dr.harmonica

spring has arrived in Norway

For all you guys in California or Arizona this is no news to you. But for us here in Norway it certainly is a big thing.

Last weekend we went to Fredrikstad, about 90km south of Oslo, to ride som great snow free trails.

Here's some pictures; http://terrengsykkel.no/forum/arena/...b=5&o=0&fpart=
    --
    Oyvind
    terrengsykkel.no

Map Maker

Nice ride...

Quote Originally Posted by oyvind
    For all you guys in California or Arizona this is no news to you. But for us here in Norway it certainly is a big thing.

Last weekend we went to Fredrikstad, about 90km south of Oslo, to ride som great snow free trails.

Here's some pictures; http://terrengsykkel.no/forum/arena/...b=5&o=0&fpart=
    It is neat to see these guys riding around some really cool scenery. I got a kick out of trying to translate the photo captions. Looks like fun.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

Sublime Absurdity
    Cool pics man. So, can you reccomend any XC riding real close to Oslo? I am going there in May to visit my kids (ex wife is Norwegian). Last year I brought my road bike, took the ferry to nessoden and got hit by a truck in the first 2 miles of my ride - broke my wrist and spent 1/2 of my vacation in the hospital

This time, I figured I'd take a mountain bike and not have to worry about crazy drivers, but I haven't been able to find any trail info - any links that you could pass on to me?
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

dr.harmonica
    Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    Cool pics man. So, can you reccomend any XC riding real close to Oslo? I am going there in May to visit my kids (ex wife is Norwegian). Last year I brought my road bike, took the ferry to nessoden and got hit by a truck in the first 2 miles of my ride - broke my wrist and spent 1/2 of my vacation in the hospital
    Here's some high lights from an epic last September. This is what it looks like in Nordmarka, just to the north of Oslo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    Oyvind
    terrengsykkel.no

dr.harmonica
    Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    Why not post the whole link so you can see all the pictures. And I screwed up making them to small on two of the best so......

http://terrengsykkel.no/img.php?d=ma...3-09-29&id=784
    Last edited by oyvind; 03-31-2004 at 12:02 PM.
    --
    Oyvind
    terrengsykkel.no

bob
    mtbr member

"hucking"?

"terrengsykkel.no tar testjobbingen alvorlig, og Trond sjekker hucking-egenskapene til Dawg'en." quote from caption.

Come on, there must be a Norwegian word for "hucking"?

Hοmo Velo

Multiple words/terms exist that can describe the action, but...

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Come on, there must be a Norwegian word for "hucking"?
    ...the English term got established before anyone could agree on what to call it in Norwegian.

For many different terms that were invented in the US, there exists Norwegian words that can be used, but often, no term gets established because there's no critical mass of people who start using it. Also, English allows you to construct cool and elegant word constellations, such as "chain suck", "singletrack", "wheelie drop", "riser bar" where the Norwegian equivalent a) would have to use more words to provide an adequate explanation, or b) doesn't sound cool enough to be adopted.

This does not only apply to bicycling, but most other speciality fields such as finance, computers, etc.

Other imported bike expressions that are used for these exact reasons:

Crown race
    Cleat
    Stem
    North Shore
    If you don't like climbing, then my rides are three times more fun than yours.

mtbr member
    The language may be foreign (to me), but the pics are univeral. They say, "Great time mountain biking on some cool trails with some good friends". And, "Spring is finally here. Whoo Hooo!!" Thanks for sharing.

"Ahh, digg", indeed. (The first response in the original Norwegian thread)