Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: There.

This place needs an enema

There.

Winter arrived locally late in November, intensifying into one of the coldest ever recorded 'round these parts.  The snow wasn't deep but you had no choice but to acknowledge and adapt to it.  Sub-zero temps also required adaptation, but that's just details: wear more clothes, not too many.

We live where we do because we enjoy and embrace seasonal variety.  130* of temperature variation and a playing field ranging from 4500' to 11,000' foster a diversity that leaves no choice but to keep things in perspective.

So that we might better maintain that perspective, we stepped away from home for a few days last month.  Drove to a land of warmth, light, rock and water to embrace what winter felt like there

Our first stop was Prescott, where Eric came out of semi-retirement to remind us how to ride.

He did as requested, starting us easy on our first dirt/rock/real ride in over a month.

Then he shocked all present by leaving the ground--entirely and on purpose.  It was a cool move that I couldn't help but to mimic.

Steep.

Little Miss Manual shook off the cobwebs and dove in.

As did I.

While Eric powered ahead, yammering ceaselessly about the upcoming trail or move or sequence, Jeny and I exchanged non-stop "omfg!" glances.  We were on dry rock, riding mountain bikes, with exposed skin.  Hallelujah.  

Rolling the spine line.

"MOMMY!"

The shot above and the one below are the same move, same line.  Much longer, steeper, more technical and committing than any still shot can show.  Eric smooved it.

And then Jeny gave it a shot.

Dan's notch from the seaward side.

Dan's from land.

The Dells are home to an unparalleled (and growing) trail system, catering to all levels of rider and hiker.  Many of the trails have signs warning bikes off of them--these are the ones we've learned to enjoy the most.

As the shadows got long the mild temps sharpened, reminding us to save something for the next few days.

They grow 'em odd, and hungry, around here.

One last detail to attend to before we called it an evening and went in search of food.

Later, I was compelled to execute a three-lane-change without a turn-signal.  That's what happens when Trader Joes appears without warning...

More to come--stay tuned.

mtbr member
    Yahoo! Wish I could ride like that. Used to hike those "trails". Can't imagine riding them. Amazing as always. Thanks Mike.
    The older I get the better I was...

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Stay tuned--more to come.
    Good. I am finding myself really looking forward to these. Very cool shots!

Powered by ice cream.
    [QUOTE=mikesee;10980961

One last detail to attend to before we called it an evening and went in search of food.

[QUOTE]

Help me out, what did she break on the bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Gotta pay to play
    looks like chain suck to me.

mtbr member
    Aloha!!! Awesome Passion Post!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Awesome photos.

Here I am bikeless... one day hoping to do stuff even half as awesome as shown here.

~*~*~*~*~
    Oh man, so jealous - of your riding ability, of your photography ability, of those trails, of that scenery, but you know what? good on you for having all of that! :-)

slow
    Thanks for the reminder that every day will not be below zero like today was. Great story and pix, as always.

mtbr member
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Thusly supplied with pounds of Trader Joes necessities, we made our way to the Verde River day run.  

Overcast skies and moderate temps kept the fair-weather boaters away, leaving us with a quiet day on a fun and scenic stretch.

Jeny boat scouted then ran almost every rapid, choosing clean lines and executing them with skill.

Her smile sums up the way we felt after a day of December padding.

Next on tap: South Mountain Park in Phoenix.  And yes, I'm a sucker for leafing ocotillo.

Warm temps on a weekend meant the trails were packed.  Rookie move on my part, but we made the most of it by sessioning when needed--to give groups time to play through--and moving when that made more sense to do.

I've ridden SMP a handful of times and remembered a lot of the moves.  It was Jeny's first time here so we spent a few extra minutes when needed--scouting and scoping before lining up and taking runs at challenging sections.  The two pics above are the same sequence as the next shot below--and it's a rare person that gets it on their first-ever go.

The harder they are to clean, the more rewarding they always seem.

'nuther one o' them spine lines... 

A brief, extra chunky roll-in, with a big audience.

The place is full of chunky ups like this one.  Often the solution is found with slow speed and precision.  

I surprised myself by cracking this one with a teeny bit of mo' and a very direct line.

Jeny swears she's not a basher.  Uh huh.

Descending the chunktacular goodness of Holbert.

How much tire pressure?  *Just* the right amount.

Waterfall.

On the way back out.

We finished at sunset, wringing every ounce out of our third vacation day.  Changed out of sodden clothes, then nabbed a Smashburger en route to meet M & M at the Salt.

Stick with us--more to come.

mtbr member
    Ooooo... The Salt. This is going to be good.
    The older I get the better I was...

Too Much Fun

There.

Great shots! Keep them coming.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So much beuno! 8" of new snow here, and while the xc skiing will be great, your pics and story are just what the doc ordered. Thank you!

Powered by ice cream.
    How does a chick that weighs next to nothing put that much hurt on wheels?

Answer: maybe add a little air dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    How does a chick that weighs next to nothing put that much hurt on wheels?

Answer: maybe add a little air dude.
    You act as though I didn't think of that.

We've run more air. Bigger tires. Beefier tires. No combo of the above changes the basic fact that she kills rear rims, and rear tires, faster than I do or can. With less air she punches holes in the casings. With more air she dents the rims more often. Tires are expensive, rims are relatively cheap--guess which end of the compromise we've chosen...

mtbr rememberer
    Thank you, sir, for the awesome. It is quite good.

mtbr member
    You're making me so jealous! Seriously ready for some dry, snow-free trails!