mtbr member

Surprises - 8/14

There is an island in the western Atlantic where I live in self imposed exile with TurboB!tch and the alien cat. There are no mountains on this island – or hills. Fat bikes are mere boardwalk curiosities where road bikes and cruisers rule the land.

I have a mountain bike hidden in my car and sometimes I sneak over the bridge to ride in the land of the Sand King. There are no mountains and few hills where the Sand King rules. There are a few roots; ten at last count. I have still not found a rock but there are ample amounts of horse manure. You can ride at speed on trails that twist and turn through scrub pines and loose sand threatens to dismount you at every corner.

Last weekend I mounted an expedition to the land of roots and rocks. It was a drive of over 100 miles but would reveal a day of surprises. It was no surprise that I missed the land of roots and rocks. I found I also missed the hills. The climbs and the fast drops brought back something lacking from my riding. I was surprised at how happy I was to have my vision blurred by sweat. I ventured into an area not often ridden. After one long and technical climb, I heard the voice of a child. Rounding the next bend, hands on my brakes, I came upon a lad of, oh, maybe five. He looked like the “Butterfly” boy with a Superman t-shirt. He had just climbed a long hill with his father and was totally surprised to find someone on a bike in a brightly colored shirt saying hello to him. His smile just grew and grew.

I rode further down the trail where the boy’s father waited and he said he didn’t think anyone could ride this trail. I’m sometimes surprised that I can ride this trail. We talked a bit and I continued to climb. Cresting the hill, I was rewarded by a long downhill.

Before I go on, I have a riddle for you. What goes from white to tan to green to red in an instant?

Easy! A girl with tan panties and green shorts taking a leak in the deep woods when surprised by a man on a mountain bike where people on mountain bikes should not be able to ride.

I didn’t stop. There was no reason to. Passing I remarked “today is full of surprises.” She replied, “It certainly is.”

I returned to my island in the western Atlantic with TurboB!tch and the alien cat after that, happy with a day of surprises.

REV

'Tis but a scratch
    Entertaining read. Glad you were able to get out and diversify. Its nice when mountain biking has some mountains in it, huh? Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Great read. Very entertaining! Thank you for sharing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Awesome post! The sun isn't up, I haven't had my cup of tea and I'm already smiling.

Gnarly
    Sweet!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Thanks......

mtbr member
    I too miss the land of rocks and roots! Come back Lewis Morris all is forgiven. I miss riding in the dense woods of the North East.

In a few hours I'll be out on my weekly evening group ride in the Los Altos Hills. I'll get a tough workout, cursing my crying leg muscles grinding up the never ending drought induced powder in the California sunshine. In the end though I know I'll feel it was worth doing.

Where exactly did you ride? Mahlon?
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed reading this. It makes me feel so blessed to have beautiful hills and mountains close to me in northern California.

mtbr member
    Yup.

I met the girl (thee super moons in one weekend) and the boy climbing past the overlook where you can see the high school. I'm setting up a demo ride on a Pivot 429 & SC TBLT for next week. I'll let you know the results.

mtbr member
    I'm looking forward to hearing about those. I'm also perving the Intense Carbine 29 but you know I have history with Intense.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Fortunately my exile is temporary and next summer I will once again live in the land of roots and rocks and be only a 20 minutes drive from some great riding and will even be able to access technical trails a short bike ride from my door.

For the present, the surfing has been pretty good for a little island in the western Atlantic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Great writing, Reverend. TFPU!

mtbr member

I did the demo's

I'll drop an email in a couple days with my thoughts on each bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    I'll drop an email in a couple days with my thoughts on each bike.
    I look forward to it.

beer thief
    Great one, Rev. My first visit to Passion in a while, nice way to start the day.

mtbr member
    Radair, nice to have you back.

mtbr member
    Thanks.