mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Those days you just don't want to ride

So I get up at 5:45am on Sunday morning to get ready for our scheduled ride. I'm already tired due to having to put the clock ahead. I look out the window and it's miserable out - cold and rainy. I call my buddy to bail on the ride (do I really want to drive an hour and a half to ride for 4-5 hours in the rain?) and, as usual, he talks me into going.

We get to the ride and our once mighty group now totals 3. It's really raining at this point so we decide to cut the ride to 3 hours. A cop in the parking lot asks us if we're crazy, I don't blame him. We're all miserable and complaining as we start the ride.

Then a funny thing happened. The trail was in pretty good shape, made it up a killer climb better then I ever had before, it stopped raining half way through the ride, and I rode about as good as I could on the descent. I'm in heaven.

We get back to the car and all I could do was thank my buddy for making me ride. The sun even peaked out for a bit. Funny how things work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Smails
    So
    We get to the ride and our once mighty group now totals 3. It's really raining at this point so we decide to cut the ride to 3 hours. A cop in the parking lot asks us if we're crazy, I don't blame him. We're all miserable and complaining as we start the ride.

Then a funny thing happened. The trail was in pretty good shape, made it up a killer climb better then I ever had before, it stopped raining half way through the ride, and I rode about as good as I could on the descent. I'm in heaven.

We get back to the car and all I could do was thank my buddy for making me ride. The sun even peaked out for a bit. Funny how things work.
    Funny how that works. I still remember my first MTBR ride at Berryman Last march with Lakeraven and company. It even snowed on me as I drove to the campground and I spent the night in a 25 tent. Saturday was spent riding the Berryman loop.... a long toe freezing, balls frosting ride. After the ride was over I complained a little about being cold. Gary said "any day spent riding is a good day". He was exactly right. Even though I was cold and wet I still had a great ride with great people. When the chance presents itself again I will freeze my big ass off and have a beotchin ride!
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

Ont-Trail-Rider

lol

this past Sunday I was in your shoes. Except we had strong winds and had snow flurrys the previous night! Sunday I still decided to show for the group ride and it was only the four of us, but it was so much fun. Glad I went also. A bad day of riding is still better then a good day of work! But the ride was awsome and trail was very good actually.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I had exactly the oposite experience of you guys a couple days ago. It was the first day that I had an opportunity to get out and ride my brand new bike (aside from riding across campus at school a few times) and I decided to explore the woods next to my house (which have really shrunk over the 20 years I've lived here). I get through the woods and can see a relatively steep, semi wet looking downhill and a bunch of tracks left by ATV'ers. I start riding, and about 50 yards down the hill I go over the handlebars into much wetter than expected mud. I decided to ride around a little bit and ended up getting stuck in mud halfway up to my axles a few times (it looked a lot drier than it ended up being). After about 20 minutes, I gave up and went back home. I spent more time cleaning the mud off my bike and drivetrain than I spent riding, but at least I got out.