Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bicyclist

The Stolen Bike Thread

I want to make a list of all the bikes stolen from mtbr members to get an idea if the size of the problem. Tell us what was stolen, what it was worth (USD please) and then the running total.

(mid-sept 04) '03 Fisher Tassajara+Cateye+accessories = $890~

Running total 890
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

Glad to Be Alive
    BMX race bike...$360.00

$1250.00
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

To legit to quit
    my vegas tj got yanked while i was at summer school. $600 originally, plus the brand new maxx daddys and primo grips i put on the day before. the 50 for my warranty wheel and the 125 or so i had into the drivetrain. was so pissed. cops didnt even care, then like a week later some kid down the street's walwart special disapears and the cops are at my house sweatin me about all my bikes and where did i get them. good for me pops came out with his badge and told them to take a hike. anyways this is what replaced it, which is ok cuz this is the best year for these i think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MySpace.com/DansJustChillin
    MySpace.com/DirtyBobbysBikes

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    Check my signature... Click the picture...
    Over $2000 dumped into that thing..
    Cost me another $2500 to replace it.
    $4500 total loss.

Good thread.
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

Very Combustible
    Robinson MX Race - $350 - First Real BMX bike
    [SIZE=4]
    "People are always asking me, how is it that firefighrers run into a burning building when everyone else is running out. Courage is the answer." - John Travolta
    [/SIZE]

life is a barrel o'fun
    Trek 4500 blue/white- about $500.

My first non-rigid mtb.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

Big Drops
    Nov 2004
    1) GT RTS 3 - $1k.
    2) Trek Antelope, Rock Shox Quadra, Brahma Bar. $400?
    Both great bikes. Lots of memories.

Both stolen in Fremont, CA, 1996-1997. A fine American city. That may be a stretch. It does offer a BART station and a decent pizza parlor.
    Huck Maestro

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Stolen in 2002: Specialized Stumpjumper M2, Cane Creek wheels, XTR goodies. About $2200.
    Fecker(s)
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I had my Jamis Dragon stolen in 2000. It was less than a year old and I had about $1500 in it. It was part of a bicycle theft ring at the college I went to. They were in turn taking them to pawn shops and selling them for a little bit of nothing. The thiefs and the pawn shops got in big trouble.

To make it worse, it came to be known years later that the one who stole my bike was actually a friend of mine in college.

mtbr member
    1980's Univega Omega-my brother gave it to me when he joined the Navy. I think he paid about $200 used for it. I was pissed because it had a computer and a nice seat on it.
    1980's specialized stumpjumper was stolen from the Bart station at the Colliseum in Oakland, CA. When I got back I found fragments of broken chains from mine and other bikes all over the ground. What's worse was this bike was a loner. The owner hadn't ridden it in years though.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    October, 2004
    Ellsworth Isis
    $3200

Stolen from my home, so homeowners insurance stepped up and did me right. Now have a smokin Yeti 575
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

No Justice = No Peace

Santa Cruz Chameleon

Stolen off the top of my truck. They Cut cables and loosened the stem bolts. When we came out in the morning, all that was left was a fork in the locked Yakima and a cut cable in the gutter.

Actual cost - 800.00

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    Stolen off the top of my truck. They Cut cables and loosened the stem bolts. When we came out in the morning, all that was left was a fork in the locked Yakima and a cut cable in the gutter.

Actual cost - 800.00
    man that sucks
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Stolen from M Street, DC, outside my gym in January of this year:

1995 Specialized Hard Rock Sport with a blue titec stem, Bontrager Maverick rims and fairly generic hubs, Tioga cityslicker 1.25 tires; bontrager sport crankset, Cateye computer mount, a couple of headlight mounts, a rear light, spd pedals, old specialized body geometry saddle, bontrager crowbar handlebars, frankencassette on the rear. Probably not even worth $500, but priceless to me...it was to become my singlespeed shortly since it had semi-horizontal drops, I just had not gotten around to it yet. It all fit me perfectly, and I could jump really high with it, at least really high for me.

Thieves Suck
    Feb 2004

It Sucked

2000 Trek 8000 & Accessories = $850

Stolen 12/28/2003. Cops came by. Let the new deputy fill out his first Theft report.

They cut through the lock on the storage door on my apartment. Technically breaking and entering. They also tried to get in every other person's storage. They only chose to break into mine. They also got my backpacking, fishing gear, and sunglasses. They took the time to pick through and take what they wanted. Lost about $3000 in gear that time. THEY EVEN STOLE MY LOCK!!! I figured I shouldn't have to lock my bike to the storage with a lock already on the door!

Exactly two weeks later, someone broke into my car and stole my spare credit card, my last pair of sunglasses, and my last souvenir from living in Hawaii. They also took the time to pick through everything and take what they wanted. Lost about $500 that time.

These two incidents happened 500 miles apart. I felt like the thief was following me.

WORST TWO WEEKS EVER!

I HATE GOLF
    Quote Originally Posted by jreed3
    I had my Jamis Dragon stolen in 2000. It was less than a year old and I had about $1500 in it. It was part of a bicycle theft ring at the college I went to. They were in turn taking them to pawn shops and selling them for a little bit of nothing. The thiefs and the pawn shops got in big trouble.

To make it worse, it came to be known years later that the one who stole my bike was actually a friend of mine in college.
    Did you beat his ass? You should find him and beat his ass with a floor pump.
    FVCK YOU

bicyclist
    just the other night now, my parents' Norcos (two 2004s) were stolen out of their shed in the backyard.
    '04 Wolverine+upgrades 500 USD
    '04 Bushpilot with stuff 400 USD
    the bushpilot (my mum's) had about 100km on it. four bucks a kilometer.
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

No Justice = No Peace

If it helps....

The Chameleon (posted above) belonged to my daughter. A birthday present she had only ridden three or four times. A local dealer hooked us up on it for about half of the retail value, and we couldn't afford to replace it.

The bike was on my car top at my girl friend's house. We had never left a bike outside in her neighborhood, but we all rode adn ate too much and fell asleep early.

Words can not describe the sadness of my 13 year old daughter when she realized (on her way to school) that her new bike was gone.

This was on Tuesday night. Two days later, Thursday night, I woke up to some noise outside the window and looked up to see my girlfriend's 1988 Honda Accord leaving for Mexico. It had 140,000 miles and I can promise you, it was cleaner than my Jepp was 3 days after I got it. Perfect car, gone up in smoke.

Total loss for the week - 48,000 more or less, not including all of the papers, keys, personal items that were in the trunk and glove compartment....

No Justice = No Peace

If it helps....

The Chameleon (posted above) belonged to my daughter. A birthday present she had only ridden three or four times. A local dealer hooked us up on it for about half of the retail value, and we couldn't afford to replace it.

The bike was on my car top at my girl friend's house. We had never left a bike outside in her neighborhood, but we all rode adn ate too much and fell asleep early.

Words can not describe the sadness of my 13 year old daughter when she realized (on her way to school) that her new bike was gone.

This was on Tuesday night. Two days later, Thursday night, I woke up to some noise outside the window and looked up to see my girlfriend's 1988 Honda Accord leaving for Mexico. It had 140,000 miles and I can promise you, it was cleaner than my Jepp was 3 days after I got it. Perfect car, gone up in smoke.

Total loss for the week - 8,000 more or less, not including all of the papers, keys, personal items that were in the trunk and glove compartment....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stophovr6
    Did you beat his ass? You should find him and beat his ass with a floor pump.
    It was after I left the school that I found this out. I wasnt too upset in the end because I built up a Schwinn Homegrown.

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious

Total loss for the week - 8,000 more or less, not including all of the papers, keys, personal items that were in the trunk and glove compartment....
    Is somebody targeting you??
    Or is that part of Oakland really that bad of an area?
    ( I assume this was in Oakland, from looking at your profile, I was curious where you live!! )

I'm sorry for your losses.
    ..Everyone included. It truly is horrible that we are all vicims of such cruel acts.
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

Evil Genius

I keep my bike in my living space ALL the time...

My Trek 9800 went up three flights of stairs with me everyday fro a year, then into my living room for another year. Now I keep it in my house. Same with te Cannondale, Santa Cruz Blur and my Haro 8.2. My spare bedroom has 5 bikes in it. It looks like a transformed bike shop. I keep crap like refrigirators, table saws, weedwackers and radios in the garage. Helps to have a dog too. Luckily, I lock my doors and have never had a bike stolen.

Dan
    I'm as bad as the Worst. But, thank God, I'm also as good as the Best.

Evil Genius

Other than...

attacking somone in my family, the only reason I would actually kill someone is if they stole or tried to steal my bike. I keep a katana under the bed. Used to have a Glock 23, but moving into the city, I had to downgrade....damm liberals.

Dan
    I'm as bad as the Worst. But, thank God, I'm also as good as the Best.

To legit to quit
    Quote Originally Posted by Downhill Dawg
    1) GT RTS 3 - $1k.
    2) Trek Antelope, Rock Shox Quadra, Brahma Bar. $400?
    Both great bikes. Lots of memories.

Both stolen in Fremont, CA, 1996-1997. A fine American city. That may be a stretch. It does offer a BART station and a decent pizza parlor.
    Fremont is not so fine i've had a few come up missing there and fremont PD is a joke. they really could not care less.
    MySpace.com/DansJustChillin
    MySpace.com/DirtyBobbysBikes

Alright, let's ride!
    Not mine but two years ago my brother's Fat Chance Yo Eddy was stolen. It was in a bike shop in Charlotte NC getting a new derailleur put on it when it was stolen. According to the shop someone must have come in the back door, walked past the new epic's and blur's and took his Yo Eddy.

Value - Priceless, anyone that has had one of these bikes will agree. The shop did give him a new Superlight to replace the Yo Eddy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast