Wrench

Tour Divide Passion Photos

Howdy,

I've got a few pictures from Tour Divide I thought I would share. Granted, I'm no expert camera-slinger but some of these I thought were pretty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Those are awesome! I'd love to see more.

Wrench
    A few more. I'm most proud of this first one.

banned
    Sep 2007
    So stoked, glad to see you finished, a trip of a lifetime! Great catches there with the camera.

mtbr member
    Great pictures, what border town is at the first shot of the second set?

mtbr member
    First and foremost - Congrats you young whippersnapper and many more
    Great photos and thanks for sharing

Woody

Wrench
    Thanks Woody! I believe at 22 I'm the youngest to complete the race this year. Not sure about youngest of all time, though.

Quote Originally Posted by bajamtnbkr View Post
    Great pictures, what border town is at the first shot of the second set?
    Antelope Wells, NM. Not exactly a "town" as it is a border patrol station, a gate, and a cattle guard. The race goes from Banff, Alberta to Antelope Wells, NM, following the continental divide.

b a n n e d
    This is on my "Bucket List" of things to do . . . I'd love to hear more about how you prepared for such a journey.

Wrench
    OO7, just shoot me an email or message and I'd be happy to talk to you about it.

mtbr member
    Just very, very cool.

I would love to hear more about your trip as well. How you prepared and of course how the ride went for you personally. I'm sure, I'm not the only one who would really appreciate a little write up about it.

Pretty please...
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTraining View Post
    Just very, very cool.

I would love to hear more about your trip as well. How you prepared and of course how the ride went for you personally. I'm sure, I'm not the only one who would really appreciate a little write up about it.

Pretty please...
    Yes I second that!

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    Howdy,

I've got a few pictures from Tour Divide I thought I would share. Granted, I'm no expert camera-slinger but some of these I thought were pretty.
    The 5 hours that followed the crossing of this bridge sucked!
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Thanks Woody! I believe at 22 I'm the youngest to complete the race this year. Not sure about youngest of all time, though.

Antelope Wells, NM. Not exactly a "town" as it is a border patrol station, a gate, and a cattle guard. The race goes from Banff, Alberta to Antelope Wells, NM, following the continental divide.
    I think you are and Matthew Lee could probably confirm it for you. It should put you in the record book if you are the youngest.

As the others have said I too would love to hear more about it. I would like to attempt this bad boy, but not sure the body could handle it.
    Woody

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That must be the trip of a lifetime! I actually just finished watching the film today, It's got me so stoked for a long ride! Props on the ride, that's so unbelievable

Wrench
    Yes Element, that was a rough 5 hours. Whitefish is still the most beautiful town we went through on the trip, if only because it meant we were out of that snow!

I'll do what I can to give a write up. I'm about to go ride now (shocker), but tonight I'll have some time.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    It took me a while to do the descent down the other side into Whitefish when my camera ejected off my bars while speeding downhill and I had to stop and hunt for it

The BBQ joint in town went someway to redeem the day though after that nasty hike above Stryker.

For anyone interested in my attempt at the race this year I did little posts along the way while possible then full day recaps once I got home:

http://atomic6.blogspot.com
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Congratulations on your successful race. I read some of your posts at bikepacking.net, but couldn't reply because I never created an account there. So, Colorado Trail Race in 13 days (ha ha)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Congrats on your acomplishment. Simply amazing. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Not dead yet, just playin
    You finished the TD on a Sette hardtail!!?

Pricepoint ought to give you bikes for life

op
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ohpossum View Post
    You finished the TD on a Sette hardtail!!?

Pricepoint ought to give you bikes for life

op
    I like the way you think! Hah, I'll have to toss that idea their way. The least they could do is give me a little frame for my girlfriend's bike build...

Thanks guys. Also, I know a lot of you want a race write-up. The thing is, how do I structure it? I spent 30 days on a bike, so it may be easier just to have an open Q&A! But I'll see what I can write down from my journal and start a word document tonight.

And feel free to email or message me specific questions.

mtbr member
    Yes, very awesome and this is something I've always wanted to do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    It took me a while to do the descent down the other side into Whitefish when my camera ejected off my bars while speeding downhill and I had to stop and hunt for it

The BBQ joint in town went someway to redeem the day though after that nasty hike above Stryker.

For anyone interested in my attempt at the race this year I did little posts along the way while possible then full day recaps once I got home:

http://atomic6.blogspot.com
    Very nice blog.

I hope the knees and Achilles tendons are healing nicely!

Ovaries on the Outside
    ****ing amazing. Thanks for posting. I really admire guys like you that get out and ride it.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Did you do the Grand Start? Or a Solo Time Trial? I spent many a spare moment watching the Spot Trackers move from North to South, seeing riders give it their all for 18+ hours a day, dodging forest fires near Abuiqui, fight the hike a bike single track scetion north of Silver City from Grants Pass, etc.

Some links

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ind...2179.1340.html

http://tourdivide.org/leaderboard

Wrench
    Yes, I started with everyone at the Grand Depart. I figured if I was going to do this, I may only do it once so I was going to do it right.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Yes, I started with everyone at the Grand Depart. I figured if I was going to do this, I may only do it once so I was going to do it right.
    Which one were you on this?

http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide#leaderboard

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Nicholas Kennedy, at about 31 days.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Don't know if it's possible to have more passion about mtb-ing than a TD finisher!

Congratulations!

Wrench
    Here are a few more for you guys to enjoy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Congrats on your finish! The guys at salsa posted a great Q&A with Kurt on their blog. Reading that was more entertaining to me than watching RTD.

How did the Crossmarks hold up? They would certainly be my first choice for a ride like that..

Wrench
    The Crossmarks? I'm not sure whether or not to blame them or a bad tube for my fiasco in the Wyoming Basin.

So here's the story. I am feeling pretty beat by the time I get to Atlantic City, WY. I have dinner there and chat with other riders. They arrived earlier and were about to head into the basin to try to knock a little off of the 130 miles between Atlantic City and Rawlins. Those 130 miles take you though a basin that's mostly devoid of humans and rather dry. It's a nasty, rough spot during the race.

But I'm feeling bad and I could see rainclouds on the horizon. So I decide to stay in Atlantic City that night. I ordered two extra burgers from the place I was eating dinner and called it a night.

The next morning (didn't get much sleep, couldn't stop thinking about a 130 mile day across the high desert) I started out and was on the road by 5:45 AM. I was keeping a great speed until mile 60, where I got my first flat in my rear tire.

I'm 60 miles from Atlantic City, 70 from Rawlins, 50 from the nearest town. Great. I whip out my patch kit and go to work on this tube. I made sure my tire was clean, found a pebble that had gotten in there from my last tube-change session, used my (terrible) pump to give me a little pressure to go on, and kept going. 3 miles later I'm flat again.

So I find another hole, patch it, and keep going.

5 miles later, another flat. I'm starting to run out of patches.

Luckily for me I got that fixed and I didn't have any problems until mile 115 or so. 15 miles to go. It was probably close to 7 or 8 o'clock PM by that time.

Then everything went to hell. I got a flat and could not for the life of me find the hole. But it didn't matter, because apparently I was out of vulcanizing fluid and only had one patch left anyway. The tube just would not hold air at all. I know my tire had around 1300 miles on it by then, but really? Maybe it was a bad tube. I dunno.

Long story short, it was either ride a flat at 4-5 mph into town and take 3 hours getting there, or ride on my rim (no tire/tube at all) and go 10 mph. I picked the 10 mph option, hoping I could get a new wheel or rim in Rawlins.I was lucky that it finally bit the dust totally while I was on a section of pavement.

I made it into rawlins tired, hungry, a bit cold, and very pissed. But I made it, 15 miles on my rim. It was totally demolished.

I'm not sure what to blame for the fiasco. The crossmarks were holding up fine up front, but I think my rear tire wore down quick. Or perhaps it was a bad tube? Whatever it was, it was not fun.

I replaced the rear tire with a Ritchey Innovader.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    15 miles on a rim on a hardtail had to be a b1tch! That is some epic determination. I probably wouldn't have even thought of that. Kudos on the finish. Amazing stuff. Those pics almost made me float off my chair and straight to my bike, in hopes of seeing the same. Thanks. Great accomplishment.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Congrats on an amazing ride, and I'm sure a crazy cool experience. 15 miles on a rim!! Awesome.

mtbr member
    Felicidades!

Occidental Tourist
    Love it. Thanks for sharing.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The Crossmarks? I'm not sure whether or not to blame them or a bad tube for my fiasco in the Wyoming Basin.
    Wow! That sounds like it coulda happened with any tubed tire! Mavics are tough rims - did you finish the tour on the trashed rim?

It's about showing up.
    Absolutely superb!

Well done, son.
    I don't rattle.

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ftw View Post
    wow! That sounds like it coulda happened with any tubed tire! Mavics are tough rims - did you finish the tour on the trashed rim?
    x2?
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    great pics thanks for posting

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Thanks for sharing and what a story!
    Congrats on completing the race!!!

Wrench
    No, I picked up a cheap 9 speed wheel at Rawlins and that got me to steamboat (sans a rear brake!) Where I was able to grab a new, better rear wheel. I saved the hub from my trashed wheel though.