mtbr member

Time to change bars??.... Now!!!??

I put a pretty good gash in the coating of my 2 year old Easton Monkey Lite carbon fiber bars the other day while crashing at Bootleg Canyon. I've already ordered some new bars, but I want to know if these are safe to ride at all, or are they an immediate broken clavicle/face plant sort of thing. I want to ride tomorrow and no bars yet....... I could change over a bar from another bike, I guess..... but who wants to do that it they don't have to.

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I put a pretty good gash in the coating of my 2 year old Easton Monkey Lite carbon fiber bars the other day while crashing at Bootleg Canyon. I've already ordered some new bars, but I want to know if these are safe to ride at all, or are they an immediate broken clavicle/face plant sort of thing. I want to ride tomorrow and no bars yet....... I could change over a bar from another bike, I guess..... but who wants to do that it they don't have to.
    How much do you like the looks of your face right now? That should play into your final decision.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

I much prefer high grade aluminum. EA70 or something similiar. Flame away...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Just use some duct tape and a bar

Well you could always follow the advice of Paul Harvey and put some JB Weld on the gash.......but if you don't have any of that.....

How about finding some piece of steel about 6 inches long and place it near the gash then wrap about 10 layers of duct tape around the bar and piece of steel..
    That way when and if it goes, you will still have a tiny amount of control as it kind of hangs on there until you can make a controlled crash instead of just wiping out on that big rock.. Kind of like having a piece of rope to hang onto..

Certainly not a true solution but it may make you "feel" better for this one ride...
    Make sure your health insurance is paid up and if you have a mouth piece, you might wear it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    I much prefer high grade aluminum. EA70 or something similiar. Flame away...
    No flames from me. This is exactly why I stay away from carbon bars.