Now... harder to kill.

Today was perfect...

Last night I spent some time in the garage with my bike. I finally powdered up the tubes and swapped out those ragged tires for some new ones. Then I cleaned the frame, lubed the chain and cables, and snugged up the bolts. Lastly, I lowered my stem about 1/3 inch and then put the whole thing to bed.

This morning I had breakfast with the wife and kid and was rolling down the driveway by 0730. It was a bit chilly, but by the time I hit the trailhead at the bottom of the hill, the layers had to come off. On the first climb I was struck by how much better the bike went with the new tires and stem adjustment. What had I been thinking? On the way down it was the same feeling, I was railing the corners faster than ever. On top of all this, I was riding with my Ipod on random and it seemed the music was choreographed for the trail. On the climbs I had rock with a steady drum, and on the descents the frantic thrashing of speedmetal. Two hours later it was over, without fresh bloodletting or a broken part, It seemed flawless except for one thing, I'm out of shape because I don't ride enough. Work, family, winter cold, etc...all the usual excuses. Today they all seem lame.

I'm laying this out because I think some of you out there may understand. You've had that day where it all flowed together and made sense, where you were unstopable. This morning, that was me.

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    I totally understand. Had the same type of day today, complete with early season out of shapeness. Knew it was supposed to be nice today, but it was already 67 out by 11 am. Cleaned a couple sections that I'd never done top-to-bottom before and the MP3's were all spot on. Almost stacked but didn't. The ride back to the trailhead is down an old fire road, drops about 400 ft in 1.5 mi and the forestry service had apparently been through in the past couple of days and trimmed some overhanging tree branches. So I screamed down the hill, bunny hopping 4 and 5 inch log/branches all over. The sun was bright and my face hurt from smiling so much. Then I got back to my jeep at the trailhead and...

SOB !!!! My rear passenger-side tire was completely flat. Oh well, I stretched, ate a banana, and then got out the jack... Thanks to the combo of adrenaline afterglow, earth's yellow sun, and some choice music, my mood could not be swayed. Gotta love those days.

Ya, right.

Ridin'

I know what you guys mean. I love it when my MOJO is up and I'm hitting on all 8 cylinders. I usually ride better in the afternoons for some reason, but last Saturday morning was an exception to that rule. I rode my local trail with a buddy of mine who is in WAY better shape than me, and usually has to kick it down a notch for me to keep up.

I cleaned all the hills quicker than ever and was extremely focused on all the technical sections. We rode a time of 1:45 on a ride that is usually more like a 1:55-2:00. When we finished, my buddy mentioned that I rode very strong and that he never let up the whole time

What a ride.....
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    yesterday was one of those days for me. i did my first night ride. i rode with a couple of guys that were much stronger than me and did my best to keep up. something about riding at night and being totally spent has had me grinning for the last 24 hours.