govt kontrakt projkt mgr

Good job! Trail Bike of the Year w.p.

So the bike got an editors' choice award; all I know is I like the bike indeed. This is the same mag that tells one how many chips can be eaten for biking up mt washington and other pretty useless info.

All fun.
    I could be riding---but I guess I'm posing--the bike anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

are you done in Iraq?

I have not been keeping up, but it looks like it you are no longer there. Is that a stumpy?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

yeah..

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    I have not been keeping up, but it looks like it you are no longer there. Is that a stumpy?
    that's the expert 100 disc stumpie. bicycling mag's choice of the tear for all trail bike.

as far as i raq--yeah I got back 20 Jan after 1 year, 1 month and 1 day. The last month was nice--and i have my reasons--nuff said oh what the heck--i made good friends with 1 of the serving ladies at the dining facilty.

Now I'm just over 19 years of service in--can submit my retirement paperwork 1st of next month----trying to decide---want to be sure....

mtbr member

Being retired is good

I still have to work, and I don't get to go TDY or get new assignments--and I liked that part of my career. But I also don't have to press uni's or get haircuts or shine boots. Or make sure other people do those things if they lack the discipline to do it on their own.

Whatever you decide, Thanks for your service.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    likewise; you're from Tucson? How do you think the job outlook will be in a year or so at Raytheon for a guy with a fairly recent MBA and retired Army?

Quote Originally Posted by azwxman
    I still have to work, and I don't get to go TDY or get new assignments--and I liked that part of my career. But I also don't have to press uni's or get haircuts or shine boots. Or make sure other people do those things if they lack the discipline to do it on their own.

Whatever you decide, Thanks for your service.

mtbr member

I wouldn't be surprised if you found something...

Seems like they're always getting new folks. I work at D-M, so I don't have a lot of insight, but I see tons of traffic toward the Raytheon plant, and several of my neighbors work there. If you want something in southern AZ, there's also D-M and Sierra Vista. The Army background has to help -- especially if you have a clearance.

the wrench
    dont those icons add rotating weight to youre front wheel?
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

Hope hmmm...

...negligible; I hadn't really noticed---most are lite wt shortcuts that aid in attracting trail chix--nothing heavy like graphic laden bits--besides this pimpin' model features unnecessary iconicleanup

Quote Originally Posted by garboui
    dont those icons add rotating weight to youre front wheel?

Kearsarge crawler
    Mt. Washington? How many chips and how high is it? I should try it.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

139/6288

according to the art only 7.6 miles, but 6288 ft. An hour and 20 is considered a good time.
    but you only get 139 chips.

Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller
    Mt. Washington? How many chips and how high is it? I should try it.

Kearsarge crawler
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    according to the art only 7.6 miles, but 6288 ft. An hour and 20 is considered a good time.
    but you only get 139 chips.
    Maybe i'll just eat a couple of Whoppers and take the easy route up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

Jet
    mtbr member
    that is a wyked ahsum screen saver

banned
    Apr 2004

That's a good one

So the bike got an editors' choice award; all I know is I like the bike indeed. This is the same mag that tells one how many chips can be eaten for biking up mt washington and other pretty useless info.

All fun.
    I could be riding---but I guess I'm posing--the bike anyway.
    Nice bike ASR.
    The 80mm travel Tightass Racer X that won the short travel FS cat. also looks nice.

Sometimes I wish I were not such a tightass cause I would add a Specialized or Titus FS to my collection.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I should be more of a tightarse so i could pay off my bills.
    But the Uncle Sam bennies for being in Hawaii and Iraq allowed me to get the stumpie as well as snag a digital rebel, a zoom lens, dv corder, and stuff to upgrade the computer to handle the DV. Now I need to get a helmet cam.

Yeah the Titus looks great---I see RT is riding/racing one now--looks hot-machine and operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    Nice bike ASR.

The 80mm travel Tightass Racer X that won the short travel FS cat. also looks nice.

Sometimes I wish I were not such a tightass cause I would add a Specialized or Titus FS to my collection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller
    Maybe i'll just eat a couple of Whoppers and take the easy route up.
    That's the cog railway - it's a blast!! Probably best in the fall, when all the leaves are in full color.

As for the auto road hill climb:

…about the Mt. Washington Auto Road:

The Numbers

Terminus 6288 ft. (1916.58 meters)
    Base (Toll House) 1565 ft. (477 meters)
    Elevation gain 4727 ft. (1440.79 meters)
    Length 7.6 miles (12.23 kilometers)
    Grade Avg.12%, extended 18%, final 100 yds. 22%
    Road surface 65% paved, 35% packed gravel

Last year's winner made the climb in 58:50.

18%!!! 22%!!! Impressive!!! I may go volunteer to work at the event, but I don't think I'll ever, ever be dumb enough to think I can actually climb that road on my bike! Or is it that I'm smart enough to realize that I won't ever have the desire - let alone capability - to make that climb? I've hiked up Washington and it's an incredible mountain... but I'll stick to my feet or the cog railway or my car to get to the top! lol

If you're curious about the ride, here's some pictures from their website of last years ride:
    http://www.jsmcelvery.com/2004mw.html

mtbr dismember

I hear you

But the Uncle Sam bennies for being in Hawaii and Iraq allowed me to get the stumpie as well as snag a digital rebel, a zoom lens, dv corder, and stuff to upgrade the computer to handle the DV. Now I need to get a helmet cam.
    I recently bought the Canon 20D with 17-85 lens and the Canon 70-300 zoom, and last week I bought a Sony DCR-HC 90 camcorder with wide angle lens to mount directly on my helmet to replace my lipstick cam. I love my Epic but I have been thinking about getting a second bike with more travel. Just came from my LBS and they offered me a Stumpjumper 120 Pro at a ridiculously low price. They are setting it up for me to try when I pick up my Epic on Wednesday. Give me strength!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

oh master---

---just give in to your desires. there is much strength in more travel
    Actually this is my 1st full suspension bike and 100 is perfect for my riding. One thing for sure my upper body seems no where near as sore as on the rides with the hardtail.

I think you'll be giving in to your weakness and procuring that stumpie 120. Enjoy.

I picked up the Canon Elura 65 for less than 400 at the PX---this year's models are about to be stocked. Probably wont get the lipstick cam for a while--maybe a b.d present from my wife late this summer. I need to get used to the cam first and thoroughly learn the Pinnacle Studio 9 plus program. I did successfully make a capture last night--on the 1st try. And made a nice slideshow DVD several weeks ago. So this emachine T3092 that all the mags enthused over as a budget PC will handle higher end tasks with increased memory and a fw card and better graphics card.

I know you and the other two who post up vids regularly would suggest trying to mount the cam on the helmet---maybe someday--I'm scared to tackle that right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    I recently bought the Canon 20D with 17-85 lens and the Canon 70-300 zoom, and last week I bought a Sony DCR-HC 90 camcorder with wide angle lens to mount directly on my helmet to replace my lipstick cam. I love my Epic but I have been thinking about getting a second bike with more travel. Just came from my LBS and they offered me a Stumpjumper 120 Pro at a ridiculously low price. They are setting it up for me to try when I pick up my Epic on Wednesday. Give me strength!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Seems like that bike is a pretty good XC bike but that's not a trail bike. i think the Enduro Pro is more of a "trail" bike. But it looks like they're classifying it as an "All-Mountain" bike. sheesh the classifications of differing bikes are getting pretty crazy.... Almost as crazy as what Specialized is asking for their Taiwan made bikes now, holy crap, so much for getting a good deal from buying from a large corporate bike company.....
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    yeah stumpy. I got a new one this year ('04 model) and I love it, love it, love it. bump for stumpy's sake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum
    Seems like that bike is a pretty good XC bike but that's not a trail bike. i think the Enduro Pro is more of a "trail" bike. But it looks like they're classifying it as an "All-Mountain" bike. sheesh the classifications of differing bikes are getting pretty crazy.... Almost as crazy as what Specialized is asking for their Taiwan made bikes now, holy crap, so much for getting a good deal from buying from a large corporate bike company.....
    Oh, c'mon. The Stumpy not a trail bike??? Give me a break. It's probably THE trail bike standard. The Enduro is the "all-mountain" bike.

If you ask me, any bike you ride on the trail is a trail bike. HT, SS, squishy, 150" travel DH rig (though, I'd enjoy watching you pedal that thing up the trail!), whatever. Some are better suited for it than others, but I just don't get all this "it's not a trail bike" crap. If you ride it on trails, it's a trail bike. Sheesh.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    Oh, c'mon. The Stumpy not a trail bike??? Give me a break. It's probably THE trail bike standard. The Enduro is the "all-mountain" bike.
    Maybe where you live.... but on more than half of the trails i ride here i'll take the enduro sx over a stumpy in a heartbeat. Seems like the sx will pedal just as effeciently and has more utility with the Fox 36 air and the variable travel, and more durability to punish and ride faster and harder if one were so inclined. The key here is not to focus on the amount of travel but the wieght of the bike stock is a mere 32. Sure you save probably around 4 or 5 lbs with the Stumpy but you also compromise stability and durability.

If you ask me, any bike you ride on the trail is a trail bike. HT, SS, squishy, 150" travel DH rig (though, I'd enjoy watching you pedal that thing up the trail!), whatever
    Actually my 45 lb 7inch SC Bullit pedals quite well up the hills, just need to get rid of the slow reezay dh tires i have on it. Big travel bikes with platform technology are enabling more travel without much wieght penalty and pedalling efficiency. Not to say that my Bullit isn't a pig though, but you may be amazed on how well it CAN climb, and in some instances of techy climbs, it can climb better since the suspension can float over the obstruction.

Some are better suited for it than others, but I just don't get all this "it's not a trail bike" crap. If you ride it on trails, it's a trail bike. Sheesh.
    You got a point, and i think that bike can and would do just fine as a trail bike. i won't dispute the mt. goat capabilities of that bike, which in almost all XC rides is half the battle. But this "All-Mountain" class is something completely new to me. A "Trail" bike was initially created (i thought) to describe an XC bike that excels in durability and is more capable for all around abuse. Looks like i'm behind the times in the "new" terminology. But still to me, that Stumpy is an XC bike, NOT THAT'S THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

XC BIKE

TRAIL BIKE

Last edited by Skookum; 05-10-2005 at 09:45 PM.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../