Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tahoe Super Punisher Lite

3K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  Wherewolf 
#1 · (Edited)
Tahoetic and I used to do a ride called "The Punisher", The Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT) from Heavenly Ski area down Saxon Creek, aka Mr. Toads Wild Ride, a famous downhill. It's called The Punisher because it has a lot of hike-a-bike and goes above 9,000 ft. twice, and eventually over 9,800 ft. Freel Pass. However, I've never been much of a downhiller and now that I have several foreign objects in my body I try to avoid falling as much as possible. So I have avoided this ride the past few years. Other hardcore riders created a "Super Punisher", adding another 18 miles by starting from Spooner Summit. Tahoetic suggested a variation of the latter I'm calling "The Super Punisher Lite", Spooner Summit to Kingsbury - the new section of the TRT to Heavenly - over Freel Pass - then down Armstrong - The Connector and Corral instead of Toads.

The ride starts at 7,100 ft. Spooner Summit and immediately climbs to 8,800 ft. in the first five miles. I used to die on this part but last week I discovered I'm in pretty good shape now and the climb was almost enjoyable. Once you reach the top the next seven miles of the Kingsbury Trail may be the finest trail I've ever ridden. Since we took a lot of photos last week we barely stopped and I got some really good flow going, despite it being pretty technical for my skill level. The Super Punisher used to take pavement from Kingsbury to Heavenly Ski Area. But there is a brand new section of the TRT, and we took that. Apparently we missed a turn at about four miles and we ended up pushing our bikes up a massive hill under the Boulder Ski area. That eventually rejoined the TRT and we took that to Freel Pass. There are massive hike - a - bike sections on the way to Freel Pass and pushing the bike up them was pretty tough on the knees. However, I was again pleasantly surprised that I had the aerobic capacity to ride up virtually any climb, right up to Freel Pass, as long as it is was not too technical.

From Freel Pass there is over 3,600 ft. of downhill. However, except for the last 4 - 5 miles, the trail is often quite narrow, with steep drop-offs, and pretty technical for me. Tahoetic can go downhill perhaps four times faster than me, but he stuck with me. The Connector and Corral Trails are a downhiller's delight. However, it was already twilight so I didn't go very fast. At just over 12 hours this is the longest ride I've ever done. Not long ago I would have been dead, but I felt great, and I feel like I could do it again today! Perhaps we can't call it The Punisher anymore. Below are a few photos, more on my biking site.

Classic TRT

He drinks this water

Freel Pass

See less See more
#10 ·
How about trying the Ultra Punisher Medium:

Spooner Summit to Kingsbury - the new section of the TRT to Heavenly - over Freel Pass - past Armstrong - across 89 to big meadow - down Xmas valley Downhill.

That would add about 12 miles or so, for over 50 miles of high sierra goodness.

#11 ·
Thanks for posting, Wherewolf! :thumbsup:

Good inspiration to get my sea-level XC fitness up after a long winter of NW trailbuilding and beer drinking. Gonna be down there for my annual family trip the first two weeks in August, and the Punisher is one of my favorites down there. Your pic of Freel Pass gave me that tingly sensation that's either excitement mixed with nostalgia, or more probably, altitude sickness.

Looks like HITC might actually be snow-free in August this year!

#15 ·
WW been a good while since I've seen this from you, remember how great the images used to look and not disappointed now - Fantastic shots. Glad the knees are holding up for you and you've managed to get yourself quite fit from your report, 39 miles of trail ain't nothing to sneeze at and at altitude to boot :thumbsup:

Really need to add this to my to ride list and nice to now be able to look at these trails and think I can ride a lot more than when I first saw the pics back when I'd just started MTBing.

#16 ·
That is awesome WW... wondering if you had dropped off the planet or were just stuck in classes at good ole' turkey tech! Glad to see that you have upped the fitness level and are cleaning this with ease. Planning on doing the first portion of your Punisher ride (Mt.Rose to Kingsbury) at some point this summer once I can get some riders with me. Trying my hand at racing this year though so we will see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.