mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Tell me what you all think

Bought a mountain bike from a local seller. Had heard the noise but was dark so didn't have time for good inspection. I'm all XC..no crazy jump etc..just pedaling. Probably have about 10 rides on the bike since I got it back in late March. Anyways, should have thought about it..but seller went out on the limb to sell the bike. The price was probably 3-400 or even 500 less than market value. Still should have been a red flag. Thing is...frame is a trek and it has lifetime warranty. Contacted the guy today..of course I was a little pissed off cause felt like I got a lemon bike. I am confident the seller knew about the crack..says no. Have asked him to help get in touch with trek to get frame replaced..2 year old bike. Now he is ignoring me. Trying to resolve not going to small claims court..not sure if I have a case but sure felt I got scammed. Sad thing is...so many red flag..just didn't pick up on it...one the price..two..the mint condition...so like anyone who is fast...anyone could have been me buying the bike. Let me know what ya think? I feel like getting an attorney...possibly lemon...possibly Merchandising fair act..not sure. Just have a $1K bike that can't be ridden and the guy probably isn't going to return my call or my text. As much as I hate to...would probably plaster his information the local site. He in my opinion has threaten me as well. exact quote " Lose my number or you're gonna have bigger problems." Sounds like an imminent communicated threat... Thanks for reading. Can't believe it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Buying a used bike, assuming from Craigs List with a defect is not covered under the lemon law. Small claims is all you have to go on and honestly it is up to you to prove it was cracked 3 months ago when you bought it. His word against yours, he has no clue what you did to the bike. Not saying you did but my point is his word against yours.

Craigs List, if it was Craigs List is all sales final. It is up to you to do your due diligence before purchase. If you leave with it it is yours regardless of what issue you find 3 months down the line.
    Redline D880
    Redline Conquest
    Breezer Thunder One
    Moto Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Charge Grater
    Nashbar Carbon Roadie

since 4/10/2009
    you didn't do what you needed to ensure the bike was solid at the time of purchase. You learned an expensive lesson.

Your best bet is to start looking for someone who repairs carbon fiber to see if your frame is repairable. Otherwise, it's new frame time.

All fat, all the time.
    You didn't check it out well enough. That's why used bikes are cheaper, because you get no warranty.

Contacting the seller to try and get warranty through trek on a bike he no longer owns is dishonest.

Suck it up and be smarter next time. If warranty is important to you, buy new from a shop.

mtbr member
    Agree with those above. Be careful posting his name and info as he may end up having a better case of slander if you do post it than you do of sueing for "Merchandising fair act".
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    You're 100% responsible for anything on that bike.

Why is this posted in passion? Oh that's right, only 1 or 2 posts now actually belong in passion now. Passion, the new general discussion!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    And you spend 1K on a bike that was making a noise, buy it in the dark so you cannot look it over very well, ride it while it is apparently still making that noise and then wait 3 months to check it for cracks and then contact the seller.

I guarantee no attorney is going to take this case and you would probably lose your case in small claims court.
    Redline D880
    Redline Conquest
    Breezer Thunder One
    Moto Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Charge Grater
    Nashbar Carbon Roadie

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Just put some duct tape on the crack and keep on riding it.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Tough lesson or a trolling tale
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

I didn't do it
    An attorney would rarely..if ever...take a small claims case..not worth his..her time.

OP..you got scammed..or you're just...messin'..don't know what to think..about this.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    An attorney would rarely..if ever...take a small claims case..not worth his..her time.

OP..you got scammed..or you're just...messin'..don't know what to think..about this.
    fo'sho
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Contact Trek , they may be willing to help

Finally!
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    Contact Trek , they may be willing to help
    Winner!!

Just contact Trek. Tell them you lost the receipt and don't mention you are not the original owner. Worst they can say is no and leave you where you are now.
    This is 100% your issue and I would leave the seller alone. Used stuff has no warranty so unless you have a written warranty from the seller...you are SOL.
    Expensive lesson but honestly I think Trek will help you.

9 lives
    Are your bike parts ok? You can sell some parts....it's tedious and you may not get much but it's an option. Or keep the parts and buy a frame, lessons learned.
    Or you can tape the crack (like curveball suggested) and keep it as your trash bike.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

backwoods and backwards
    If the seller could have had the frame warranty /replaced he would have. Kind of stinks like a stolen bike to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    If the seller could have had the frame warranty /replaced he would have. Kind of stinks like a stolen bike to me.
    Steep discount. Selling it in the dark. Seller's surly reply. Yeah, I think you may be right about it being stolen.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
    Winner!!

Just contact Trek. Tell them you lost the receipt and don't mention you are not the original owner. Worst they can say is no and leave you where you are now.
    This is 100% your issue and I would leave the seller alone. Used stuff has no warranty so unless you have a written warranty from the seller...you are SOL.
    Expensive lesson but honestly I think Trek will help you.
    Jeez, that's pretty unethical right there. Of course the situation sucks but if you are honest about the entire situation you might be able to get yourself a crash replacement.

But like others said $1,000 without checking it out is crazy no matter how good of a deal was. 4-500 bucks I could see. In the future when you buy the bike say do you mind if I take it to a local shop to have it inspected prior to purchasing?

Warrior's Society
    OP....face it.....

You bought something USED....didn't do your due diligence/homework....knew there was an issue...but was too greedy, based on the price...rode it several times after the purchase...and now claiming the seller sold you a bum bike.

Warranties are for ORIGINAL OWNERS w/ proof of purchase.

USED bikes are sold AS IS. Leave the seller alone. Perhaps they knew it was bad, perhaps they didn't. Perhaps it is stolen, perhaps it is not. Bottom line is unfortunately....you cannot prove either.

YOU should have taken more time on your purchase....look the bike over better.

Use this as a learning experience.....cheaper is not always better.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Google "Carbon Fiber Bike Repair".

Since you only do XC I'd take the opertunity to learn DIY CF repair!
    And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver. A. Senna

Finally!
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Biker View Post
    Jeez, that's pretty unethical right there. Of course the situation sucks but if you are honest about the entire situation you might be able to get yourself a crash replacement.
    You are assuming it was damaged. It might be defective. Let Trek decide. Warranties that are not transferable are unethical. The product should be under warranty, not the owner. Imagine if you bought a year old car and the engine blew. How would you feel if the company said "sorry but you are not the original owner". The company should be able to tell if it was defective or damaged quite easily.

Regardless the OP should never have purchased it in the first place and if they can't get a warranty replacement it is really their own fault and has absolutely nothing to do with the previous owner who may not have been the original owner anyway.

because GIANT
    so,

post up the picture of the crack,

op plz

mtbr member
    The OP bolted I think, fishy, fishy, fishy
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Sell it to someone else for an even bigger discount in an even darker place.

Born With A Tail
    Does it seem strange to anybody else that the OP even had to ask this question? How could the answer not be obvious?
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

Finally!
    The OP could be working. Give it some time!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Binned
    Nov 2008
    The OP could be working. Give it some time!

Probably on the phone with Trek...

mtbr member
    You are assuming it was damaged. It might be defective. Let Trek decide. Warranties that are not transferable are unethical. The product should be under warranty, not the owner. Imagine if you bought a year old car and the engine blew. How would you feel if the company said "sorry but you are not the original owner". The company should be able to tell if it was defective or damaged quite easily.

Regardless the OP should never have purchased it in the first place and if they can't get a warranty replacement it is really their own fault and has absolutely nothing to do with the previous owner who may not have been the original owner anyway.
    Unethical?

If warranties transferred we could all go buy pos treks from garage sales for $50, crack them and get a free spanking new 2016 trek frame. Isn't that unethical?

Some cars have had lifetime warranties for the original owner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Well a bike is not a car, that is an apples to oranges comparison. And most manufacturers clearly state the warrenty is for the original owner, so you know that up front. Not sure why you think that is unethical. Is it unethical that car warrenties have time limits?
    Redline D880
    Redline Conquest
    Breezer Thunder One
    Moto Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Charge Grater
    Nashbar Carbon Roadie

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The OP......
    1. Saw a deal that was to good to be true
    2. Greedily rushed the purchase
    3. Failed to spot the defect, if there was one
    4. Now, three months later he is publicly whining about it and wants us to shed a tear with him
    5. Has posted this same info on both of our local forums, Charlotte and Raleigh
    Here's what I think.....Since he asked
    Grow up, get some balls and fix your stupid mistake

Danger Zone
    Beating a dead horse here, but it's obvious you have literally no case to make. The bike could certainly be stolen, but the blame is still on you for lack of due diligence.

Instead of wasting money on a lawyer for a case you will lose, spend it on frame repair.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i think, you, the OP, have done all you can. it might have gad an impact if you went back within as soon as possible. But some people are honest and when brought to their attention will work something out.

and who knows, maybe the seller thinks that the buyer broke it?

if you really threatened by the seller you can talk with the police, they might recommend a report so it us on file, or they might say nit even worth that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally!
    It's beyond obvious the OP didn’t hear what they wanted and left. Close thread!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Trek will honor their lifetime warranty, regardless of who the owner is. Just call them up and send a few pictures of the damage. Problem solved.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er

Elitest thrill junkie
    I think camels are lazy (in Christopher Walken voice).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Trek will honor their lifetime warranty, regardless of who the owner is. Just call them up and send a few pictures of the damage. Problem solved.
    That's news to me. Assuming it is true, I would not expect much for a second owner. Probably heavily discounted credit on Trek or Bontrager.

because GIANT
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    this is true

if bike was not abused (trek engineers can tell ya know)

I got a $4500 trek road bike second hand from a bike shop, and with no specific Trek paperwork or paper trail...

and it developed a BB crack 2 years after I got it....took to bike store Trek warrantied it and sent me a new Postal Team Frame ...Trek is legit if you are legit

Finally!
    Wow so Trek actually understands what I mean by these warranties ans some of you can't. Funny how that works. Sometimes selling a bunch of bikes is worth the one frame that got you cheap advertising on a web forum. Glad to see they stand behind what they sell and don't burn you on a technicality. Quite a frw bike companies will do this. If you break it because of abuse, too bad but a weld fail and you are golden. This is what we should expect. Some of you on here seem to think your $?000 isn't worth trying. Good for you. Stay ethical !! :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    this is true

if bike was not abused (trek engineers can tell ya know)

I got a $4500 trek road bike second hand from a bike shop, and with no specific Trek paperwork or paper trail...

and it developed a BB crack 2 years after I got it....took to bike store Trek warrantied it and sent me a new Postal Team Frame ...Trek is legit if you are legit
    Yep. A buddy of mine bought an 8 year old Gary Fisher used then found a crack in the chain stay a couple weeks later. He still rides the brand new Fuel frame Trek sent him.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Wow so Trek actually understands what I mean by these warranties ans some of you can't. Funny how that works. Sometimes selling a bunch of bikes is worth the one frame that got you cheap advertising on a web forum. Glad to see they stand behind what they sell and don't burn you on a technicality. Quite a frw bike companies will do this. If you break it because of abuse, too bad but a weld fail and you are golden. This is what we should expect. Some of you on here seem to think your $?000 isn't worth trying. Good for you. Stay ethical !! :-)

of course it never hurts to ask--zero cost.

but that is significantly different from the stated warranty. i checked Trek's official website and if that is official still then the warranty applies to the original owner. if trek chooses to reconsider on a case by caee basis that is not the same at all as saying they honor warranty on used bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    keep the parts and buy a frame
    Think I would be pretty happy with enough good parts to put on a frame. There are pages and pages of frames on Amazon.

I already learned this lesson-but it took me a few years. I bought a hay rake in 1989 for $1800-it needed a complete rebuild(or should I say I replaced parts everytime I used it). Basically it was a piece of junk because a landscaper used it to rake rocks. I found out in 2004 I could buy a new rake(I located a dealer out of state that carried this brand) for $2200. Fourteen years newer for $400 more than I paid for it. Probably could have bought a new one in 89 for $1800. I'm reminded of this because I was told if I bad mouthed the local dealership that I would be the one getting sued.
    How am I supposed to pick a line through this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

personally, I don't see warranties for mtbikes tied to original owner as unethical, especially when they are expressly stated upfront.

there is a market for lemons with used and a moral hazard exposure to the mfg. they likely use it(used transaction) as an indicator that the bike may be abused and higher risk of warranty. the other part of it is very bottom line focused in that they make money selling new bikes.

all of the above is optional. bike industry is competitive and you can offer a 3 year warranty regardless of owner. a small number of companies may be doing that now, which is great. but limiting to the owner isn't unethical.