Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nocturnal oblivion

Tick season! Any suggestions for riding companion?

My pooch has been averaging 2 ticks a day, my girlfriend just today had 2 as well (she's blaming the dog , I've had zero). As much as I'd like to I can't put a collar on my girlfriend. Any non-toxic repellents that you've found to work? I've been reading about 'essential oils' and others but that's all from the unreliable section of the internet.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Well... I mean, you could always stop riding.... No more ticks, at least!
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

usually cranky
    for your girlfriend or your dog?

mtbr member
    You can’t stop ticks, unless you avoid the outdoors as Erik1245 suggests, not practical. For your girlfriend, you should arrange a full body inspection after every ride (ya, I know, you’ll start riding with her five times a day). The object is to remove all wandering ticks before they bite and stay. Tick diseases are nasty and can keep you from riding for days if you get sick. For the pup, I use Frontline Flea and Tick every month. You should keep an eye on the dog’s coat and remove any wandering and biting ticks as well. Remember to try not to squeeze them when removing, a pair of tweezers at the front of the tick vice the squeezing the body will remove better. Don’t try to burn them off or you will have other problems.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

I always bleed like this.
    It will only partially protect but if you are in a really bad area you could use permathrin, (or whatever it's called). It works great, just never spray directly on your skin and let it dry on your gear/clothes before using them. Don't stand down wind when spraying.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I contracted Lyme disease about 8 years ago. Not fun. Doing fine now, but I wouldn't suggest it. I found one on me the other day after a gravel road ride. Go figure.

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7
    I contracted Lyme disease about 8 years ago. Not fun. Doing fine now, but I wouldn't suggest it. I found one on me the other day after a gravel road ride. Go figure.
    That does suck. Buddy of mine had it, no bueno. Anyone ever try garlic? Apparently people feed the garlic capsules to their pets, might also work for mosquitos they say.

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    We used to do the garlic powder thing for our cats to prevent fleas. I just read recently though that garlic has been added to lists of what's considered toxic for dogs and cats...? Anybody else?

"Onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient thiosulphate. Onions are more of a danger."

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=2414

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The CDC has an alarming list of tickborne diseases here

I've known two people who became ill from tick bites. Once contracted bubonic plague, likely from hiking near a prairie dog colony (New Mexico: land of the flea, home of the plague) and another who got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (yeah, the tick has the spots, not the person). We thought this came from hanging out for lunch near where mountain goats had bedded down deep in the Bob Marshall wilderness of Montana.

Fortunately, neither illness is viral and so both were cured by a course of antibiotics, but both people were seriously ill.

CDC does recommend using DEET or Permethrin to repel ticks.

# Products containing permethrin can be used to treat clothing and gear, such as boots, pants, socks and tents. It remains protective through several washings.
    # Repellents containing 20% or more DEET (N, N-diethyl-m-toluamide) can be applied to the skin, and they can protect up to several hours. Always follow product instructions! Parents should apply this product to their children, avoiding hands, eyes, and mouth.
    # Other repellents registered by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) may be found at http://cfpub.epa.gov/oppref/insect/

# Tumbling clothes in a dryer on the highest heat for at least one hour may help kill remaining ticks.
    # Shower soon after being outdoors. Showering within two hours of coming indoors has been shown to reduce your risk of being bitten by a tick.

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    Chiggers suck too. Went hunting as a kid and my friend got a chigger on the end of his... flugelhorn and put some "Chigger Rid" on it. Apparently it burns if it gets in the end of your flugelhorn...

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by tjchad
    Chiggers suck too. Went hunting as a kid and my friend got a chigger on the end of his... flugelhorn and put some "Chigger Rid" on it. Apparently it burns if it gets in the end of your flugelhorn...
    My dog had a tick on her...uh...flugelnub? It was well burrowed by the time I found it. We've been closer ever since.
    I'm going to try a DIY garlic spray on the dog, seeing as ingestion may be bad for them. I found a recipe online using minced garlic, mineral oil, soap and water. Filled a spray bottle with it this morning and it is very potent. My dog will obviously stink of garlic.

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    But you'll be safe from vampires.

Quote Originally Posted by tjchad
    We used to do the garlic powder thing for our cats to prevent fleas. I just read recently though that garlic has been added to lists of what's considered toxic for dogs and cats...? Anybody else?

"Onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient thiosulphate. Onions are more of a danger."

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=2414
    This is not recently considered toxic to dogs and cats. It's long been recognized to be toxic to dogs and cats, and cats, ESPECIALLY, are sensitive. And the dried, powdered garlic is ESPECIALLY bad. Get the garlic away from your cat NOW.

Why has nobody recommended topicals like Frontline Plus or Advantix for the dog? You can get it at practically any pet store now.

Be careful what you give to cats or dogs who live in households with cats. Some of the topical flea/tick medications are VERY toxic to cats. Asking a veterinarian should help you figure out which product works best in your area and in your specific situation. It's something of a shame that the stuff is available everywhere now, because you lose the valuable advice of a veterinarian if you skip that part.

Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    My dog had a tick on her...uh...flugelnub? It was well burrowed by the time I found it. We've been closer ever since.
    I'm going to try a DIY garlic spray on the dog, seeing as ingestion may be bad for them. I found a recipe online using minced garlic, mineral oil, soap and water. Filled a spray bottle with it this morning and it is very potent. My dog will obviously stink of garlic.
    Don't do it. Anything you put on your dog's body is likely to get ingested. Dogs lick themselves.

Delirious Tuck
    Frontline is what we use up here in New England. Once a month application, seems to work well and our dog is fine.

Token Hillbilly
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar
    Frontline is what we use up here in New England. Once a month application, seems to work well and our dog is fine.
    This^
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    Nate, good advice. We did check with our vet to ensure the stuff used on the dogs is cat safe as well. Right now we're using Advantage on the herd.

When used the garlic powder it was recommended as a way to prevent fleas in a "holistic" cat care book (late '80's). I no longer trust the holistic approach to most things as it seems like a lot of crap info is floating around.

mtbr member
    I’m no expert on this, but I do spend a lot of time in the woods with my K9. Seems what folks here want is a repellent. For K9, Frontline is a bite-and-die for the ticks. The chemical is in the dog’s blood stream. Advantage boasts that they are also a repellent which is why it may be too strong and make some dogs sick. A good flea/tick collar if worn all season will repel ticks on K9. For us humans, short of permethrin, an insecticide not to be applied direct to skin, there really is no repellent. I stand by the find ‘em and pull off before they bite. Unlike mosquitoes which are attracted to carbon dioxide from your breath, ticks are just parasites which drop on you when you rub into trees, grass, and plants on the trail.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

namagomi
    Shaving legs?

Change in the parking lot, check yourself there, bag the clothes and wash. A good pair of pliers and a magnifying glass.

DEET seems to work, depending on how desperate they are.

Damn parasites.

Moderator Moderator
    When I lived in Maine, my dog would get 25-50 dog ticks on a ride. I just went over him afterward (you can feel them better than you can see them), and kept a gross tick-filled bottle of alcohol handy to dump them into as I picked them off. - easier than flushing each one. These were not lyme-disease carrying deer ticks, so they were more gross than dangerous...but they are a lot less gross if you find them before they are engorged with blood. I didn't get as many on the bike, but a few. In the field for work we'd get plenty, we would scan our outer clothes for them when we were done, and then if we felt any crawling in the truck,we just threw them out the window.

mtbr member
    the only thing i got out of reading this thread is that
    1) dogs and cats may be related to vampires, and
    2) some dude fondled his dog's flugelnub

mtbr member
    The good news is that most diseases need the tick to be 'attached' for 24+ hours for the disease to transfer. Some of the minor ones are 6-8 hours, but none of them are 'instant'.

As long as you do a thorough tick check after each ride (yay, naked time with the SO), you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekFan
    the only thing i got out of reading this thread is that
    1) dogs and cats may be related to vampires, and
    2) some dude fondled his dog's flugelnub
    lmao

I opened this thread hoping to get some good advice too.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nasium
    lmao

I opened this thread hoping to get some good advice too.
    Since when has any thread on here not contained a significant amount of bullshitting?
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7
    my cousin has it. his knees swell up so bad he can barely walk. hes on a drug regimin that costs 13k a year. so yeah, ticks are bad news. i use frontline on my cat, sometimes ticks get on him but never bite. for me i wear crew socks and off and then check myself out in the shower.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast