mtbr member

Topeak Moonshine 3H Light. Anyone??....

Haven't seen any reviews. I found one for about $150. Anyone have any experience on it?

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Not the 3H, but I've seen several reviews that have slated the mounting bracket and general build of the Topeak HID. Couple of people on Singletrackworld have swapped it immediately for a better light. Can't remember if it was the battery that they lost, or the light itself - or possibly both. The mag review didn't think much of it either.
    Wibble

mtbr member
    May 2004

moonshine 3H

I'd like to find that review, but haven't had any luck. Nashbar has them for 99.95 right now and for all that comes in the package, it sounds like a great deal. If the stock stuff went to pot, I figure I could canablize something real nice out of it. May pull a DIY light system.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroG
    Haven't seen any reviews. I found one for about $150. Anyone have any experience on it?

Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$99. That is so effin cheap! I'm playing with one right now to add in the mtbr lights shootout. Quality seems solid and there's sooo many cool things about it. It's also a good value at $229 since it's got electronic switching, fast charger and a lithium ion battery.
    - the battery is soo light and it can mount on the stem.

francois

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Bit more info on the problems here. As said, if you're getting a great deal and don't assume that they're put together solidly, might be worth it. The poster is a solid character - works in a shop and a fast racer, not an idiot who didn't read the manual.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/foru...#reply_1083908
    Wibble

mtbr member
    May 2004

Francois, what are the high points and low...............

I know the price seems right, but can you shed some "light" on the things that impress you about the light and the things that don't, or do I have to wait for you to put it into the light shootout?

I had settled on picking up a Lume Vado through the hot deals, but the Topeak has some features (at a lower price) that are missing on the Vado (switching, lithium ion). I just want to make sure that it will stand up to a what I would call "moderate use" trail riding. Sealing against the elements is pretty important, and I can't tell from pictures how (or if) the Topeak keeps out water.

The thing that bothers me about the Lume is that it is only factory serviceable. Even for changing the bulb! That means the whole she-bang has to be shipped to Lume (at your expense) plus the cost of the bulb.

BTW, Nashbar doesn't have them anymore. I just checked. Bummer, if the outcome of your testing is positive, I may still look for the 3H elsewhere.
    Last edited by Ventanardr; 11-08-2004 at 11:08 AM.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanardr
    I know the price seems right, but can you shed some "light" on the things that impress you about the light and the things that don't, or do I have to wait for you to put it into the light shootout?

I had settled on picking up a Lume Vado through the hot deals, but the Topeak has some features (at a lower price) that are missing on the Vado (switching, lithium ion). I just want to make sure that it will stand up to a what I would call "moderate use" trail riding. Sealing against the elements is pretty important, and I can't tell from pictures how (or if) the Topeak keeps out water.

The thing that bothers me about the Lume is that it is only factory serviceable. Even for changing the bulb! That means the whole she-bang has to be shipped to Lume (at your expense) plus the cost of the bulb.

BTW, Nashbar doesn't have them anymore. I just checked. Bummer, if the outcome of your testing is positive, I may still look for the 3H elsewhere.
    No more at Nashbar huh... bummer. That $99 deal really sounded to good to be true.

As far as the light is concerned, I've just been playing around with it at my desk. So who knows how good it'll be on the trail!

Highlights:
    - Lithium Ion battery is soo light. It's sealed in a hard case.
    - fast, smart charger
    - nice light with 3 settings
    - electronic switch that steps down automatically when battery is low
    - come with handlebar mount and helmet mount
    - handlebar mount puts light in the center of handlebar
    - battery can be mounted on the top cap or the stem
    - remote switch placed right by the shifters

Lowlights:
    - don't know yet.
    - top cap battery will break off if you crash
    - not super-bright

This is a halogen lamp with a runtime of 2:10 on the high setting. The HID version is much brighter and a runtime of about 3 hours on the same battery.

francois

mtbr member
    May 2004

Any trail test updates?

Francois - any more notes from the field? Nashbar has them back at 149.99.