Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trail Closed

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Trail Closed

The trail system near my house has become a government casualty.

Doesnít the government realize I only have a few weeks to maybe a month (if Iím lucky) of good riding weather left? Then itís going to get cold and then snow!

Trail Closed-closed-1.jpg

Trail Closed-closed-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That stupid yellow tape doesn't look very sturdy. I'd be inclined to ignore it and go on about my business, the furloughed park police gonna arrest you?

mtbr member
    ^^ Agreed. I've plowed though branches that did more to slow me down than that yellow tape.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    ^^ Agreed. I've plowed though branches that did more to slow me down than that yellow tape.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Silly politicians , who do they think they are fooling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It probably took more manpower to put up that barricade than the government usually uses on that park in a week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurkinite View Post
    It probably took more manpower to put up that barricade than the government usually uses on that park in a week.
    And more than the five guys they gave to protect a ambassador !

mtbr member
    I'm all about respecting trail closures, as long as it's for vegetation re-growth, or preserving the habitat of the purple, Swahili speaking, unicorn Tortoise....but this, this is ridiculous. I say ride on!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I road in a State Park today... Lots of heavy duty barriers added... Everybody was out on the trail though... Even State Park personnel in tractors doing park repairs and maintenance... I assume they were all volunteers... On the way back, ran into 2 groups with their night ride gear... Guessing all the hike only trails are now in use too...

mtbr member
    Why would STATE park people be volunteers?

Big Mac

Trail Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
    I road in a State Park today... Lots of heavy duty barriers added... Everybody was out on the trail though... Even State Park personnel in tractors doing park repairs and maintenance... I assume they were all volunteers... On the way back, ran into 2 groups with their night ride gear... Guessing all the hike only trails are now in use too...
    The Feds are shut down, not the state.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Why would STATE park people be volunteers?
    One of our local state parks in Maine works very closely with some local mountain biking groups to develop trails. The mountain bike groups provide labor thru volunteers.

ENDO!!!
    Who is gonna stop you from riding in a park if all the workers for it are laid off?
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member extraordinair
    Ah, a fellow Farmdale rider. I assume you read the long thread on the PAMBA facebook group page concerning this. I will just say to use your best judgement.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Our local trails are "closed." Screw 'em. It's not like the US Forest Service does that much work anyway. We can have trees down for months before anybody does anything and it's usually one of the local riders getting fed up and taking his own chainsaw to the thing.

After all the taxes I pay, all that I've done for this country, after obeying the law and being a good citizen for my whole life this is how I am repayed? By some petulant, time-serving, lazy federal employee trying to keep me from riding on a trail that requires little if any government intervention to keep open?

The arrogance and condescension of our servants in the federal bureaucracy is breathtaking.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just ride anyway. If enough people would take this unique opportunity to show who actually owns what it could go a long way toward clarifying a lot of misconceptions being rammed down peoples throats and up their other end.

Obviously this criminal gang has run outa funds and is desperately scrambling for excuses to murder people and maybe confiscate one of your bikes but I say F em and good riddance.

mtbr member
    Yeah I felt the shutdown at my local trail also. We went out Saturday and were welcomed by barricades before even reaching the parking lot. A lot of people were just parking on the road outside the barricades and still using the trails. I saw no sign of any officials the whole weekend. I rode Saturday and today.

mtbr member
    Trails here also in Iowa closed - on Army Corp land, but 100% maintained by volunteer bike clubs.

BS

Chad

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sugarbottom?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    Trails here also in Iowa closed - on Army Corp land, but 100% maintained by volunteer bike clubs.
    I agree this is all BS.

I do like the fact that our controversial governor actually stood up and said that the Federal shutdown will not affect Wisconsin state run operations.

Our STATE parks are open for business! Come on up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I rode Backbone trail (Santa Monica Mountains) from Kanan through Corral Canyon and back. Plenty of others there riding and hiking. Stupid barricades just laying on the ground off to the side.

mtbr member
    The only closure I've seen yet is an outhouse(!) - go figure - in the Uintahs near Kamas, Utah. They probably had to pay a guy overtime to drive up there and put up a sign that said it was closed. Knowing what people would do, outside of a locked outhouse, and the fact that he'd probably have to clean it up, he had the good sense NOT to lock the doors.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Here are the signs that we were greeted with here in New Mexico. Didn't seem to matter much here. Lots of people out on the trails regardless. Great weekend for a ride. What a waste of time and money to put up all those signs all over the country.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Closed-gounvernment-closure-001.jpg  

Trail Closed-gounvernment-closure-002.jpg  

Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was in the national forest all weekend. Nothing any different. but there are no services where I was either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It's not about a budget. It's about control, they'll push and push untill one day they cross the line then Whaalah! 1776 2.0

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blmpkn View Post
    It's not about a budget. It's about control, they'll push and push untill one day they cross the line then Whaalah! 1776 2.0
    Can't get here soon enough!

Mtn View, CA
    Looks like an opportunity to practice bunnyhops.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Vincit qui patitur
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorider228 View Post
    I'm all about respecting trail closures, as long as it's for vegetation re-growth, or preserving the habitat of the purple, Swahili speaking, unicorn Tortoise....but this, this is ridiculous. I say ride on!

Ditto!!
    I have a trip coming up next week to the Grand Canyon and I have already checked out alternative entry points to the park via MTB.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2013 Giant Defy

Don't worry, be happy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The problem is that a lot of you have been conditioned to accept that every activity in life requires government paperwork, documentation, and the approval of a lawyer. The bureaucratic-legal-police complex rules this nation with a barely concealed iron fist.

It wasn't always this way.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    Ditto!!
    I have a trip coming up next week to the Grand Canyon and I have already checked out alternative entry points to the park via MTB.

Good luck with that. They closed the state highway through the park because they couldn't stop people from pulling out at the "closed" overlooks...

Vincit qui patitur
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Good luck with that. They closed the state highway through the park because they couldn't stop people from pulling out at the "closed" overlooks...
    It's parts of th Az Trail.
    About a 1/2 mile east of the gate/road and takes me right up to the canyon.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2013 Giant Defy

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    The problem is that a lot of you have been conditioned to accept that every activity in life requires government paperwork, documentation, and the approval of a lawyer. The bureaucratic-legal-police complex rules this nation with a barely concealed iron fist.

It wasn't always this way.
    Nudge , push, shoot, they didn't buy all those rounds of hollow points because they like amo manufacturers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Part of the NFS and BLM job is to lease lands for logging, mining an grazing. For some reason I feel the shut down does not affect these things.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sadly, there are people in government who *want* us to suffer during this (very limited) fed gov't shutdown. And we pay their salaries and benefits. And they are supposed to serve us, we the people. Instead they want to punish us.

Shameful.

TR

mtbr member
    Concur with everything said, and if I were near fed land, I would likely ride past the barriers, too.

A couple things to consider, though:
    1. It is possible that not all Rangers/Park Police were furloughed, even if most of the park staff was. You might still be surprised.
    2. Consider that should you get injured in a closed park, you might have difficulty getting help, as the usual park infrastructure is not there and paramedics will be stuck at a locked gate miles from the trail where your mangled body lays.
    Hi!
    Style: XC, Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy
    Rides: '06 K2 Apache 6.0, '01 K2 Razorback Team

mtbr member
    Trail Closed-img_20131008_153825_938.jpg

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    It's parts of th Az Trail.
    About a 1/2 mile east of the gate/road and takes me right up to the canyon.
    FYI

Grand Canyon Cites People For Entering Closed Park ¬ę CBS Las Vegas

Nearly two dozen people have been issued citations for entering Grand Canyon National Park

...each of the 21 citations issued as of Monday has a mandatory order to appear in federal court.

....law enforcement will be patrolling the park around the clock. Most other park employees have been furloughed.

Don't worry, be happy!

mtbr member
    Ditto!!
    There are ways to get in via FS roads but not from the Desert View Watchtower/Cameron side
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Me too. Mary's Peak Recreation Area wouldn't allow me to put my $5 day use fee into their little box, and I was more than willing to do so. Seems odd in this republican shutdown, I mean government shutdown that I can't even pay my fee. We certainly rode anyways, although we didn't have "trail closure" signs to cross over. By mid day on the Peak, there had to be 15 cars in the main parking lot, so other felt the same way. Amazing, thinking that each of those cars were worth $5 to the USFS.
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - 2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (Ordered)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52 View Post
    Here are the signs that we were greeted with here in New Mexico. Didn't seem to matter much here. Lots of people out on the trails regardless. Great weekend for a ride. What a waste of time and money to put up all those signs all over the country.
    It is a liability issue really.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    ... Seems odd in this republican shutdown...
    Republican shutdown is exactly what the federal government wants you to believe.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by elder_mtber View Post
    Republican shutdown is exactly what the federal government wants you to believe.
    Oh come on. At least go with the shadow government or TPTB (the powers that be), or something. I can think for myself, and I have no doubts that while Congress is all f*&ked right now, once sde is certainly more at fault than the other. Don't get me wrong, I certainly try not to fall into the right-left paradigm, but in this case, there clearly is no question. The ACA is a LAW, backed by the Supreme Court! You'd think after 40+ times of trying to vote it down, they would get a clue, but I guess not. If you ask me, it is treasonous and they should be held accountable for their actions. Sorry, didn't mean to make this political, but I got pulled in. Bottom line, I rode in a close federal park, didn't pay my $5 and enjoyed it!
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - 2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (Ordered)

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Oh come... The ACA is a LAW, backed by the Supreme Court! You'd think after 40+ times of trying to vote it down, they would get a clue, but I guess not. If you ask me, it is treasonous and they should be held accountable for their actions...
    Well, you can add "ignorance is bliss" to the "taxes and death" saying. The entire group of them ARE the problem, including the "Community leader and chief," the House, the Senate, the DOJ, the DOD, the Veterains Affairs office, the state department and so on. They are still funding $h!t that would make reasonable people's heads spin in good times; They are still sending foreign aid (your tax dollars and borrowed money) to hundreds of countries, they will be paying unemployment benefits to the "nonessential worker" that they furloughed, continue to pay out hundreds of billions of dollars to disability, of which they say 25% is most likely fraudulent claims, spend more money to close monuments and parks than it would to leave them open; You get my point. They are all a bunch of self serving, narsasistic, courageless, teen age acting, overpaid losers, including Obama, the republicans and democrats.

BUT, most of you people continue to vote these morons into office to continue tightening the "control your life" noose around your neck! SO.... Who is really at fault here?

Your living with what you voted for...
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Don't worry, be happy!
    ...here we go...

El Gato Malo
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    They are still sending foreign aid (your tax dollars and borrowed money) to hundreds of countries, they will be paying unemployment benefits to the "nonessential worker" that they furloughed,
    State governments, not federal, are responsible for unemployment insurance/benefits. Filed for mine last week since my agency considered me non-essential.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    State governments, not federal, are responsible for unemployment insurance/benefits. Filed for mine last week since my agency considered me non-essential.
    Who pays for unemployment of those that live in D.C.? Will you pay back your unemployment, IF, your payed retroactively? Enjoy your time off; I did a little too much for my 1 year layoff, including crushing collar bone and later dislocating shoulder.

Folks, the gov't owns NOTHING; We the people do!
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It's your property, go ride. Accept the risk and consequences though. The .gov can eat it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    I saw that sign this weekend too. So did about 5-6 others in the parking lot going for a hike and the other 7-8 cars probably saw it too. It did not stop anyone. Ride on!
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", Fetish Fixation SS 26" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I rode this weekend despite the shut down. However an official was harassing someone saying he was recording license plate numbers to give over to the sheriff. What would be your guys response to this and is there anyway to actually get in trouble? I mean this area is ran by the Army Corp of Engineers presumably funded by OUR tax money so shouldn't I be aloud to get some f*&^%$#@ exercise in despite the f*&^s in Washington without worrying about getting slapped with a fine? I could go somewhere else but that puts me out at least an hour any direction. I'm sad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast