Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Springtime in Cali, pics & video

4K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  Jewell of D(enial) 
#1 · (Edited)
After a cool and wet winter spring finally arrived in Northern California yesterday. So I headed out to New Melones, near Sonora to enjoy the warm sun, wildflowers and views. The lake was formed by flooding a river in the Sierra foothills so it has backed up into many steep valleys, which makes some very interesting patterns. And for most of the ride you get a great view of the lake and/or many small tributaries. Given the recent heavy rains, the lake is the highest I have ever seen it and there is water nearly everywhere. Below are a few photos. Although this was a solo ride I decided to take the helmet cam and make a video just for the scenery. About 44 meg, 6:15. Right click to download video.

Hillside of poppies

This trail is definitely too wet to ride!

Click the images below to enlarge

See less See more
#6 ·
Makes me homesick...

Man...things are looking great out there. The Korean countryside is starting to turn green again, but nothing like that. I grew up in Tuolumne County and really miss the springtime. Hopefully it is still that beautiful when I get to go home in about a month. I'll definitely be hitting Glory Hole once or twice! Thanks for the great post...

#9 ·
That is some pretty country, your lucky to have that in your back yard!

One question though. Early in the video you pass a Y intersection. I have seen it in at least one of your other videos. The left fork goes down, the right one goes up. You always take the left. Where does the right one go?

#12 ·
Boring stuff

Frozenspokes said:
Early in the video you pass a Y intersection. I have seen it in at least one of your other videos. The left fork goes down, the right one goes up. You always take the left. Where does the right one go?
That is on the west side of Angels Creek Trail. See my map, it's the short red line. The right goes up over the top to a short and fairly boring trail, away from the lake, and you miss that fantastic, nearly three minute downhill I call the roller coaster.

#15 ·
Wherewolf said:
You could have been in those pics. Tell me how you like the music choice. I definitely go much slower without someone leading me, and the video isn't quite as nice. We need this warm weather to continue for more seeds to germinate. Still not the best wildflower display. You racing there this Sunday?
Music by The Who goes with anything GOOD. Case in point.

#16 ·
W Wolf, you are messing with me, that is New Zealand, its making me homesick.

Stunning photos........................ A real treat, in Spain, just do not see that beautiful lush green......................

#17 ·
Man those are some beautiful images Steve, awesome and thanks for the passion hit. You're a lucky man to have that sort of country so near, hope you stopped and just sat for a few minutes to enjoy all that.

Complete opposite here, but I won't complain as it's finally dry season and the trails are now all rideable, but everything is brown.

#25 ·
Nice one! Always nice to see some trails from overseas. Tell me, what band is that song you have in this clip?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.