Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Summer: the new off season!

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  KRob 
#1 ·
Last winter I picked up a fat bike, and like many things in life one thing ends up effecting other things in delightfully unexpected ways.

As it turns out, even though cycling is by far my favorite activity, I don't want to do it 12 months a year every year. I loved winter biking so much I all but stopped backcountry skiing and snowboarding. Then in the spring was road tripping to find dirt. Then when the trails opened up in our local mountains I hit them all and hit them hard. Got into the best shape since my 20's. I can't imagine a more fun way to be with friends, explore the mountains and get in shape than biking.

Then the heat of july came and I put my bikes away. I decided it was time for the "off season". Got out my hiking shoes and started training for an ultra light backpacking trip. Called up an old climbing buddy and we put together a 3 day, 75 mile traverse in the wind river range. Below are few pictures of this little walk.

I loved every minute of this trip and it occurred to me: I probably would have never done something like this if I didn't buy a fat bike.

Now it's late august, and like I did about skiing as a kid I'm dreaming of my fat bike rolling through the pristine white blanket of winter. But first comes fall, and that means riding with lights on starry nights.

I post this to encourage others to not be afraid to mix it up. Bike year round if you like, or take an off season and try something new.

Feel free to post your thoughts!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My "off season" is winter. I don't have a fat bike, or the money to buy a fat bike, so as long as the trails are dry, and the temp. is below 90 degrees F, I try to ride every weekend.

#11 ·
Cool post. I'm forced into an off-season of sorts in December and January where I bikea little less, do a little XC skiing and traveling to warmer climes.... but I pretty much ride year round.

Care to share your route? We did a three day back packing trip in the Wind Rivers several years ago that started at Green River Lakes. I know we climbed Mt. Glover (across from Gannett Peak) and ended up in Pinedale, I think. Beautiful country. Fond memories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.