mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Teeter that goes back once you're off

I'm looking at building a teeter totter in a trail around my house and would like to know if there is any way of having a teeter return to it's original side after you ride past it without flipping your rear tire up with it? The trail I'm building it for is one way and is going over a 2 foot log, so it can't pull your back wheel up when get off it.

ballbuster

Easy

Quote Originally Posted by mondaycurse
    I'm looking at building a teeter totter in a trail around my house and would like to know if there is any way of having a teeter return to it's original side after you ride past it without flipping your rear tire up with it? The trail I'm building it for is one way and is going over a 2 foot log, so it can't pull your back wheel up when get off it.
    Just make the entry side slightly heavier than the other. As soon as you roll off, it will klunk back down the other way. Just don't make it too much heavier or the base may pull up out of the ground. If you wanted to be extra clever, you could put some kind of friction damper on it to slow it down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    How much more should one side weigh over the other? I'll probably get both sides where the wood touches ground rock armored, if that matters. Does anyone have an idea to put a delay on the log or make go back to the original side really slow?

Loser

Simple...

How much more should one side weigh over the other? I'll probably get both sides where the wood touches ground rock armored, if that matters. Does anyone have an idea to put a delay on the log or make go back to the original side really slow?
    All you have to do is put the fulcrum a bit off center, the more off center it is, the faster it will fall. Physics...

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Just set it up so it is nearly balanced. Then attach scraps of wood to the bottom of the entry side until it gently returns on its own. No need to get fancy. It will not kick back dangerously as you roll off.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    does a 60/40 weight ration sound good? Sorry for being superstitious, but I'd rather be superstitious than get trails closed for bucking a rider off and breaking lots of bones. That's what happened to my cousin's area mountain biking.

mtbr member
    The best bet is what Shiggy said. Almost balanced, then nail or screw scraps on the under side of the "entrance" side, untill you get the speed you want. you could even get fancy and use metal plates screwd in place...

ballbuster

Just build it...

I would say built it perfectly balanced, then screw the scraps of wood or metal plates to one side until you get what you want.

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I would say built it perfectly balanced, then screw the scraps of wood or metal plates to one side until you get what you want.
    heres a good site on how to build one
    DMR