Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    There's no app for this.

Sunday 'shore ride

I've tried to fix this as bast I can...delaing with a new site I'm not familiar with for the pix.

At 10 we met and shuttle up to the top of Seymour in North Van. Alan B. Kirk H ( moderator Craig H's bro) Dave S from our night rides and 2 of his buds Mike and Jason.

The top is now rerouted to trailhead, a short but up/down wet slimy rooty entrance that takes your HR up to about 180, and tests all your balance skills. What a great way to start Sunday, pooped and demoralized before the descent starts

Off we go with much ado and lots of stopping to assess the potential carnage in front. 1st up is Jason, who drops a small ledge Craig and I built 3 years back - a loud kerwhang sounds a bit "bad", and Jason has ripped the top holderoony off the Fox shock on his super 8. He gets to walk the rest of the way down to get road access and coast out to the parking lot.

Next up is Alan B, who drops the final log roll to rock strewn face onto the end of the trail. Alan as always aces the trick, but augers in with his bars and head? at the end. His Hayes lever now only works if you are seated on the front tire and riding the bike backward. A few wrench bends alter it is sort of operation and off we go to Corkscrew.

Being full of beans I lead off determined to clean the 1st drop thats been dogging me for a long time...hard to line up right for it. forward I go and then I discover the skinny plank to drop is gone, replaced be loose rocks on another line. *sigh* next time. We continue on down and simply amaze a herd of Japanese tourists on the trail as we twist and drop and slip around an old creek bed of baby heads. On to Pingu...

No carnage there, simply just fun, and we all try to open up for speed and flow and hit the jumps to clear streams and holes and assorted stuff that's fun to just jump over....

and on to Pangor, I got down some skinnies that elude me most of th time. I must be getting a bit better. Everyone makes it fine, and 3 of us take easy Empress, 2 on hard Empress.
    hard Empress: http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album.pl...r/IMG_0290.JPG
    A fine ride for all, no broken bones, but bruises and scrapes and sweat and smiles.

Later, Alan B and I took time to make April 31st become May 1st over a beer. Life is pretty darn good.

Jim

here are the links, watch out for some pretty humongous pix, it's my 1st time on this site, I dunno why they' re so huge.

Me riding off a log somewhere near the top...
    http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album.p...ur/IMG_0287.JPG

and Alan B on a newly rebuilt section near the Gerbil Cage...

http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album.p...ur/IMG_0274.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    I've tried to fix this as bast I can...delaing with a new site I'm not familiar with for the pix.

At 10 we met and shuttle up to the top of Seymour in North Van. Alan B. Kirk H ( moderator Craig H's bro) Dave S from our night rides and 2 of his buds Mike and Jason.

The top is now rerouted to trailhead, a short but up/down wet slimy rooty entrance that takes your HR up to about 180, and tests all your balance skills. What a great way to start Sunday, pooped and demoralized before the descent starts

Off we go with much ado and lots of stopping to assess the potential carnage in front. 1st up is Jason, who drops a small ledge Craig and I built 3 years back - a loud kerwhang sounds a bit "bad", and Jason has ripped the top holderoony off the Fox shock on his super 8. He gets to walk the rest of the way down to get road access and coast out to the parking lot.

Next up is Alan B, who drops the final log roll to rock strewn face onto the end of the trail. Alan as always aces the trick, but augers in with his bars and head? at the end. His Hayes lever now only works if you are seated on the front tire and riding the bike backward. A few wrench bends alter it is sort of operation and off we go to Corkscrew.

Being full of beans I lead off determined to clean the 1st drop thats been dogging me for a long time...hard to line up right for it. forward I go and then I discover the skinny plank to drop is gone, replaced be loose rocks on another line. *sigh* next time. We continue on down and simply amaze a herd of Japanese tourists on the trail as we twist and drop and slip around an old creek bed of baby heads. On to Pingu...

No carnage there, simply just fun, and we all try to open up for speed and flow and hit the jumps to clear streams and holes and assorted stuff that's fun to just jump over....

and on to Pangor, I got down some skinnies that elude me most of th time. I must be getting a bit better. Everyone makes it fine, and 3 of us take easy Empress, 2 on hard Empress.
    hard Empress: http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album.pl...r/IMG_0290.JPG
    A fine ride for all, no broken bones, but bruises and scrapes and sweat and smiles.

Later, Alan B and I took time to make April 31st become May 1st over a beer. Life is pretty darn good.

Jim

here are the links, watch out for some pretty humongous pix, it's my 1st time on this site, I dunno why they' re so huge.

Me riding off a log somewhere near the top...
    http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album.p...ur/IMG_0287.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jim - the bottom links seem to be broken (for me, anyhow...)

What kind of shape is Pingu/Pangor/Corkscrew in these days?

There's no app for this.

dang pix site won't co-operate

yeah, I can't finger this site out!

What kind of shape is Pingu/Pangor/Corkscrew in these days?[/QUOTE]

Some say 'great', I say OK. rutted, lots of new work done, lots more needs doing, but it's well worth the ride.

Jim

this link should work; of course I can't name anyone or place. sorry.

http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album.pl...-05-01-Seymour

at the bottom, there's a large/medium/small menu to sesize the pix.

mtbr member

You must have been ahead of us

Trevor, Andy and I were on Seymour yesterday. Andy and I saw Kirk at the lot, I guess we just missed you.

Was a good ride until I face-planted on one of the Pangor skinnies. Managed to ring my bell and break the face guard on my helmet.
    "Without the ability to make moral distinctions based on motive, consequences, the ethical constructs of various parties, everything is equal, and you end up with people like Woody Allen: a tiny speck of compacted narcissism, revolving around the dead sun in an empty universe." - James Lileks

There's no app for this.

I saw Trevor

at the bottom, a bit "discouraged". Had a great ride, killed a log on CBC with my ribcage; so far I think I'm OK. why do you always fall where there's no protection when you're already covered head to toe????

one move try at upload....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That looks nice!

We're going to try to rejuvinate that swamp. 1st thing is to stop people from hucking into it an dragging their bikes through.

Yes Pingu and Pangor are pretty beat. But that's what you get on a trail that can be shuttled all year...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They need one of these to haul gravel to the trailheads:

http://www.mucktruckspain.com/index.php
    Pat T.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat T.�
    They need one of these to haul gravel to the trailheads:

http://www.mucktruckspain.com/index.php
    Don't give Jeremy Ideas.

We're already getting a rock drill!

We're planning more work on Neds. I've hiked it a lot in the last few weeks. One of the most long standing structures that is still in great shape is the American Bridge!

Just roll it......

Jim and crew,

Great pics. You mentioned a reroute. I'm assuming you mean the short climb up the road to the trail that takes you back down and connects you to to the hwy. near the beginning of CBC, correct? Just curious as I plan to be on Seymour on Saturday or Sunday this weekend.

I was up on Fromme this past Saturday with a crew. Between the drizzle and the opening of the bike park, it was totally empty up there!! Everything on UOC and 7th Secret were rideable including the U-turn and Big Smooth (although it was a bit slick). The lower stuff (Pink Starfish and Digger) got pretty slick and gave a few of our crew a beatdown. I followed a guy off of the Air Supply gaps for the first time.....and nearly shat myself. Folks must have done some recent work on them because they were in great shape. A quick vid of it.....

http://vanderpol.org/bike/images/eb-airsupply.avi

Cheers,
    EB

There's no app for this.

Nope another route

great vid BTW.

You know the iron gate you used to ride past? Immediately to the right, @ the highway and gate, is a new entrance that's carved out of the woods...you can't miss it. Get into granny and spin and don't stop

I was at Whistler Sat... 3/4 hour to validate my card and sign a waiver, and then a 1/2 hour in line to get up the fargin' hill. Not in great shape, but I've been off the big bike almost a year...need to get my sea legs back so to speak. And a new bike I gotta get used to also.

Jim

Just roll it......

Aha, yep I know exactly what you're talking about.

I've seen guys ride up past the gate in the past and a buddy said that he had taken that entrance to CBC a while ago, but said it wasn't worth it. I'll have to try it this weekend. Thanks for the head's up. My girlfriend is in a Sugoi bike camp all weekend so that leaves me to ride with my buddies on Friday (late afternoon), Saturday and Sunday.

About the park, I'm gonna be picking my pass up in the next couple of weeks. Let all of the fuss die down (yeah, right!) and then get up there. I actually heard the entire bottom half of the mountain was open (except for Whistler DH) from my crew. Pretty crazy for this time of the year!!

Churs,
    EB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl
    Don't give Jeremy Ideas.

We're already getting a rock drill!

We're planning more work on Neds. I've hiked it a lot in the last few weeks. One of the most long standing structures that is still in great shape is the American Bridge!
    That's good to know, usually we hit Corkscrew so I haven't seen Neds for some time. What kind of rock drill is he getting? What are you guys doing to Neds?
    Last edited by Pat T.; 05-04-2005 at 10:14 AM.
    Pat T.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Jim when you going to ride the shore again???? Or for that matter do you know when you might hit whizzler?
    Pat T.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's good to know, usually we hit Corkscrew so I haven't seen Neds for some time. What kind of rock drill is he getting? What are you guys doing to Neds?
    we're dumbing it down!!!!

There were some sections that were too close to the creek that need to be rocked in, there are some braids that need deactivating, there are some ruts that need rerouting, there are some trees that need protecting.

What are you riding now?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What are you riding now?
    One of these..... but with a Super T and Louise FR's with 210/190mm rotors, though I may put my Gustav's back on. And I have a Gazzi Jr on the front and a Syncros rear, nice being able to stick to stuff instead of sliding all over he//. Oh and not one stinkin shimano part LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pat T.

sagebrush and sand
    Nice writeup and pics, Jim!

I plan on falling down those same trails in a few short days...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat T.
    One of these..... but with a Super T and Louise FR's with 210/190mm rotors, though I may put my Gustav's back on. And I have a Gazzi Jr on the front and a Syncros rear, nice being able to stick to stuff instead of sliding all over he//. Oh and not one stinkin shimano part LOL
    Hey! Finally a bike you can ride! Nice!

I thought about that bike for a second until the turner 6pack was introduced to me!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey! Finally a bike you can ride! Nice!

I thought about that bike for a second until the turner 6pack was introduced to me!
    I am still trying to figure out how to ride it, that SPV shock feels like the tire is flat....really weird. But it rides completely different than my pipeline did, so far I am very happy with it, though I may try and change the shock for a 5th, mine won't hold air for more than a day or two.
    Pat T.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am still trying to figure out how to ride it, that SPV shock feels like the tire is flat....really weird. But it rides completely different than my pipeline did, so far I am very happy with it, though I may try and change the shock for a 5th, mine won't hold air for more than a day or two.
    odd, take it back to the shop for warrantee. Lee and I both had the Giant AC2 last year with the Swinger and really like it! I"m getting a 3way for the edge bike.... shhh don't tell Lee!

There's no app for this.

Whistler

Saturday I hope Pat, bike in shop for stiffer springs in the fork. I bought a season's pass for Whistler in hopes I can ride it a bunch. My early Summer will be relatively free for tie, after July I'll be working almost 7 days a week...new job. Argh, Jim

banned
    Jim if it takes you very long to get used to the Veeeeee Takkkkkkk then you aren't well hydrated, or still are sleeping, or something like that. heh. heh heh.

I have ridden mine a bunch since the first build-up, and got the Louise FRs installed on Tuesday and really like them much better than the old Hayes DH that I was running.

still need to do more fiddling with the 5th to get it just right, but after pointing it down some rocky chutes I know that this thing is gonna get me in trouble, 'cuz those same chutes sorta scared me on the Scream and on the Bullit. on the Schmolly they just aren't even there, feel like a NORBA XC course if you know what I mean.

++++++++++++

Pat, two of my friends are riding those Raleigh Ram bikes. One is on the model you pictured, he's riding it just about stock. Another is on the one with the 5" singlecrown on the front (Flick? Firefly? don't recall). those rigs handle nicely.

MTB B'dos
    May be a stupid/n00b question but here goes. Never been to the North Shore so I was wondering.... How come they build all those "walks, bridges, logs"? Is it because it's more fun or because of erosion on the steep mountain making keeping trails "together" near impossible?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    May be a stupid/n00b question but here goes. Never been to the North Shore so I was wondering.... How come they build all those "walks, bridges, logs"? Is it because it's more fun or because of erosion on the steep mountain making keeping trails "together" near impossible?
    Started out as a way over wet marshy areas and has morphed into so much more.

The bridge in one of the pictures goes over a swampy area.

Its also a way to protect tree roots

There's no app for this.

yeah I know but

I had NO big bike and missed all last season at Whistler, spent it on the Enduro. Now I gotta learn to go big again, and by last Sat night I was feeling better on it. Some of the drops still freak me, but the bike sticks the landings like they're not there. Having trouble launching off ramps, must practice more.

You coming up soon? Jim

There's no app for this.

what Brodiegrrl said and

we also have lots of windfalls (blown down trees) in the forest, and instead of climbing over them, they became Incorporated into the ride with "A" frames over them at 90 degrees, or ride down them if that worked better.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast