Yappy little dog!

Sunday Morning Pill

I had to get me four days of riding in, in order to make up for the next seven day's of travel. I was doing pretty good and figured Sunday should be a longer ride. Now, the past three days had been patrol rides. I figured, why not keep it going. Decisions, decisions. Then, just before I shut my eyes it hit me. Sunday is an even day. NO hikers on Centennial Cone! BINGO!

I got an early start at 8:00 AM to a pretty packed parking lot. Wow, I wan't the only one with the same idea. And so the climb up Mayhem Gulch began.

Right off the bat, the first person I passed and everyone else said the same thing.

"You know there is a hiker up ahead."

Funny thing to say, now that I think about it. I just started up the trail. Thanks, I said.

"I feel funny telling him he shouldn't be there", she said.

Ok, I said. I'll talk to him

I continue the climb.

I finally catch up to the evil perpetrator about three miles in. I explain the alternate weekend rules, the possibility of a fine, and that he'll get clobbered by a biker that doesn't expect him to be on the trail. He turns around and heads back down. I'm sure that enough people coming up gave him grief, that he was pretty pissed by the time he got to his car.

I tried to be polite and hopefully that kept him in good spirits, but I later heard from others on the trail that he was not very happy about it.

Since half the trail is closed for elk calving, the ride is an out and back. I actually prefer it that way, since the other half is just dirt road anyway.

I met all kinds of nice and polite bikers today. Lots of yielding, hellos, thanks, and more. Plenty of people I knew and some I didn't.

The ride felt pretty easy today. I was kind of regret not bringing the singlespeed.

Trails are always in transition. Erosion, growth, and trees that kind of make you wonder. This sucker is definitely a soon-to-be widow maker.

The wildflowers were not popping here yet, though there were some.

I hope we get some more rain. I love it when it's green

Upon reaching the highest point, I plucked my butt down and soaked it all in. I spent quite a while here, chatting it up with the riders, and letting another couple of hikers know it's not their turn.

Time to turn around and head back. I took my time, since there were a lot of people heading up. There's so many blind corners, I didn't want to take a chance.

mtbr member
    Gorgeous country. I'm envious. All I know is CT woods, rocks and roots, not a lot of sky. Totally different vibe.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Great ride report as usual... thanks for continuing to do all you do for the trails in the front range. Miss the fellowship of weekend rides in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Nice! California got a ways to go...

pin it
    Gorgeous scenery and buff looking trails. Thanks for sharing your pics and ride report
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Looks like a perfect day

mtbr member
    Awesome "Passion" post. Thanks for sharing. And thankful for your dedication to the job. Hope the rest of the week only gets better.

Humble servant
    Nice post. Makes me want to get out and ride!
    Idiot Out Riding Around

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Centennial Cone is one of the trails around here that makes me thankful I live in Colorado every time I ride it.

It's funny, I've come across hikers virtually every time I have ridden the Cone on the weekend lately... I wonder how a biker would be approached if they rode on an odd day?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Centennial Cone is one of the trails around here that makes me thankful I live in Colorado every time I ride it.

It's funny, I've come across hikers virtually every time I have ridden the Cone on the weekend lately... I wonder how a biker would be approached if they rode on an odd day?
    Funny you should say that. I heard the same thing from at least eight different riders that day.

My job is to just be polite to everyone, whether they are wrong or right. Some people wanted me to yell at the hikers, but I didn't. In fact I had a conversation with the two girls who hiked in from the North lot in front of a group of bikers. I hope my way of politely telling them they had to go back rubbed off. It's taken me a while as a mountain biker to feel this way. I was an angry rider a few years ago, but my approach now is to kill them with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    Great ride report as usual... thanks for continuing to do all you do for the trails in the front range. Miss the fellowship of weekend rides in Colorado.
    I miss riding with you, too. There were some good times, though mostly you laughing at me falling in snow drifts. You need to get wifey on board with moving here.

Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post
    Nice! California got a ways to go...
    Nah, California has some cool places too. I like the rides in San Diego and Tahoe. It's all good, just different.

Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Awesome "Passion" post. Thanks for sharing. And thankful for your dedication to the job. Hope the rest of the week only gets better.
    Thanks. No rides this week, though I am staring at my singlespeed here my California remote office. If I could just push myself to leave work on time and take a ride along the beach. I know I could do it, I just need a little push. Heck, I can see Whiting Ranch from here. Aaaarrrggghhh!

mtbr member
    Beautiful pics!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This is probably the wrong forum, but I just don't get the hiker - biker feud that goes on in Colorado. I find it childish and unnecessary. In Texas (at least where I ride), this is not even a part of the conversation. I freely admit that our trails are different than those in Colorado (primarily that there is far more gravity involved, far more wilderness). It seems to me that if both hikers and bikers universally adopted the notion that we are ambassadors of our respective sports and that no one low impact user group has any more right to nature than any other low impact user group, we could all just enjoy the trails without even day / odd day restrictions, trail restrictions, etc.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garthhog View Post
    This is probably the wrong forum, but I just don't get the hiker - biker feud that goes on in Colorado. I find it childish and unnecessary. In Texas (at least where I ride), this is not even a part of the conversation. I freely admit that our trails are different than those in Colorado (primarily that there is far more gravity involved, far more wilderness). It seems to me that if both hikers and bikers universally adopted the notion that we are ambassadors of our respective sports and that no one low impact user group has any more right to nature than any other low impact user group, we could all just enjoy the trails without even day / odd day restrictions, trail restrictions, etc.
    Conflicts are not localized to Colorado. They exist everywhere. People generally have self-entitlement issues and some are more vocal than others. We are blessed in Colorado to have the resources we do, so close to where we live. For a small population state, most of those people live in and around Denver. The foothills are 20 minutes or less away. If you survey the population and ask why they live here, the number one answer will be "for the outdoors".

We literally have a wall of mountains. You can only go up, when you go West. Most people will not venture far from the highway, so that narrows your open space options. Put that with many people on just a few trails and there are bound to be conflicts. We all want to enjoy our paradise peacefully and want to get the most out of it. Face it, we (mountain bikers) like to go fast, especially when you don't have to pedal. A bike going 25 mph downhill is no match for feet going 1.5 mph uphill on an 18" wide path. Throw in the exposure on some of our "faster" trails and it could be scary. The odd/even allows us get the full potential effect without upsetting the others. It's still better than a hiker only trail.

I don't think it's an us vs them anymore. It used to be. I think that has settled down. It's now more about how can each group have some time to themselves to "push" their limits.

FYI, there are only two trails within the Jefferson County open space and one in the Boulder County open space that have odd/even (or other day) restrictions. There are a few hiker only trails and no bike only trails.

mtbr member
    The hiker-biker-horse feud is not limited to Colorado by any means. It is a nation-wide ordeal that probably stems from a very small percentage of all user groups involved.

I agree that if all users acted as ambassadors of the land and user group there would be no conflict. But that is asking for people to be accepting of others, rational, and show a little bit of compassion for other people.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    It seems to me that if both hikers and bikers universally adopted the notion that we are ambassadors of our respective sports and that no one low impact user group has any more right to nature than any other low impact user group, we could all just enjoy the trails without even day / odd day restrictions, trail restrictions, etc.
    if people were capable of doing that, there wouldn't really be any problems in the world. It sounds so simple, but not treating others the way you'd like to be treated is the cause of literally every problem humans face.