Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,760

    Thank goodness for 27.5!

    .... or is that 650b? Like a lot of us, I keep thinking of getting a new bike. I have no rational reason to get a new bike but the uncontrollable thoughts urging me to buy run through my head. Ah, but now the bike industry has told me that 29" bikes will end up in museums soon and 27.5 is the wave of the future. Looking at this size, I realize the difference between 27.5/650b and my current 26" FS is so small that there is no rational reason to change bikes. I mean, I love my ride as much as you can love an inanimate object. It is fairly current in technology. It is paid for. Whoo hoo! Just avoided spending $3000! Thank you bike industry.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    94
    My next ride will probably be 6k. You're getting off easy

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,760

    Been there.....

    Not quite 6k but close enough and way too many times. At this stage of life, I just like to ride 'em into the ground. I do understand the temptations though. Besides, I have a big ski habit to support too.

  4. #4
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    If it is thank goodness for 27.5, then it is
    THANK GOD for 29!

    TWENTY NINER REVOLUTION!
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

    Forth Eorlingas!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,760

    If you say so

    The bike industry will soon make your 29" go the way of my 26" so they can get back to building one size for all. I never found a 29" to be that special (yes, I've ridden lots of them) and now think "why buy something that is going to disappear in a few year?"

  6. #6
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    The bike industry will soon make your 29" go the way of my 26" so they can get back to building one size for all. I never found a 29" to be that special (yes, I've ridden lots of them) and now think "why buy something that is going to disappear in a few year?"
    You have no proof that 29ers are going to disappear anytime soon. The 26" will be gone because that is what the 27" wheels are replacing, not 29". I believe 29ers will live on forever.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

    Forth Eorlingas!

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,299
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    If it is thank goodness for 27.5, then it is
    THANK GOD for 29!

    TWENTY NINER REVOLUTION!


    This "revolution" has come and gone, a long time ago in fact. Welcome to the 1990's.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    97
    29ers arnt going anywhere lol...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: peteer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    222
    I like my 26" bike. I like my 29" bike. I'd rather have one of each and be able to keep buying parts for each. If 27.5" bikes can make nice parts for both 26" and 29" cheap as everyone temporarily rushes to the new size, I'll be A-OK with that.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carverboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    531
    Have not ridden a 26" since 2009 (got my 650b 2010) Could not imagine having to ride a 26 again. Everyone who says 650b makes no difference invariably admits they have not spent more than a parking lot spin on them. I did ride a 29" this year for the first time in many years. felt glued to the trail and inside the bike. Not my kind of ride but not bad.
    Writing is on the wall for 26" Plenty of room for 29" and 650b to coexist.
    They complement each other while 26" offers little aside from fire sale pricing.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: B-Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    742
    If your wheels are bigger than 3", you're a puss . . .

    Check out my You Tube Channel

  12. #12
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    If your wheels are bigger than 3", you're a puss . . .

    I remember this bike, but I don't think it would be good on the mountain
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

    Forth Eorlingas!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You have no proof that 29ers are going to disappear anytime soon. The 26" will be gone because that is what the 27" wheels are replacing, not 29". I believe 29ers will live on forever.
    No proof 26" will be gone, either, and 650b isn't a replacement for them. 90% of my riding is on my 29ers, but I do enjoy 26" wheels for certain trails and especially clowning around town. I am really looking forward to building up a Surly 1x1 with some fat DW tires maybe next year, or a 26" Disc Trucker.

  14. #14
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    No proof 26" will be gone, either, and 650b isn't a replacement for them. 90% of my riding is on my 29ers, but I do enjoy 26" wheels for certain trails and especially clowning around town. I am really looking forward to building up a Surly 1x1 with some fat DW tires maybe next year, or a 26" Disc Trucker.
    I also love 26" wheels, but they are a dying race. I don't think that the DH bikes will lose the 26", and neither will the fat bike, but for everything else, 27" and 29" will be the only options.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

    Forth Eorlingas!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •