Thread: Stormy

Yappy little dog!

Stormy

Weatherman launches the usual propaganda. "Just one to three inches". he says. After shoveling snow in intervals all day on Saturday, I refused to buy into the talking head's agenda. Surely, Sunday will be better.

As the light flakes continue to fall, I ponder my decision until it's too late. I'm already into this. Turning back now would only mean succumbing to the botched forecast.

Not as many footprints as I'd envisioned. A smattering of heels and toes, a post hole or two, and the occasional snowshoe. Normally, I'd be cursing up a storm by now (pun intended), but the extra effort was making me warm. I like being warm.

Almost there. A final grunt.

That's right, snow. I foiled your evil plan, once again.

Even fewer ventured beyond the middle. Why, I wonder? It doesn't matter to me. Now, it becomes a downhill snow bike.

A blustery day seems to evoke cold, yet I find so much warmth.

Light freak
    Nice job schnauzers! Appreciate you packing down the trail a bit for us skinny tire guys We rode that ride last week and it was incredible then, can't imagine how peaceful it must have bee up there today.

mtbr member
    Nice pics, nice fat tires. I don't see any back-up gear or extra clothing on your bike. Do you not worry about unexpected sleep overs in the woods?
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Nice pics, nice fat tires. I don't see any back-up gear or extra clothing on your bike. Do you not worry about unexpected sleep overs in the woods?
    Is that why everyone puts those framepacks on their fatties?

It's just a local open space park. I also had a few layers on, an extra in my pack, and I always carry a firestarter. It's a fairly busy park with good cell phone coverage.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Ugh I just got rain after a ton of snow
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

The White Jeff W
    Is it just me or was weather forecasting better before all the computer models and Doppler radars?
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Great photos. Thanks for sharing. After having the flu this past weekend I've been sulking a bit this week and haven't gone out. You've inspired me to get back out in the snow.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Great photos. Thanks for sharing. After having the flu this past weekend I've been sulking a bit this week and haven't gone out. You've inspired me to get back out in the snow.
    I rode with the crud over xmas break. Get on the bike and sweat it out .

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Is it just me or was weather forecasting better before all the computer models and Doppler radars?
    I think you are right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    How hard is it to ride a fat bike through the snow. Seems tough, but I may be wrong. They look cool as hell too

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullcoilmojo View Post
    How hard is it to ride a fat bike through the snow. Seems tough, but I may be wrong. They look cool as hell too
    Personally, I find anything more than three inches deep to be hard unless it's tamped down by snow shoers, hikers, or xc skiers. I usually wait a day after a storm for those guys to do their handy work. Other than that, it's kind of like riding in sand.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullcoilmojo View Post
    "Through the snow" is extremely hard. On top of the packed snow is great fun if you like exploring. If your idea of fun is to have someone drive you to the top of a mountain and you riding your bike down the trail as fast as you can, a fat bike is not for you.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Would have been great riding in the snow this weekend but the below zero temps disheartened me from getting out of the man cave....just shoveling the snow out of the driveway I felt my fingers going numb.. LOL.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.