mtbr dismember

Tahoe Tuesdays with Truckee29

Tuesday (7/2) I did one of my favorite rides with Truckee29: Mt. Rose down Van Sickle via the Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT) above Marlette Lake. I'm always a bit nervous when I ride with a stranger. But when Truckee29 suggested we meet for breakfast at 6 am, and he was coming from the Bay Area that morning, I knew we would get along. Tahoe was also experiencing record high temperatures and it was already 80 degrees at Mt. Rose at 7 am! It was also extremely humid and our sweat was barely evaporating. Truckee29 set a steady pace up the TRT above Marlette Lake and I set a new PR for the climb.

At 20 miles when we began the five mile climb from Spooner Summit to the Kingsbury Bench, the temperature was in the 90's, and it eventually hit 97. For a Bay Area resident not used to heat Truckee29 set a nice steady pace and I just focused on his rear tire most of the way. We wisely took a few extended breaks when shade was available. Yet I recorded my second fastest time ever on the climb. On the way down the other side of The Bench we both noted hot air was blowing up at us like a furnace. But that section of the TRT is the best and we had a great time. About half way through Truckee29 starred feeling sick. However, big thunderstorms started filling the whole Tahoe Basin, it became cloudy, and the temperature quickly dropped 25 degrees!

It didn't take Truckee29 very long to recover, and he really tore up the rest of the trail until we reached that terrible last mile climb to the top of Van Sickle. At that point Truckee29 was not sure he would recommend this ride to anyone. However, half way down Van Sickle the pain of that climb became a faded memory and he stopped to say how great the ride was! I've posted scores of photos of this ride recently so I didn't take many on this trip.

Truckee29 finishing the five mile climb.

Spectacular floral displays all the way.

Gnarly
    Great pics of beautiful landscape and informative ride report! I appreciate your pain and suffering
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies