Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Title of most devasted trail system

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  SHIVER ME TIMBERS 
#1 ·
Belongs to Happy Camp near Moorpark CA. The fires killed the vegetation then the rains brought down mountains of sand and repaved the valley (picture 1). The fireroad in the valley is gone though some section remains as hanging terraces, up to 50' drops. Once upon a time the valley below had a singletrack under a dense canopy of oaks (picture 2). So the only way to go is to ride the new valley floor (picture 3 (see bikes?)). And try to make the best of the new terrain, note cliff on right (picture 4). Picture 5 - A smothered valley.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
pacman said:
We climbed and climbed (5 words yet?)
Just make sure you don't lock the rear wheel and skid, or ride in the rain. We don't want any ruts to develop. ;) (For the sarcasm impared, this was an attempt at it)

Makes ya realize that regardless of what any recreation user group does to a plot of land, mother nature can always shake the etch a sketch and start over.

JmZ

#12 ·
I hear ya...

shiggy said:
That is nothing compared to a western Oregon trail that has clearcut. Not because of erosion but becuse everything has been turned up and is covered with a tangled jumble of debris and brush that gets worse with time.
I used to ride an area in the Coast Range near McMinnville called High Heaven that was absolutly beautiful. I've heard the whole area is devastated now since it was clearcut. It sucks to be rippin' through the rainforest on perfect singletrack and then pop out into acres of stumps.

#13 ·
whydomylegshurt? said:
Ways to keep your job, use terms like fluvial geomorphology to make others think it takes years of education to do what you do. Ways to lose your job, use normal english and say the mud went and slid down a hill, then it stopped when there weren't no hill no more.
precicely...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.