mtbr member

Stationary Bikes

Not sure if this is the right board, but I didn't know where else to post it. Long story short, I have a brutal elbow injury that prevents me from mountain biking, so in light of that I've decided to stick with the road/stationary bikes. It's been forever since I rode or even looked at a bike do to my injury. I'm in the market for a nice quality stationary bike to get back into things. Can anyone recommend anything? I've been told to use the gym bikes, but I refuse to step foot into another gym again...that's another story, lol.

Thanks guys!
    Passion Drives Life

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    Question before I give you my $0.02: will riding the stationary be a means to getting you back to riding a regular bicycle be it on or off road?
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    Yes!!! I want to start road riding. My elbow just cant take the abuse of off roading.
    Passion Drives Life

DynoDon
    I got a Reebok spin bike from Craigslist for $300.00 it was used at a ski resort, I put new brakes on it, that and a DVD from Carmichael Training Systems on Mountain Bike training has kept me in shape all winter, I think I've gained power, the trails are not useable yet in Michigan, I can't wait to find out..
    Check C/L for Reebok, Lemond, those are good ones, they list over $1000.00, good luck

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What about a trainer? That will run you a lot less than a good stationary bike.

mtbr member
    ^ Excuse my noobness but what's the difference between a trainer and stationary bike? Just a quick rundown of the differences?
    Passion Drives Life

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A trainer is just a device that essentially converts your existing bike(s) into stationary bikes. I prefer them because I don't have to adjust to a new riding position and there's not a whole new bike taking up room, pissing off the wife, etc. There are advantages to a stationary bike too but it's something else to consider.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/166...ve-Trainer.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeDrinkable
    A trainer is just a device that essentially converts your existing bike(s) into stationary bikes. I prefer them because I don't have to adjust to a new riding position and there's not a whole new bike taking up room, pissing off the wife, etc. There are advantages to a stationary bike too but it's something else to consider.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/166...ve-Trainer.htm
    Plus one on the trainer! Cheap and does it's job, and buy this: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/119...iser-Block.htm

Have fun shopping for a road bike!

Currently in Exile
    I third the trainer. I got a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine for the winter and really "like" it. As much as one can "like" riding indoors and not going anywhere. I highly recomend some videos to help keep the motivation up. I have lots of Spinervals and recently discovered the "Sufferfest". Bonus, Sufferfest videos are availble by download for only $10.00.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

^^^
    that's why I asked if you were planning on riding again. I would vote with a trainer. that way you can ride the bike when the weather is good or ride the trainer when the weather is bad. It is also a cheaper alternative

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that riding your bike on a trainer is actually kinda tough on your bike. You add wear to the entire drivetrain, you drip caustic sweat all over it and you can develop a notch in your headset in no time. If you go the trainer route consider picking up a $50 garage sale bike for trainer use.

Token Hillbilly
    Roller trainer? Why not work on balance/control at the same time?

For the sweat thing, I simply put a towel over the top tube, and dab when necessary.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

AZ
    banned
    Rollers and a good fan.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well you could just ride some paved paths as well...

Anyway to me a there is no such thing as a stationary bike....I can track stand but that really aint' riding.

mtbr member
    I like the idea of a trainer, but I ditched my XC bike 2 years ago because of the elbow thinking I was done riding. I finally got a Dr. who gives a damn and he fired me up about riding again. I'm still waiting for nerve surgery and I'm babying an ankle injury as well. I'm thinking the stationary might work out better for my situation. There are so many I don't know what I'm looking for agh!
    Passion Drives Life

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you're gonna do it don't be cheap. These are great! We sell them at my shop and have only heard good things from the folks that are using them. http://www.cycleops.com/products/ind...&category_id=7 I would go with the 200-400 and ignore the 100. Same platform but some of the features on the higher models will be nice to have.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had a good Cyclops trainer and found it to work as advertised but a few things i didn't care for compared to a quality Spin bike.

1. trainers are noisier

2. Trainers work better with road bikes as mtnbike tires contribute to noise or you have to change the rear tire to a slick.

3. If space is not an issue then a Spin bike is much more convenient.

4. A trainer does add a degree of wear to ones bike.

I've had both and much prefer the Spin bike.
    I can micro adjust everything to feel just like my bike.plus i bought a plush seat for it so the wife can use it and ride in comfort.

I still vote get a bike and a trainer. You'll get dual use out of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    At one point MTBR featured/reviewed a stationary bike that simulates MTB. Could not remember which brand it is though

mtbr member
    I have a CycleOps Fluid 2, I really like it (as far as trainers go). I got it at the REI Garage Sale for $89 (missing packaging and one little plastic piece CycleOps sent me no charge). I use my road bike on it a few times a week during the winter, I just throw on the TV or a movie on my laptop.

If you're looking to get into road biking, a trainer is the way to go since you'll be getting a road bike anyway. When I was looking for trainers, I found them for good prices on craigslist.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses guys! Its been a few days sorry...finals. I also got some other suggestions and I'm kinda leaning more toward the trainer right now. I'm going to post pics of my bike later on today to see what I can do and for more suggestions.
    Passion Drives Life