Az.
    Because, one is never enough.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    BC. Every other place is crap by comparison
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Yes, that's fonetic
    LeeL: "BC. Every other place is crap by comparison"

BC is great and certainly a Mecca but gee Lee, that's kind of an arrogant dickish response.

mtbr member
    Maybe this should be broken up regionally. I think BC sucks because it is too far for me to drive

But in my neck of the woods I vote for Vermont. I have biked in PA, WV, NJ, MA, VT, ME. Some of that was years ago when there were no mountain bike specific trails though.

BTW, ride-able weather is a ridiculous criteria. If you do not ride in the winter because it is too cold then you are a pu$$y

unrooted
    Alot of my favorite trails have several feet of snow for half the year so they are unrideable.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Alot of my favorite trails have several feet of snow for half the year so they are unrideable.
    But that means they're skiable so it all works out.

mtbr member
    I ride all my favorite trails year round. One of my favorite go to trails is 62 miles long one way, is a 15min paved road drive (or 6 mile dirt road/path) to the trail head from my house and I rarely see more that 1 rider on the trail.

To the east 15 min drive (or 30 min trail ride) are another 15 to 40 mile trail system. South 15 min is another 30 mile trail system and 20 min south is short, but fun 15 mile system.

These are the once close to home. Then there are more trails 30-60 min drives that come to a couple hundred miles at least. Then north hour 15 min there is another area with 150 miles of trails perfect for spring, fall or summer, but could be cold in winter (cold for me means sub 40 deg). And hour and half north is are even more and 2hrs north high mtn trails great for the heat of summer.

I live in North Phx.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    LeeL: "BC. Every other place is crap by comparison"

BC is great and certainly a Mecca but gee Lee, that's kind of an arrogant dickish response.
    Designed to provoke responses. Didn't work as it only provoked one response. Its shoulder season

Yes, that's fonetic
    In my case, the problem is you're right. We've got the weather for year round riding but not 1% of the trails in BC.

Dammit.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Oklahoma FTW
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Oklahoma FTW
    OKC? I'm there for Xmas visiting family, anything new worth renting a bike for?

The 5th knuckle
    The one you live in???? If you aren't moving anytime soon the grass can always be greener someplace else. Ride the crap out of what you have and be happy you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    OKC? I'm there for Xmas visiting family, anything new worth renting a bike for?

And then we eat them."

Your Best Friend
    Utah. Easy. High alpine forests to red rock to slick rock. Only IMBA Gold destination (Park City) and a very low population/acreage proportion. Can snow bike in the winter or drive 4 hours and ride single track in St. George and 50 degrees in January. Plus within an 8 hour weekend drive I can be anywhere from the Front Range to Tahoe, Jackson Hole to Phoenix. Nowhere else has this advantage.

Next question?
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Geez. And I thought we just put the other "best place to ride and live" thread from 2007 to bed. Have fun where ever you end up.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    If I could live in one place where I would be most happiest with the trails and riding, It would be Grand Junction, Colorado. Moab is only a couple hours away. Crested Butte was an absolute blast - only 3 hours away. SLC only 4 or so hours away. Front Range 4 - 5 hours away.

That would be my happy place. At least once a year I can get there.

The rest of the 51 weeks I am riding in the Kansas City area and no one would believe there are over 100 miles of singletrack in the KC metropolitan area - new ones being added as I type. The trails are fun and the crew we have is top notch. So KC would be an awesome place to ride.

The KC trails are rideable I would say from March/April to the end of November on a regular basis before the freeze/thaw monster takes hold - and even during those months - can get some rides in as long as the trail is frozen.

And Arkansas is a short 3 hour drive south....
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    If I could live in one place where I would be most happiest with the trails and riding, It would be Grand Junction, Colorado. Moab is only a couple hours away. Crested Butte was an absolute blast - only 3 hours away. SLC only 4 or so hours away. Front Range 4 - 5 hours away.

That would be my happy place. At least once a year I can get there.

The rest of the 51 weeks I am riding in the Kansas City area and no one would believe there are over 100 miles of singletrack in the KC metropolitan area - new ones being added as I type. The trails are fun and the crew we have is top notch. So KC would be an awesome place to ride.

The KC trails are rideable I would say from March/April to the end of November on a regular basis before the freeze/thaw monster takes hold - and even during those months - can get some rides in as long as the trail is frozen.

And Arkansas is a short 3 hour drive south....
    Yep, I was going to say GJ, too. Year round riding and good variety (alpine to desert) within a reasonable distance. And that includes road riding, too, if you're of that persuasion!

So for state, it's CO. For comparison, I've lived and ridden in New England, FL, TX, WA and now CO.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

unrooted
    I've ridden in WA (goldendale & White Salmon) OR (Tillamook Forest, Hood River, Sandy Ridge, Bend, The Dalles), CA (Auburn, China Camp, Truckee, S. Lake Tahoe, Mammoth Mtn & Bishop), NV (Bootleg & Cowboy), UT (St. George/Hurricane, Bryan Head, Park City, Ogden, SLC, & Logan), CO (Fruita, Eagle, Breckenridge, Lyons & Lair'O'Da Bear), AZ (Tuscon), WY (Cody), MT (Bozeman), & HI (Oahu).

So far my most favorite trails are in CA (Tahoe) and CO (Fruita), with a close second for OR (Bend).

I think for me the absolute best state with the most variety is probably UT, but I live in CA and I'm having a good time since I'm in between a lot of great riding, just the drives that suck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Why do these threads always end up reading like a pissing match...

There is no correct answer. Best "Riding?" That is a great question, clearly well though out. There is only one kind of "riding" and thatís the kind I do, thatís why where I live is sooo much better than where you live.

unrooted
    How did you get that there's any pissing match going on?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How did you get that there's any pissing match going on?
    I did not read the whole thread again...but here are a couple quick examples.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    BC. Every other place is crap by comparison
    Pretty much clearly says that BC is great and where I ride is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    Maybe this should be broken up regionally. I think BC sucks because it is too far for me to drive

But in my neck of the woods I vote for Vermont. I have biked in PA, WV, NJ, MA, VT, ME. Some of that was years ago when there were no mountain bike specific trails though.

BTW, ride-able weather is a ridiculous criteria. If you do not ride in the winter because it is too cold then you are a pu$$y

I guess I am a pu$$y.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DHinFool View Post
    Why do these threads always end up reading like a pissing match...

There is no correct answer. Best "Riding?" That is a great question, clearly well though out. There is only one kind of "riding" and thatís the kind I do, thatís why where I live is sooo much better than where you live.
    It becomes a pissing match because people who've barely ridden elsewhere invariably chime in with "I live in OkNebSana and it's the best darn tooting riding anywhere" so the responses become predictably barf-inducing.

Yes - just like the other Best Place to Live and Ride thread that went on for ages

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Lately I prefer Planet Earth. But I am willing to explore other options!

And then we eat them."

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DHinFool View Post
    I did not read the whole thread again...but here are a couple quick examples.

Pretty much clearly says that BC is great and where I ride is crap.
    I didn't "pretty much clearly say that". I said it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast