mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Too old to experiment with flats?

Any words of advice for a 54 year old novice weekend warrior who's concluded flats are the way to take my riding to the next level because pushing the envelope when clipped in just makes me nervous.

ready to ride
    Deity Compound.
    Inexpensive about $50, good grip, light, durable, sealed bearings what more could you ask for.

I'm a big fan of flats and I think the Deity Compounds are the best bang for your buck bar none. They are plastic ie nylon fiber composite, but I have found that is actually an advantage when it comes to pedal strikes. I have gone OTB because my metal pedals have dug in and gripped what ever it was I hit. The compounds just glide right off rocks etc.

Great pedals, google them, you will see they get great reviews on this forum and else where.

Cheers
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

Airborne Flight Crew
    I have to second the suggestion for the Deity Compounds. I have them on two of my bikes, plus the wife's too. All of what mattnmtns says is right on, plus you can easily rebuilt them - if needed. Deity sells the parts, and even just the bodies alone, in the unlikely event you break one.

The same pedal is also sold under different company names, HT components has the exact pedal, and Nukeproof (available on the Chainreaction site) too.

Good luck, never too late!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    After about 15 years clipped in I switched over to flats full time when I was 56. I spent a couple of winters using flats then 2 years ago I just didn't go back to the clips for the summer. You give up a little on the climbs or if you are racing but they're much better for jumping, riding skinnies or any kind of sketchy descent.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I think new riders should start with flats unless you are accustomed to clipless from road biking. Worrying about being clipped in while you are learning to ride is a lot to take into consideration and can cause more harm than good. Start with flats then think about clipless when you are comfortable on flats. I ride clipless 99% of the time. I have a set of flats and Teva Rails for when it snows or flats are more convenient (shuttles, etc..)

mtbr member
    Get some nice grippe shoes. It will give you more control and make you less likely to slip off a pedal. Personally I like anything made by 5.10.

Wear shin pads when starting out especially if you've been riding clipped in for a while. It is easy to forget you're on flats and you'll pull up on the pedal. Those pins can do a number on you real fast!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    +1, shin pads mandatory.

mtbr member
    more props for the compounds. great buy. never too old. if you have a pumptrack near by it's a great way to learn just how to weight them for technique that translates to a trail immediately! pumptrack is low risk high reward back!
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    imo..your missing the boat, just take a two week learning curve and you will never look back. Clip it
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Switched to flats last year at age 59 after running clipless for over 15 years. Love the Deity Decoy LT pedal with a 5:10 shoe. They were easy to adjust to. However, after half a season, I began to get nasty pains in my right knee during and after riding. The Doc suggested switching back to clipless pedals and had valid reasons for doing so. I finally switched back late last season and the pain went away. Go figure.

In retrospect, the flats were fun but I enjoy clipless better.

mtbr member
    They will feel odd at first and will take a while to get used to. You'll find the pedals seem to fall away from your feet riding over drops. Just don't give up on them. After a few weeks you'll naturally start moving your legs/body to stay on them. Have fun!

ball sack
    Oct 2013
    55 here. I use 5:10's on Straightline Amps. The pedals are more expensive, but are very low weight and indestructible as near as I can tell. Extremely easy to rebuild, although I've got well over 1,000 miles on mine and they have required no maintenance yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Any words of advice for a 54 year old novice weekend warrior who's concluded flats are the way to take my riding to the next level because pushing the envelope when clipped in just makes me nervous.
    Pushing it to the next level would actually be learning to adjust and use your clipless pedals so you're not afraid you won't be able to unclip. If you did know this wouldn't be a concern.

mtbr member
    I think that if you ride clipless on less technical rides for awhile and do a lot of clipping and unclipping, you'll feel a lot more comfortable with them. I'm 64 and feel uncomfortable without them. Give it some time and practice with them a bit.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Gottago, I would recommend getting a dropper post (if you don't already have one). It'll keep your seat from bucking you off whatever pedals you get.
    You need to be able to let the bike suck up between your legs and keep the knees loose and bent (while jumping or doing drops).
    BTW I'll be 60 this year and only ride flats and keep up with my buddies just fine.

+1 on getting some leg armor also!
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

29ers Forever
    Large flat pedals are the best. Especially when riding on more technical terrain.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yup ! your just to old for flats....can I suggest metal detecting or something less strenuous ??? lol KIDDING

I prefer clipless " i'm 53 " and my brother " 50 " prefers flats. We ride together on every ride , neither complains.

My take is you'll likely lose a little on long climbs but may gain a little confidents in the rough.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I will respectfully disagree with this view. I'm 51, live in western Colorado (Grand Junction), and ride more technical stuff than I ever have, exclusively clipped in. Tried flats but hated how many technical climbing spots I couldn't make that I normally do clipped in. I like being clipped in on the sketchy descents; gives me a feeling of control. Some riders around here are on flats, but I bet it's 80/20 in favor of being clipped in.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Miller View Post
    After about 15 years clipped in I switched over to flats full time when I was 56. I spent a couple of winters using flats then 2 years ago I just didn't go back to the clips for the summer. You give up a little on the climbs or if you are racing but they're much better for jumping, riding skinnies or any kind of sketchy descent.
    OVER the rocks, not around

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Too old to experiment with flats?-image.jpgJust got the VP 001s and I like them a lot. I think they were like $60 and they look good too!

mtbr member
    Never too late at all. I will say: however, you should maybe initially invest in some knee/shin guards as flat pedals can really do some damage. I've seen lacerations down to the bone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Too old to experiment with flats?

I think I'm too old to chance being clipped in. Off course I've only ever ridden flats. I like being able to bail if needed!

Magically Delicious
    Bailing becomes second nature with clipless once you've got the plan figured out. You won't even think about it...it become instinctive.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X