Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Terrible News

mtbr member

Terrible News

Today, approximately 2 hours ago, I found out that my father suffered from a heart attack and died mountain biking. I am struck with grief and pain, and don't know how I'm going to cope with this.
    Will someday be living in Alaska with 2 pooches

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Very sorry to hear about your loss. Stay strong brother. Make sure to keep riding.

John
    2012 Knolly Chilcotin
    2002 Haro VGF V3 - Still have my first real mtb

Viva la Vida!

Terrible News

My condolences to you and your whole family.
    On the brighter side think that at least your dad died doing what he loved and not laying in bed suffering over a long period of time.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

Tactical Nightmare
    Brother, we are here for you, as much as we can be through the interwebs. I would second the fact that he passed doing something he must have loved doing, and I can only hope that when my time comes, I am doing the same thing. Stay strong, think of the positive times you had with him, and when it gets tough, get on your bike and get out and ride. It is so therapeutic. Peace.
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

I eat cats
    So very sorry to hear. My thoughts are with you and your family. Like others have said, at least he was doing something he loved and I am sure he would tell you to keep riding. My after work ride today will have me thinking a lot about life after reading your post. Ride on.

mtbr member
    wow, sorry to hear....condolences and prayers to you and your family. And, like others have said, may we all be lucky enough to pass doing something we love and not in a bed hooked up to tubes and wires.
    I was a runner when my dad passed away and time on the trail helped a lot. When it gets tough, go ride...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I know somewhat how you feel. My dad died unexpectedly from a heart attack back in 2007 while he was deer hunting. As others have stated, the one thing I was grateful for was that he died doing something he loved to do. The coming weeks and months will be very difficult. I coped the best by remembering the good times we had together. I still have days when it's difficult. It won't be easy but you will get through it. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Such sad, sad news and I am so sorry for your loss. Many difficult days lie ahead; comfort you family as much as you can and let them comfort you in return.

mtbr member
    Very sorry to hear. I lost my father who was also my best friend in Feb. It's not easy to cope with I know, but it does get better. Lean on people right now, don't stand by yourself.

mtbr member
    Aloha Muff,

So sorry to hear of your loss. I can only imagine how hard and painful this must be. I lost my dad back in 1997 and not a day goes by I don't think about him and his advice and fun times. I hope you find peace and joy some how, some way in the future.

mtbr member
    Sorry for your loss.

If its any consolation, if I had to choose to die, I would choose that way over struggling through months of chemotherapy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My sincere condolences to you and your family Muff. How old was your dad?

mtbr member
    51 years old.
    Will someday be living in Alaska with 2 pooches

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Terrible News

I am so sorry. I can remember 20 years ago standing in my dorm room being told on the phone that my Dad had a heart attack, followed by the terrible words, he didn't make it. Time helps, but in the meanwhile, one foot in front of the other. As others have said, riding will help you get through the pain.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    So young. So sad for you and your family. My condolences. I'll be 57 in a little over a month. Forgive me for saying that's the way I want to leave this world.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My condolences to you and your family.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

pin it
    Sorry for your loss. Was your dad a regular mtbr? Was he alone or with others?
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Sorry to hear about your loss, I pray God will give you peace and comfort.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Yappy little dog!
    Sorry for your loss. God speed.

Ride your your bike and celebrate his life. He'll be watching.

Hermit
    Be strong. Time will ease your pain - just let it go by. Rely on the rest of your family, and friends to keep you going.

Peace.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Wow, that is really terrible news. 51, is way to young to go. My apologies and condolencies for you and your family at this difficult time.

I lost my Father 5 years ago and it seems like yesterday. Like others have said, not a single day goes by when I don't think about him.

The next several months are probably going to be pretty rough. If he is still married to your mother than expect it to be extremely rough for her as well. You need to be strong for her. I hate to say it, but it is probably going to get worse before it gets better. I had a really hard time with losing my father as did my siblings.

Be happy that he went the way he did though. My dad had a year in the hospital that ended really rough with a tracheatomy and a feeding tube. My poor mother couldn't let go.

Just remember although it's cliche, time heals all wounds. When I know think of him I think happy thoughts and memories rather than the anger from earlier.

Try to remember the best memories you had with him when you think of him.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sorry for your loss!

Unfortunately 51 isn't so unusual. I'm 55 and not very social - only a few close friends. I've had two friends and another's wife died in last couple years. All in the 50 -60 range. Maybe it's me - that's like a 50% friend loss rate.

Your Mom -
    You need to buck up and help her with all the post death stuff that is going to happen. She will not be in shape to make good financial decisions and sharks are trolling for a meal. Question funeral home fees and charges. We have lost several family members (80's old) recently and they will try to convince you, you NEED the ultra package, etc. They only have one shot at making money on each person....

You need to examine your parents overall finances and help your mom out. Life insurance, pension, etc. There are a lot of little place money might be found, example - organizations like the NRA provide 10k life insurance for members. Check stuff out...

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Too young for sure, My old boss just died last week. 50 years old, heart attack. This guy never went to a doctor, smoked, heavy drinker. He had mentioned not feeling well for quite a while. A simple trip to the doc may have saved his life. Guys, please get yourself checked out at least once a year.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
    Today, approximately 2 hours ago, I found out that my father suffered from a heart attack and died mountain biking. I am struck with grief and pain, and don't know how I'm going to cope with this.
    I'm sorry for your loss. It's never easy, but when death comes knocking on your Dad's door at the age of 51, it's gotta be especially hard.
    Hang in there.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast