mtbr member

Tire Question Pro-Cons of 2.1 vs 1.8 panaracer xc

Hi All
    I have a chance a getting pair panaracer fire xc kevlar 1.8 tires for my bike for a great deal. I am currently using panaracer fire xc 2.1 on my bike. Is there that much difference between the two tires. I ride in NoCAL around Auburn and Granite Bay. The tires I have been using have held up great so far and I was going to get them again but I found this deal on EBAY. Will the 1.8 be as durable as the 2.1 when I bounce over and around the rocks of the confluence trails? I am riding a IF Deluxe Hardtail and kind of think the bigger tires give my bike a little more compliance and durabilty. Just wondering.. Thanks for any input.

It's not what you think.

Cool-blue Rhythm Boy you're just asking for trouble

I can't believe the sack you have to ask for tire info on the passion board, are you crazy?
    You're just setting yourself up for a smartazz to tell you to go ask your simpleton question on this board; http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/ And, to think you're located in NorCal, you might even see one of these easily offended folks on the trail. If you do, you'll want to pay close attention to their tires as they'll be the best available. Good thing I'm on the East Coast so I can inform you early. Go now and don't look back as this may get ugly.

FWIW, 2.1's on a hardtail may be a better choice.... but you didn't see that here.
    SORBA-Woodstock Diggin' dirt since 1999.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrob
    Hi All
    I have a chance a getting pair panaracer fire xc kevlar 1.8 tires for my bike for a great deal. I am currently using panaracer fire xc 2.1 on my bike. Is there that much difference between the two tires. I ride in NoCAL around Auburn and Granite Bay. The tires I have been using have held up great so far and I was going to get them again but I found this deal on EBAY. Will the 1.8 be as durable as the 2.1 when I bounce over and around the rocks of the confluence trails? I am riding a IF Deluxe Hardtail and kind of think the bigger tires give my bike a little more compliance and durabilty. Just wondering.. Thanks for any input.
    Like AlloyNip[ples said the Wheels and Tires forum has the answer. In case you did not get over there yet, I found this thread specifically:

1.8 or 2.1 for XC racing? Help

I was curious too.

We get titles?

fire 1.8's

Quote Originally Posted by rollinrob
    Hi All

I rode the Fire 1.8's for a while and found them to be very fast. Nice tire for hardpack, espicially if you're racing. But, I abandoned them becuause I was getting constant pinchflats. I had to pump them up to 55-60PSI to avoid pinchflats. Who wants to ride tires at 60PSI? Not me.

mtbr member

Fast Answer

I use the 1.8 for racing only...great and fast on hard pack, sketchy on rocky stuff. I use the 2.1 for normal riding.