Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MTBR East

Upset Stupid Supergo (long, but I need your opinions )

Hello Passionites.

I have a dilemma/situation and I need my fellow mtb'ers opinions/suggestions.

On Monday of this week I placed an online order from Supergo for a 2005 E2 helmet ( silver, medium ) and a pair of Fox shorts. It took me awhile to finally breakdown and actually order this stuff for two reasons: 1. i hate spending money 2. my last dealings with Performance ( same co. as Supergo and now Nashbar too maybe? ) were horrible to say the least. The last time I tried to order a new helmet ( last year, the 2004 E2 ) the website said they had it, blah blah blah, long story short - order was never processed, got no communication from Performance until I called them. I called them and they tell me the website was wrong, etc etc. And that was that. No email from them informing me that what I had ordered never even processed, nothing. Not what I expected from a company myself and my family had ordered from for years. I drafted a lengthy email expressing my disappointment and sent it along. Their reply was a "cut and paste" response which I thought was really informal and not what I had been hoping for. I'm sorry this is so long....back to this week's idiocy.

So I order on Monday, log on Tuesday to check on the order. Helmet has shipped, shorts are backordered. Oh boy, here we go again I think. So I call and speak to a very helpful customer service rep. who lets me know the helmet is on its way, and that they don't know when the shorts will be in, substitutes another pair for me and ships them 2 day for free. That is the type of service I expect. Fast forward to yesterday ( Wednesday )....I come home from work excited to unveil my new helmet. It's on my doorstep, bring it in inside and tear it open like a kid on Xmas. Gee, that helmet doesn't look SILVER....in fact it looks WHITE. I almost threw it through my kitchen window.

So I call Supergo.

CSR - "I'm sorry sir. We don't sell the E2 in silver."
    me - "Than why is it on your website, and on my order sheet?"
    CSR - "Oh, we were given the wrong picture for our website."
    me - "Ok, than why would you knowingly ship me the wrong helmet?"
    CSR - "We didn't know at the time, sir."
    me - "Can I please talk to your supervisor?"
    CSR - "I'm sorry sir, he's not here past 6:00."

I'm sorry guys, but I don't believe the CSR when she tells me "they gave us the wrong picture for our website". ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Today I will be calling the supervisor back, in addition to calling Giro and letting them know that one of their largest retailers is failing miserably. I've tried twice to order a shiny new E2 and yet I still can't seem to get one.

Please give me your thoughts. Am I being unfair? Am I expecting too much? Why has the service level of our country gone down the tubes?

Flynn ( still wearing his 5 yr old beat up Bell )

another day at the office

Support your LBS

If your experiences with mail order companies have been frustrating, just spend a few extra dollars and purchase from your favorite LBS. At least you can put your hands on the product before actually buying it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    What do you expect when you cut a deal with SATAN!

666!
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

MTBR East

Lbs

Quote Originally Posted by bustamove
    If your experiences with mail order companies have been frustrating, just spend a few extra dollars and purchase from your favorite LBS. At least you can put your hands on the product before actually buying it.
    I buy most of my parts from my LBS. I support him a lot, cause he gives me incredible service. In fact, I drive 45 mins to get to his shop. There are 3 other shops 5 mins from my house. He doesn't stock the E2, although I'm sure he could order it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Halters Cycles rocks. ( free plug for my boy J )

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

My take...

The retailer should treat you better. But, that having been said:

It is your mistake for dealing with them. I know it sounds harsh, but the retailers you mentioned are known for low prices, not good service. If you want good service go somewhere else and pay a little for the knowledge and service. .

On the rare occasions that I order from said online retailers, I only buy things that I don't really care about size, color or even quality.

I think of hte large online retailers like I think of Wal-Mart. If you buy from a retailer that has prices like Wal-Mart and you can expect to get the quality and service of Wal-Mart.

Good luck getting the helmet you want...
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Use Pricepoint or JensonUsa! they tend to only screw things up every second or third order...I got fed up with the rest... Speedgoat is pretty good service but they tend to be a little more pricey!
    had faily good luck with CambriaBike. I also tend to Call and speak to someone directly when placing an order...less chance of user errors... or confusion as to whats ordered/in stock/not listed/whatever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    Use Pricepoint or JensonUsa! they tend to only screw things up every second or third order...I got fed up with the rest... Speedgoat is pretty good service but they tend to be a little more pricey!
    had faily good luck with CambriaBike. I also tend to Call and speak to someone directly when placing an order...less chance of user errors... or confusion as to whats ordered/in stock/not listed/whatever.
    I patronize both my LBS and Jensens'. If my LBS doesn't have what I want and I'm in a hurry to get it, I can have it delivered through Jensens' in 2 days. It is usually about a week for my LBS to get a special order in. BTW, I have probably placed about 10 orders with Jensens' over the past couple of years ranging from tools to custom build wheelsets and have never had a screw-up or a delayed order.
    Another day in paradise!

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn
    Please give me your thoughts. Am I being unfair? Am I expecting too much?
    I think you're expecting a little too much. It was a mistake. Does it matter why it happened? Not really. As long as they're willing to let you return or exchange it. Are they? Seems your blowing off steam before talking to the supervisor. I'd imagine the supervisor will let you return it at their cost for a refund or exchange. If not, then you have a reason to b!tch.

Why has the service level of our country gone down the tubes?
    That's simple. It's $$$$$. Good service costs money. Mail order doesn't really need great service, hence you save money.

Shreddin the Cul de Sac
    You say you knew supergo was the same company as performance and nashbar. You say you had a bad experience with them in the past. But you gave them your money anyway. Not sure what to say. You want to pay cut rate prices but you want top notch service too?

I just bought an leftover closeout E2 from my LBS a few weeks ago for 75 bucks. It was white. But I could see in front of my eyes what sizes/colors were on clearance. What was the Supergo price?

I'm sorry for being a d!ck about it. I have felt your pain in the past. some stuff is not worth the aggravation of trying to save a few bucks. I will never buy shoes or helmets online. Stuff like tubes/tires are a diff story (10 for 20 bucks at pricepoint). You don't need them immediately and the cost diff is great - that stuff is $$$ at the lbs.

So yes I guess I think you're wrong to be upset. You get what you pay for. You want good service and selection, you gotta pay more.
    keep moving

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    no, you're not being unfair or asking too much. unfortunately that's not reality. i always call in my orders because i don't trust the web site to be correct and i don't like giving out my credit card number over the internet. i have very good luck (100% success) in getting what i want, when i want this way. dealing with any lbs i've ever dealt with is a crap shoot. sometimes it gets ordered sometimes not. almost never get a call thats its in or there was a problem getting the part.

MTBR East

Good service costs money?

Ok. A few people have stated "Good service costs money", etc.

So, if I had paid full price from Supergo and they still sent the wrong helmet, than I could be mad?

I fully realize that I was taking a risk by ordering from a company who had screwed me before, but is that what we've come to expect? Dealing with online retailers that offer cheaper prices means you get incorrect orders? I must expect way too much....

All I expected was the correct order! Nothing else!

If anything, I would've thought that when they went to fill my order and saw that they didn't even carry silver E2 helmets, they would've emailed me, etc. Or better yet, how about stock what you show on your website?

Again, I appreciate everyone's opinions. I guess my expectations on customer service need to be lowered.

Map Maker
    so what!? it was white, big deal
    either keep it because it was a good deal , or return it because its not the right color. stop complaining. why are you surprized if you alreay know what you are dealing with.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

Ride what you want!!
    This is where all the "LBS's are a rip" off crowd should jump in and tell me that I'm a fool for not shopping online.

Support your LBS. Did you save money online? How much was that time wasted and stress suffered worth to you?

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

my girl rides also
    Feb 2005
    Although just about all my online purchaces have been error-, stress-, and f-up free, I know quite a few that have had issues. Anytime you order something online can be a crap shoot....you never know who the yoyo is on the other end processing your order.

But as cbchess said, yeah, it's white, big deal. It'll stll keep your noodle from being scraped off a rock one of these days.

Look on the bright side as well.....it's white (col #256)....it reflects light better, so you're more visible, which, ultimately, in the end, will save you from being hit by a dumbass behind the wheel. Not that you're a roadie or anything, but you get the idea.

scott

master of "the robot"
    my only advice, if you use them again, call. it doesn't make the stuff cost any extra, and you can have someone verify stock.

i'd return the helmet and get the color you want, even if you have to get it somewhere else.
    .....chicks dig fenders.....

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Ok. A few people have stated "Good service costs money", etc.
    Yes it does. In an online retail market absolutely. Face to face in person from say a waiter or from your mechanic, yes good service is virtually free. And I think expected.

Perhaps you should consider taking a job (for minimum wage) at a distributor who takes online orders, working as an order filler. Pulling hundereds of items a day, packaging them up and trying to get them out the door before the end of day. Where every penny counts trying to out price your competetors. The whole while your boss is pressuring you to work faster, and the CSR's are yelling at you for messing up 3 orders yesterday.

Or you could start your own buisness. Hire fully competent hard working employees, pay them well above minimum wage and great benefits. Which will drive your costs higer than supergo, jenson, etc. and you go out of buisness do to lack of orders.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler

Call 'em before the order

A good habit (especially with superblo) is to call and verify. Return the thing for a refund (hopefully you kept the packing material intact) and buy one from Jenson. They've got the grey ones on sale for another couple days I think.
    Supergo's web site is wrong.... it still shows the E2 in silver.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member

New question here.

Does Vai work at Supergo now?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I'm confused by your anger...

I fully realize that I was taking a risk by ordering from a company who had screwed me before, but is that what we've come to expect? Dealing with online retailers that offer cheaper prices means you get incorrect orders? I must expect way too much....

Yes, you do expect too much. Especially since you KNEW going in that you had problems with their service.

I'm wit' da' Trog.... how much time, effort and money have you wasted trying to save a few bucks. I have come to the conclusion that it is not worth it. I've had probs w/ my LBS too, but at least with my LBS I can look a guy in the eye and work it out.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum
    What do you expect when you cut a deal with SATAN!...666!

too funny.....find a lbs an order from them...show them the price and try to get them to be close to it.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Can't believe you gave them money again given your past problems, or are surprised once you did. I think you're overreacting to the csr's comment, it doesn't make sense to me either, but you get what you pay for. Personally I've not had a problem with the group (Performance/Nashbar/Supergo), but haven't purchased much from them either.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by george_da_trog
    This is where all the "LBS's are a rip" off crowd should jump in and tell me that I'm a fool for not shopping online.

Support your LBS. Did you save money online? How much was that time wasted and stress suffered worth to you?

george
    For those of who are 100% self sufficient than it's worth doing some selective shopping.

I dropped about $1.5K (without bying a bike) at my LBS last year, but spent about $600 - $700 online.

As for rip off, it depends. Magura brake pads at my LBS cost the same as online, in fact cheaper 1/2 the time. SRAM XO shifters & rear der. can be had for WAY less than just the rear der. at my LBS. So much so that I't'd be like getting a free Thomson stem (hell, and some tires, and the shipping) in the deal!

(rear der. at LBS = $215, shifters = $85 at LBS total = $300!!!!)

At Jenson, where I have had 100% excellent service for 3 years running now, I can get the shifters and derailleur for about $185. When I can save that sort of money (hell, forget the stem & tires - go on a 3 day Moab trip!!!!) I HAVE to. When my bike budget is so tight, given bikes, parts, travel, racing, gear/clothing, SHOES and so on - I'll have to save money as I can.

Of course, when it came time to build the new racing steed, I went right to the shop, as a "whole bike" deal is untouchable online, at least for big-mfr. bikes/frames (one of which is a team sponsor, so I got to use 'em).

Anyhow, it's OK as far as I'm concerned to patronize both, provided one does not expect CS miracles from behind a web browser...
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

One wheeled
    I fully realize that I was taking a risk by ordering from a company who had screwed me before, but is that what we've come to expect?
    I'd like to know how they screwed you before? Did they charge your CC and cancel the order without a refund? I agree with others, return it, keep it, just get over it.

MTBR East
    To all that have replied....thanks. Apparently I have overreacted. I just expect more from any retailer I give my business to - web based or not.

I tried to believe the screw up last year was based on "growing pains" from the merger of Performance and Supergo. That is why I attempted to use them again.

LBS - as I stated before, I'd say I buy 90% of my parts, clothing, bikes, etc. from my LBS. I had stopped in last week to see if he had an E2 and he didn't. Rather than have him order one for me, I decided to try and ( gasp! ) buy one online.

I spoke with Supergo yesterday. They maintain that Giro sent them the wrong color helmets. This is the piece of this story that had me angry folks. Yes, I didn't like getting a screwed up order, but I'm not a focking moron. I realize mistakes are made when picking orders, etc. But to list a helmet that you don't even stock is pretty poor to me. I am highly doubtful that I am the first to order a silver E2. As of 8:52 est today, the website is still listing 2005 E2's in silver.

Have I learned my lesson? Yes.

Hope everyone gets out and rides this weekend. I'll be doing the 5 Boroughs Tour in NYC. Should prove to be interesting. Not the same as singletrack....but I'm sure I'll have to bunny hop some bodies, hookers, etc.

mtbr member

No good

Funny cause it still says silver and shows the silver pic. They're obviously idiots.

Agreed, go through your LBS. I usually do better price wuse too.
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast