Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr dismember

Springtime in Cali, pics & video

After a cool and wet winter spring finally arrived in Northern California yesterday. So I headed out to New Melones, near Sonora to enjoy the warm sun, wildflowers and views. The lake was formed by flooding a river in the Sierra foothills so it has backed up into many steep valleys, which makes some very interesting patterns. And for most of the ride you get a great view of the lake and/or many small tributaries. Given the recent heavy rains, the lake is the highest I have ever seen it and there is water nearly everywhere. Below are a few photos. Although this was a solo ride I decided to take the helmet cam and make a video just for the scenery. About 44 meg, 6:15. Right click to download video.

Hillside of poppies

This trail is definitely too wet to ride!

Click the images below to enlarge

Last edited by Wherewolf; 04-20-2006 at 10:17 PM.

Silence! I kill you!
    Beautiful! I really need to get out there and ride sometime. My family used to have a cabin in Twain Harte, so I've been out in that area a few times, but without a bike Your pics make me want to bring the bike next time!
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

mtbr member
    [SIZE="4"]N i i i i i i i i i c e J o b!![/SIZE]

Wow that was a breath of fresh air.

jps

mtbr dismember

You could have been in those pics

You could have been in those pics. Tell me how you like the music choice. I definitely go much slower without someone leading me, and the video isn't quite as nice. We need this warm weather to continue for more seeds to germinate. Still not the best wildflower display. You racing there this Sunday?

mtbr member

Everything is soo green!

WOW thats some amazing looking scenery there. I'veen been past there many times, but have never stopped. This just makes me want to hit up those trails and explore more areas to ride.

Solum Volamus

Makes me homesick...

Man...things are looking great out there. The Korean countryside is starting to turn green again, but nothing like that. I grew up in Tuolumne County and really miss the springtime. Hopefully it is still that beautiful when I get to go home in about a month. I'll definitely be hitting Glory Hole once or twice! Thanks for the great post...

VTT
    mtbr member
    Steve, your pictures are always a treat..

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

excellend

very nice indeed.

Currently in Exile
    That is some pretty country, your lucky to have that in your back yard!

One question though. Early in the video you pass a Y intersection. I have seen it in at least one of your other videos. The left fork goes down, the right one goes up. You always take the left. Where does the right one go?
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    steve, great stuff as always. did you take the 20d for these shots? i'm still hoping to get a ride down there with you at some point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    i really liked your pictures. they totally grasp spring in its best form. time to bust out my dslr.

mtbr dismember

Boring stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    Early in the video you pass a Y intersection. I have seen it in at least one of your other videos. The left fork goes down, the right one goes up. You always take the left. Where does the right one go?
    That is on the west side of Angels Creek Trail. See my map, it's the short red line. The right goes up over the top to a short and fairly boring trail, away from the lake, and you miss that fantastic, nearly three minute downhill I call the roller coaster.

mtbr member
    awesome pics!

mtbr dismember

Just my P&S camera

Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive
    steve, great stuff as always. did you take the 20d for these shots? i'm still hoping to get a ride down there with you at some point.
    Thanks. I just used my cheap P&S Canon S410. Pick a Wednesday afternoon for a ride within the next three weeks because it will be all brown and ugly soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    You could have been in those pics. Tell me how you like the music choice. I definitely go much slower without someone leading me, and the video isn't quite as nice. We need this warm weather to continue for more seeds to germinate. Still not the best wildflower display. You racing there this Sunday?
    Music by The Who goes with anything GOOD. Case in point.

"Its All Good"

Good job!

W Wolf, you are messing with me, that is New Zealand, its making me homesick.

Stunning photos........................ A real treat, in Spain, just do not see that beautiful lush green......................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

MTB B'dos
    Man those are some beautiful images Steve, awesome and thanks for the passion hit. You're a lucky man to have that sort of country so near, hope you stopped and just sat for a few minutes to enjoy all that.

Complete opposite here, but I won't complain as it's finally dry season and the trails are now all rideable, but everything is brown.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nice video and pics. Looks like a beautiful area
    [SIZE="4"]`..><((((>`..`..`...><((((>`..`..`...><((((> `.. `.. [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Looks like the Shire from "Lord of the Rings". Nice vid !!

Its only 1" on the map!
    NICE!! LoSoCal is starting to green up nicely as well. This such a wonderful time of the year to ride.

Totally, and to the max.
    Great video, Steve! I dig the letterbox. I put it at full-screen and went on a virtual ride. I want to get some rides out there soon. Thanks for that...

Be happy......go riding

Canon S410

You did real good on those photos, Werewolf. It's surprising that a the Canon S410 (4 megapixel) can take such nice shots. What's the secret? Does it take good close up shots too?

mtbr dismember

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Trailmix
    It's surprising that a the Canon S410 (4 megapixel) can take such nice shots. What's the secret?
    The person behind the camera

Quote Originally Posted by Trailmix
    Does it take good close up shots too?
    Never tired it, I have a real camera for that.

Be happy......go riding

Canon S410

Hey, I just checked out your Ford Ord pictures. More good stuff. Same camera?

Holy Chromoly!!
    Nice one! Always nice to see some trails from overseas. Tell me, what band is that song you have in this clip?
    No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast