Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

student killed in a bike race donates organs

894 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Speedub.Nate 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Yeah, I am -- hope it never comes to that.

The details of Matt's accident seem so -- innocuous. Whenever I read the recap of an accident -- whether it be bike or airplane or whatever -- I must find solace in identifying what went wrong and "checking off" something not to do to keep myself out of similar trouble. Knee to the handlebars, though...

#4 ·
I just signed my organ donar card about a month ago. It is so easy to do. Once you are dead you have no need for your organs, so you may as well save the life of somebody else. Whenever these type of tradgic stories come up it is nice that at least some good comes out of it. There is always a need. I hope i won't be giving mine up any time soon though.

#6 ·
Stophovr6 said:
Is it enough to have my drivers license say im an organ donor or do i have to fill out a card also?
Probably depends on in which state you reside.

You should fact check this because I didn't, but I used to carry a pink organ donor ID card stuck to the back side of my CA drivers license, but now I only have pink "DONOR" dot applied to the face of my card and my donor preferences are stored in a database somewhere.

#8 · (Edited)
I have a kidney transplant, my kidneys failed in 1998 when I was 18. I was diagnosed with acute renal failure while I was in a medically induced coma, which I was put in to be treated for bacterial meningitis. When I woke up I had to start doing dialysis. To make a really long story short, I did dialysis on and off for three years and got a transplant from my Mom on 4-4-2001. IMO Donating your organs is the most compassionate gift you can give someone . I got a second chance at a normal life and I don't take that for granted. I started riding bikes about four months after my surgery for a fun active hobby that'd keep me out of trouble. Now its a sport for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.