Thread: Stem passion

mtbr member

Stem passion

Stem passion...weird subjet ....maybe i should have called it stem addiction or stem fetish!

I don't know about you but for me, when i build a bike, the stem is THE part i like to choose most and at the same time the hardest one to choose.

To me the stem is the "crown on the king", has to flow with the bike and at the same time make a statement. Statement of who you are, the stlyle you ride etc...

When cranks wheels, shifter, brakes all look similar, the stem is the one part on a bike that has so many different shapes that gives caracter to a bike, yet still serve the same basic function.

I never take weight into account when choosing a stem, it based purely on looks,. I mean every stem in each of the mtb categories weight similar and are strong enough to not care much about it, unless you are a weight
    Weenie

I once had a point one racing stem on my canfield bros One ...the stem looked awsome on my ipad but one the bike i didnt like it... I now have a cheap Pro stem on it but i dont really like it either...i actually Been on the search for the perfect stem for that bike since the beggining in 2009 when i bought the frame...now i'm thinking of replacing that bike/frame, yet i still think about finding a good stem for it...

Am I nuts? I dont know...

What about you?
    What stem are you running and why?
    Is there a part that you take more care about?
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You're plain fud up but Kore makes a sick Gucci looking stem for low bucks and strong. Best for the money.

The Fastest of Bananas
    For post 555, FTW. Not bad.

A little WTF though.

I like Thompson stems. I love the machining.

I'm more of an all rounder build obsesser. A bike should look like it came from the factory that way, IE everything should "match" more or less.

Maybe I am metro for thinking that, but a bike should look good, as expensive as they are.

mtbr member
    are you telling me there are companies other than Thomson that make stems?

tg
    mtbr member
    Put a Thomson on your steed and never jones again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Partial to the Easton Haven's, but the Thomson stems are sex. Big fan of their posts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I kinda like stems too. Nice way to accent bike style, and they do make a huge difference with bike handling and feel, so I guess I'm in your camp somewhat too.

I run:
    Thomson on my stumpy evo fsr
    stock Specialized on my Demo
    Mowa on my fatbike (it says "Mars" on it, that's just cool)

honestly though, the part I care most about is the frame

beater

Stem passion

I've had a couple Thomsons. Still have them in my parts bin, and if I ever build a bike that needs a 90mm stem, I'll at least start with one of them. They're quality and look good enough for basic black or chrome, but also kind of generic. I'd rather have a stem that adds some visual interest to the build. For me that's either Chromag or twenty6.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    You're not nuts - until your start preferring time with your stem over time with your woman.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Make sure you get wheels size specific stems. Don't want to make the mistake of getting a 29'er stems for a 26" or 27.5".

Review: Spank Oozy Trail Stem and LTD Handlebar | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    I have a machined Azonic one on my fatty that is pretty cool looking. I don't usually pay much attention to stems honestly but that one was one of the few stems I could find that was super short. I have so much weird crap on that bike though that it fits in really well with the discovery of looking the bike over.
    "Oooo, look at those tires, they're HUGE!"
    "Wow, a Lefty front shock?"
    "How do you like those Jones Loops bars?"
    "That Tioga Spyder saddle looks like it hurts! But I like the matching pedals."

Oddly enough, I have some serious Pedal Passion though. Man, it takes me like FOREVER to pick out the perfect flats for each bike. They have to look unique to the bike it goes on. Regular run of the mill platforms just won't do.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Good that my subject brings some good post....also good to hear that i'm not the only nutcase on this forum...lol

I use to have a 90mm Thomson on the Canfield One at first...i must admit it was looking good...with wider bars i went for a shorter stem but was looking for something different.
    I always likes the boxy look of dh/bmx stem

I have on my blue yelli screamy a spank spike black with blue accents in 50mm lenght...that thing look fantastic on the bike.
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    These Kore Repute Stem > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Stems | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    are way nicer than Thomsons. At a better price. And a bit less likely to ding your knee. The photo makes it look cheezy but stunning in real life.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee View Post
    These Kore Repute Stem > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Stems | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    are way nicer than Thomsons. At a better price. And a bit less likely to ding your knee. The photo makes it look cheezy but stunning in real life.
    Those are appealing, and most likely stronger, due to the forging. A machined part isn't as strong as a forged one. However, the Thomsons are "prettier", if thats your thing

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I love Thomson, however a friend just got a new stem made
    by Loaded and it is beautiful.

mtbr member
    Thomson makes a beautiful stem but the faceplates are known to crack before their time. There is at least one post here that has a significant amount of Thomson owners saying so.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by dickeydoo View Post
    Thomson makes a beautiful stem but the faceplates are known to crack before their time. There is at least one post here that has a significant amount of Thomson owners saying so.
    No one can prove they fail any more than any other stem. The fact that they are the most popular, adds to the frequency of reported failures.

mtbr member
    Ive been eyeballing the Renthal bars and stem for a while now...otherwise its Race Face for me...

Name:  category-duo-500x500.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  98.0 KB

Candlestick Maker
    Ringle Zooka...
    baker

mtbr member
    I love this stem. It'll probably sound like I am laying it on a bit thick, but I think it's a work of art.

I have the 50mm bronze version. Sweet piece of metal.

Gold by imalwaysriding, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dickeydoo View Post
    My Thomson cracked too. I really have an eye for the Kooka stems with the pinch bolt.

Stem passion-kooka-stem-small-.jpgYeah, that face plate cracked too, but was only a two bolt and I put over 13,000 miles on it.

Currently using a Race Face, yet looking for that next stem candy.

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Reposted to main thread.

Kooka!
    Stem passion-kooka-stem-small-.jpg

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Syntace F109...light.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The Thomson face plates crack when used on bars that are undersized in the clamp area due to manufacturing tolerances or improper installation.