Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Oh Hell No!!!!

SUPERGO STORES: How Many Of You Like It?????

I got to admit, shopping there has been A+ Customer Service. But still on the edge of the seat on the quality of weyless etc. Any feedback on issues other than the handlebar recall they had will be greatly appreciated. Here's some of my experience:

SWEET!! I got $31 cash back from Supergo today. (THIS IS GREAT) I bought the frame for $429.99 a few weeks ago from Supergo. Supergo has a price comparision money back policy: When you purchase something and find a lower price elsewhere within 90 days of your purchase they will pay you the diffrence 110% or at the time of purchase if you find the identical item for less than what they have advertised, they will match it. Today "on thier website" I saw the same frame I purchased for $399. I called them up to test this out see how it works, they said come in with the reciept and cash out. I went in, sure nuff they saw the diffrence and payed me $31 + Tax etc. I went out and bought me a new stem and some lubricants for my chain. This is hot! Made me a happy customer. Hope the frame goes down in price some more. I can use the cash

Glad to Be Alive
    that is cool...one happy shopper
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

I like bikes

supergo

Supergo ain't bad if you wrench on your bike yourself. However, from my experience with test rides there and with other peoples purchases, any complete bike that comes from supergo needs a full tuneup from a mechanic before it is safely rideable.

For example, I bought my Demo 9 frame there because it was such a great deal, but had my LBS face the head tube.
    Stop being so pissed and save your energy for the ride

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Supergo is a good place to shop if you know what you are doing and wrench your own bike because the staff there is hit-or-miss when it comes to knowledge and social ineptitude.

I have a good opinion of their Weyless branded stuff. I have bars, stems, bar ends and seatpost that are Weyless and they've been fine. Nothing fancy, but it just works.

I am just curious as to how they will handle potential Weyless frame warranty issues since the frame line has been discontinued.

I railed it like Kong
    what weyless bars were recalled and where can i get the info? I have 2 carbon bars from them.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

PITY THE FOOL!
    I'll echo the comments above. I work on my own bikes and enjoy supergo for their huge selection of parts and gear. I don't rely on them for expertise and typically help myself to what I need.

I bought my Turner frame from them back in 03 but other than that it's been parts only. Without a doubt, they have an awesome inventory and it's a blast to look around when you have time to kill.

Passion or my LBS is the hook up for the real knowledge. I've bought a road bike and several custom wheelsets from my LBS and enjoy their shop. They just can't compete with deals from Supergo for stems, bars, cassettes, etc.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

Custom User Title

I like them

Great inventory. I agree with what others have stated above as far as it being a great place for parts if you are a do it yourselfer. I wouldn't want any of those kids working on my bikes.

Great place for apparel too since you can actually try stuff on there.

I picked this frame up a few weeks ago from them for $129! It really has a nice quality finished look for such a cheap frame.>>
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Recall info here...

It wasn't mtn bars that were recalled, roadie carbon bars under the Weyless and Forte (Performance) brands.

http://consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/supergo.html

I railed it like Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by troy
    Passion or my LBS is the hook up for the real knowledge. They just can't compete with deals from Supergo for stems, bars, cassettes, etc.
    I'll spend the extra at my LBS for parts. Because they know i'll buy from them, they will always give me a discount. I used to wrench my own bikes until i got in good enough with them. Now i rarely ever pay for labor either.

Take supergo's price to your LBS and ask how close can they come. They probably won't match it, but will discount the item. Then really shock em' and buy it at the higher price. Tell them it's a tip for all the free knowledge they shared with you.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

mtbr member
    Agree w/ most of the comments. Their prices are hard to beat sometimes for housebrand stuff. I picked up their Aero wheels last year for $85, which sometimes go for as high as $249. On my ride last week, the spoke broke. I brought it back and one of the wrenches was ready to claim ignorance. The shop mgr stepped in and offered to have the wheel fixed for free.

Previously, I brought my CX to have canti pads put on. They ended up being installed very poorly. Probably because the wrench was so young he didn't even know how to properly adjust canti's.

For the most part, I go to my LBS for general wrenching now.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    i have had good experiences with them...i do most of my own wrenching and have yet to find a shop in Denver that i really like and most recently had a very bad experience with getting a fork put on (forgot to tighten my disc brake caliper, and didn't cut the head tube right)...i have gotten some great deals at supergo including a great helmet for $20 and hydration system (a big daddy for the epics) for $19...for the do it yourselfer it really is the way to go in my opinion...and talk about selection
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

Supergo is good

if you're doing your own work. When I first went into one of the shops I was kind of in awe at the quantity of stuff. But, after time, I realized that they have alot of stuff, but not necessarily a lot of choices. if htey have what you want, get it there. if they don't you'll have to get it somewhere else anyway. I use them for the quickie things like cables, brake pads, and clothees. most of my other parts come from other places though.

I bought my road bike there because it was a good deal on sale. I knew what I wanted though so pretty much just pointed and said I'll take that one.

YR

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I had them install my XT Disc brakes about 3 years ago. The young mechanic zip tied the front brake hose around one of the fork stanchions. Not only did that turn my 5 inch fork into a 4 inch fork, but it damages the finish on it, which then allows oil to seep out.

I'd like to think there's no possible way that mechanic can still work there, and I'm sure not all mechanics at all 20 of their shops are that ignorant, but, that was the last time they ever "repair" or "install" anything I own.

I still can't resist all of their pretty good quality $20 dollar tires, however.

I bought a bike for my sister years ago at a Supergo in Santa Monica, one of their first stores, they only had a couple at that point. The salespeople there reminded me of those you find in a stereo store on commission. Didn't seem to know a whole lot about bikes, but that was okay as I knew what I wanted.

When they opened up in Mtn View (in the SF Bay Area) I went by for some stuff I needed but they didn't have one of the items I needed nor did the salesman know what it was, he had to go ask (I don't remember what part it was but it wasn't a particularly strange or old part). I went by a second time for a rather well known and usually widely stocked tire (they carried it on their website) but again they didn't have any nor did the salesman even know if they carried them, he had to go ask. While there I also saw a salesman sizing someone for a bike with the good old hoist it up to the crotch method.

I didn't buy from them very often even over the net and certainly won't waste the gas going back to them unless maybe I'm looking for a complete bike, some of their deals are pretty good (and at that same Mtn View store a buddy of mine recently picked up a bike they mismarked by more than $600 and even tho more than one person helped him check out, no one noticed).

I never cared for their brand names (the names themselves, not particularly the products, as they're just rebranded stuff like lots out there) like Weyless, Scattante, Access, etc., glad to see someone finally got rid of them (but the replacement "Supergo" isn't a whole lot better).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member

bad Access experience turned good Supergo experience

I usually turn to my LBS for parts needs, but when I irreparably damaged a frame, I turned to Supergo's Access XCL frame (the older version of what dpdsurf pictured above) to quickly and cheaply rebuild.

Only problem was, after building up my old parts on the new frame, I kept having (rim) brake issues. I tried everything I knew how to do, constantly adjusting, and eventually brought it into my LBS which showed me that the rear triangle of the frame was out of alignment! (yeah, I should have seen that) One brake post was actually closer to the rim than the other, and had been causing all sorts of problems.

I brought it back to Supergo (Mountain View), and the manager was understanding. He offered to exchange a new frame of the same model for the misaligned one. I think he said that I could take the new one and bring the old one back when I had stripped it, but I didn't want to make another trip if possible. I explained that I was in a rush and didn't live especially close to Mountain View, so could I please strip the old frame in their shop? He gave me full use of a workstand in back and all the tools, I stripped the old frame, and one of the guys in the shop even swapped the headset for me. I walked out with my new frame (complete with properly aligned brake- and seat-stays) that night, went home, and rebuilt. Though the initial product was faulty, I was pleased with the customer service. I've had no problems with the replacement frame so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i love supergo cause of their prices nobody around here seems to beat them

and knowledge is definitely a hit and miss with them
    (for example when i called about a specialized hardrock they guy who answered didnt even know what i was talking about)

but theres also dan who is going to sell me my first bike the hardrock and he knows his **** since hes a downhill racer he has helped me out alot showed me what to look for told me whats good and whats not great guy

didnt know about their bike mechanic/repair so ill definitely check out how they tune my bike since its free if not ill just take it to another lbs
    manny gomez

I have gone through and am going through very tough problems lately but I will never stop trying to be the best man I can be.-S.F.

Sometimes only the struggle makes it worth it, only the pain makes it sweet, and only victory is the answer.-Unknown

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tucson shop experience

My folks moved to Tucson, so I stop in and when I visit them. Also, I call the Tucson shop when I have a question about something they have in the catalog. I called them to weigh one of their road bikes and take a couple measurements that wasn't published in the catalog.

No problem they said. Got the info right then. Seems every time I call or go in I get Jose or MIke. and both are very freindly and helpful.

When I was ready to buy the bike I asked if the shop would get credit for the purchase or should I order it through the web. HE said he could do it but shipping would be chaeper if it was a web order but thanked me.

Just my $0.00

banned
    I set foot in the Fountain Valley store once and that was more than enough. I needed a few drivetrain parts and they didn't know what I was talking about at first, though after explaining what I needed in KMart terms they understood. Of course they didn't have what I needed after all of that. The Path in Tustin had everything I needed, knew exactly what I was talking about, and even gave me the "good guy" discount without my asking. There is a huge difference between getting a "sweet deal" from a place like stuporgo and getting knowledgable service from a real bike shop that employs real bikers who really ride and know their stuff.

Oh yeah, I set foot in the Phoenix store once and they didn't have Avid Rollamajigs. How can such a huge "emporium" not have Rollamajigs?

Y'all can have your "wayless" garbage.

Oh Hell No!!!!

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Damn! Maybe they should pay thier employees more to show more interest in thier job:)

I kinda caught that myself after a while. They seem to not know much at the Mountain View store, but to hear about all the other stores knowledge? That's pretty sad.

I also went to the store looking for a 180mm rotor. They stated they didn't have rotors at all only complete disc brake kits. After walking around the store I was a bit anxious to blow the $40-50 in something else to invest in. As I get toward the service counter, I noticed they had disc rotors hanging on the wall. I was like OH $h!7 there's some rotor and found what I was looking for; a 180mm rotor. I was pretty bummed to feel like I was a Fry's Electronics asking a sales associate a technical question only to recieve an I don't know answer.

Same thing also happend on a shock jacket question I had. I wanted to see one so I asked one guy and no we don't stock it and he has never heard of it. same day, I found a lizard skin shock jacket shortly after I circle the store 2-3 X's

So bottom line my Fry's Rule applies to Supergo: Don't ask just look or if you see it online call twice and hope you get two diffrent associates picking up the phone to get a for sure answer

SUPERGO:
    A+ PARTS WHEN THEY HAVE IT
    F+ Associates Knowledge for parts questions

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Social Ineptitude is right...

There's no better place to buy apparel or basics like tubes, tires, pumps, etc. However, it sometimes seems like these guys are trained to ignore anyone who is not looking at a $3,000.00 bike ('cause, if you ask 'em about an Enduro S-Works - the sales guy will know all there is to know). Finally they hired a chick or two here in Oceanside who actually ask you if you need help while you're wandering around in the clothing section ... too bad the same doesn't happen when you're looking at parts/components. Based on their poor customer interaction I would not ever trust my bike to them.

That being said, I know I've spent a few thousand dollars at Supergo over the past couple of years on bikes for my wife, kids and other assorted stuff - just can't beat their price on the basics.

In contrast - walk into an Mountain Bike Warehouse (or whatever they're called now) and immediately, someone will roll up along side of you won't flinch at spending 30 minutes answering any questions you might have about any product they have.

Oh Hell No!!!!

Are They Seriously???

Trained to do that? I thought that cute chick at the mountain view store was just super friendly only to get close to me and show hint that she likes me or something. Thanks for the input on thier training.....

I thought she was seriously trying to hit on me. You screwed my shopping experience there. Now I'm broken hearted. Women......

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliius
    There's no better place to buy apparel or basics like tubes, tires, pumps, etc. However, it sometimes seems like these guys are trained to ignore anyone who is not looking at a $3,000.00 bike ('cause, if you ask 'em about an Enduro S-Works - the sales guy will know all there is to know)

In contrast - walk into an Mountain Bike Warehouse (or whatever they're called now) and immediately, someone will roll up along side of you won't flinch at spending 30 minutes answering any questions you might have about any product they have.
    This is why i shop at my LBS......they will do this for any customer.....even the guy who comes in with only $250 to spend on a mtn bike.

mtnbikej

ronbo613
    The Oceanside Supergo is near where I live. I buy stuff from them on a regular basis, mostly stuff like chains, tires, tubes, lube, etc. I do all my own wrenching so I don't need much advice. They have really low prices so that is the main thing to me. I bought an Access frame that snapped after a short life so I wouldn't buy another. I'm shopping for a Specialized FSRxc so if Supergo had it, I wouldn't have any problem buying from them. Bicycle Warehouse, also nearby, is a good place, the people are really cool, but if the same bike is $200-300 more there, it's hard for me to cough up the extra cash. To me, the Supergo store is just like buying online only you walk in the store; low prices, no customer service.

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    just to brag about adrenaline...i went in there to ask if i needed to change my fork seals cause i dont know a thing about forks, and the guy gave me a full rundown on if i need to, why i would need to, and how to do it. he pulled out another fork and showed me all the things i needed to do on it, and got out the manual and showed me how to do it, AND told me how much it was to get new forks from enduro, AND he told me where and what oil to get. this was my second time ever in the shop, and i never bought anything from them! amazing, i will never go to switchback cyclery agian unless for things like tubes (buy 4 get 1 free). i went into switchback to ask them about the same thing i did with adrenaline, and the guy told me it would be 40 bucks labor, not even in seals and oil, i would have to leave it in over night, and there is no way i would be able to do it myself. jackass. thanks to adrenaline, i realized i dont even need to replace them!
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    if you're doing your own work. When I first went into one of the shops I was kind of in awe at the quantity of stuff. But, after time, I realized that they have alot of stuff, but not necessarily a lot of choices. if htey have what you want, get it there. if they don't you'll have to get it somewhere else anyway.

As others have stated. Good place if you are up on your equipment. Go there for the sales. The stuff not on sale is the same as other shops, so I will support my fav lbs. I just can't pass up their blowouts at or below cost. They do have a lot of stuff, but not a lot of selection across the boards. I usually scope the Mountain View store out 1-2x a month for specials. For reference, I usually hit my favorite lbs 1-2x a week for essentials or to shoot the shiznit with the bros.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast