Trail Closed-closed-1.jpg

Trail Closed-closed-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That stupid yellow tape doesn't look very sturdy. I'd be inclined to ignore it and go on about my business, the furloughed park police gonna arrest you?

mtbr member
    ^^ Agreed. I've plowed though branches that did more to slow me down than that yellow tape.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    ^^ Agreed. I've plowed though branches that did more to slow me down than that yellow tape.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Silly politicians , who do they think they are fooling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It probably took more manpower to put up that barricade than the government usually uses on that park in a week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurkinite View Post
    It probably took more manpower to put up that barricade than the government usually uses on that park in a week.
    And more than the five guys they gave to protect a ambassador !

mtbr member
    I'm all about respecting trail closures, as long as it's for vegetation re-growth, or preserving the habitat of the purple, Swahili speaking, unicorn Tortoise....but this, this is ridiculous. I say ride on!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I road in a State Park today... Lots of heavy duty barriers added... Everybody was out on the trail though... Even State Park personnel in tractors doing park repairs and maintenance... I assume they were all volunteers... On the way back, ran into 2 groups with their night ride gear... Guessing all the hike only trails are now in use too...

mtbr member
    Why would STATE park people be volunteers?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Big Mac

Trail Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
    I road in a State Park today... Lots of heavy duty barriers added... Everybody was out on the trail though... Even State Park personnel in tractors doing park repairs and maintenance... I assume they were all volunteers... On the way back, ran into 2 groups with their night ride gear... Guessing all the hike only trails are now in use too...
    The Feds are shut down, not the state.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Why would STATE park people be volunteers?
    One of our local state parks in Maine works very closely with some local mountain biking groups to develop trails. The mountain bike groups provide labor thru volunteers.

ENDO!!!
    Who is gonna stop you from riding in a park if all the workers for it are laid off?
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member extraordinair
    Ah, a fellow Farmdale rider. I assume you read the long thread on the PAMBA facebook group page concerning this. I will just say to use your best judgement.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Our local trails are "closed." Screw 'em. It's not like the US Forest Service does that much work anyway. We can have trees down for months before anybody does anything and it's usually one of the local riders getting fed up and taking his own chainsaw to the thing.

After all the taxes I pay, all that I've done for this country, after obeying the law and being a good citizen for my whole life this is how I am repayed? By some petulant, time-serving, lazy federal employee trying to keep me from riding on a trail that requires little if any government intervention to keep open?

The arrogance and condescension of our servants in the federal bureaucracy is breathtaking.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just ride anyway. If enough people would take this unique opportunity to show who actually owns what it could go a long way toward clarifying a lot of misconceptions being rammed down peoples throats and up their other end.

Obviously this criminal gang has run outa funds and is desperately scrambling for excuses to murder people and maybe confiscate one of your bikes but I say F em and good riddance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah I felt the shutdown at my local trail also. We went out Saturday and were welcomed by barricades before even reaching the parking lot. A lot of people were just parking on the road outside the barricades and still using the trails. I saw no sign of any officials the whole weekend. I rode Saturday and today.

mtbr member
    Trails here also in Iowa closed - on Army Corp land, but 100% maintained by volunteer bike clubs.

BS

Chad

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sugarbottom?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    Trails here also in Iowa closed - on Army Corp land, but 100% maintained by volunteer bike clubs.
    I agree this is all BS.

I do like the fact that our controversial governor actually stood up and said that the Federal shutdown will not affect Wisconsin state run operations.

Our STATE parks are open for business! Come on up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I rode Backbone trail (Santa Monica Mountains) from Kanan through Corral Canyon and back. Plenty of others there riding and hiking. Stupid barricades just laying on the ground off to the side.

mtbr member
    The only closure I've seen yet is an outhouse(!) - go figure - in the Uintahs near Kamas, Utah. They probably had to pay a guy overtime to drive up there and put up a sign that said it was closed. Knowing what people would do, outside of a locked outhouse, and the fact that he'd probably have to clean it up, he had the good sense NOT to lock the doors.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Here are the signs that we were greeted with here in New Mexico. Didn't seem to matter much here. Lots of people out on the trails regardless. Great weekend for a ride. What a waste of time and money to put up all those signs all over the country.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Closed-gounvernment-closure-001.jpg  

Trail Closed-gounvernment-closure-002.jpg  

Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was in the national forest all weekend. Nothing any different. but there are no services where I was either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It's not about a budget. It's about control, they'll push and push untill one day they cross the line then Whaalah! 1776 2.0

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blmpkn View Post
    It's not about a budget. It's about control, they'll push and push untill one day they cross the line then Whaalah! 1776 2.0
    Can't get here soon enough!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast