Thread: Spring Rides

mtbr member

Spring Rides

After much needed late season snowfall, the weather turned hot. As the weekend rolled around it was high time to get back to the east mountains. On tap was a sweet ride in the Cedro area. Cedro is a large section of the Cibola National forest littered with miles of trails. A place, if you do not have a guide or keen orienteering skills you might just spend the night.

After days in the upper 70s, the breezy 50F at the trial head felt rather brisk. Once in the trees, the warm sun kept us at the perfect temp to explore the rustic trails. The Juniper was so think that at times we rode with both shoulders pushing thru their branches.

We played on the rocks.

As we rode we gained a little good karma by moving downed branches and turning a once scared section into a rocky playground.

Over the past few winters the ATV set has scared Cedro. Once prime single track was quickly laid to waste. On the ride we found signs of the start of the trails rebirth.

These signs by no means mark the end of saving Cedro. But their a great start. Of course the new signs and regulations on the area do make some user groups mad. (I can no longer say that Iíve never been threatened on a ride now) But the FS seems to be serious about keeping motorized users off the single track. Hopefully the Ranger found the wonderful person on the ATV that was very mad to have someone show him the sign, the roost right on past it. At least we know the FS knows his licsence plate number.

Even this incident could not mare a great first ride in the mountains. The 25 miles were so good for my sole.

Because one ride is never enough, I drove up to Santa Fe for a ride today. I meet up with Jim Beam and Rick at the Dale Ball trail system. Again the trails were in great shape.

Attached Images Attached Images
    b

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

"let me tell you something"

Great ride and pics Brian. I can't get over how fast the season opened in the east mountains!

We're thinking of hitting cochiti soon. keep ya posted.

M

mtbr member

Cochiti. I can't wait.

Me too, I hope this doesn't mean the fire season will start soon as well. =(
    b

I ride with tools

The only good encounter with an automobile...

is when you ride over it, not vice versa! As always, great pics, Brian. I'll be down your way Sunday if you want to lead a ride at Cedro.