Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Spring Break.....Oregon?

We've been spending most of our travel miles the past couple years going to Utah to see the married kids and, more importantly, the grandkids so keeping with tradition we asked the 14 year-old where he wanted to go for Spring Break and he picked Oregon.

Thinking "Oregon" and "Spring" didn't necessarily go together unless you like cold, wet, rainy weather we tried to talk him into somewhere more southerly, like Moab, or So Cal, but he stuck to his guns. We'd never really been to Oregon and I've seen some great pictures (not to mention trails) on this site in the past showcaseing Oregon's beauty so why not?.

We made a list of some things we wanted to see and do, I spent some time on the interweb and in the Oregon forum, and eventually a plan began to meld.

Here are some images and a few words about our adventure. While not strictly a bike trip we did do a fair amount of biking and the photos will be bike heavy.

After a night in Boise we arrived in Hood River.
    DSC01494

Thanks to some beta from kosmo over on the Oregon board we enjoyed a morning of riding in Post Canyon. Fun stuff.
    DSC01502

SAM_0357

Love signs like this. It's got everything you need right there... and nothing you don't.
    SAM_0356

He was in his grumpy, don't-make-me-climb mood this morning. You gotta go up to come down.
    SAM_0355

SAM_0354

We made it back in time for breakfast overlooking the river.
    SAM_0359

Then did some touring in the Columbia River Gorge
    SAM_0365

SAM_0380

Vista House
    SAM_0395

That night we landed in the outskirts of Portland. Next day we drove over the Coastal Range to Tillamook.... but not before having Mrs. KRob drop us off for a ride along the Wilson River Trail picking us up down road aways.

SAM_0396

This was a great trail with some significant climbing on steep side hills quite aways above the river. Seth fortunately had a much better attitude for climbing this day which was fortunate because there was quite a bit more of it than I expected.

SAM_0397

After a pretty nice descent we crossed some creeks and meadows weaving in and out of some Endor Moon type scenery before starting the final climb.
    SAM_0398

SAM_0399

Seth was strapping his P & S camera to his camelback chest strap to attemp some POV video footage. It stayed in place for about 5 seconds. It's pretty funny.
    SAM_0400

Still going up.... with surprisingly very little coaxing... but with just a few more breaks. Even started to joke about my "almost at the top now" comments.
    SAM_0406

DSC01553

Finally topped out with a pretty good view.
    SAM_0405

The long promised descent did not disappoint. I think I even heard a few "whooots!"
    We thought we were done as we crossed the river near Jones Creek Campground where my wife was already anxiously waiting for us (we were about 2 hours late)..... but the sign on the other side of the bridge informed us that the campground was 1.9miles still. His good attitude started to dissipate very quickly as the trail started climbing again.
    SAM_0408

Good mood restored!
    SAM_0411

Couldn't talk anyone in to riding around Cape Lookout so we hiked around a bit.
    SAM_0412

SAM_0424

My wife loves lighthouses so we stopped at several as we drove down the coast. This one's at Cape Meares
    SAM_0425

Sorry about the lack of bikes in these.... but the Oregon Coast is spectacular. Hard not to share.
    SAM_0427

SAM_0431

The next morning I even got my wife to go riding with me on the Banks to Vernonia Bike Path. Very scenic, converted rail bed. Just what she loves. She even said she'd like to get a new bike and ride some more after we got home!
    SAM_0437

Good thing I've got the Chilcotin for this kind of gnar. I actually like this kind of riding with my wife. It's all about being on two wheels, with someone you love, in beautiful surroundings. What's not to love?
    SAM_0439

Later that day we did the Evergreen Aerospace Museum in McMinnville home of the Spruce Goose. That's a big plane.
    IMG_0212

That night we attended a Blazers game and had Vodoo doughnuts. Win, win, win.
    IMG_0220
    Last edited by KRob; 04-20-2013 at 12:38 AM.

mtbr member
    The rain finally caught up with us on the next day but this was mostly a touring day back over to the coast via Lincoln City, Newport, and Florence then back through Eugene and up the river to our cabin for the next two nights in McKenzie Bridge.

More lighthouses.
    SAM_0452

Mrs. KRob found out this one is also a B&B so I'm sure we'll be coming back to stay. If that means more riding in OR that's OK with me.
    SAM_0454
    More beautiful coastline.
    IMG_0228

Some tide pools
    IMG_0239

IMG_0234

The rain held off long enough the next morning for us to get in a 10-12 mile ride along the McKenzie River Trail. Need to get back and see more of this (and all of Oregon for that matter).
    SAM_0466

SAM_0457

SAM_0461

DSC01590

DSC01593

The family truckster all loaded up and headed home. Yeah, definitely need to get back to Oregon. 8 days, 2300 miles, four great rides, lots of good food, great views, and good times.... and we barely scratched the surface.
    IMG_0242
    Last edited by KRob; 04-22-2013 at 09:25 AM.

ENDO!!!
    Damn, I really miss riding in the PNW!
    Just circles turning circles....

pin it
    "8 days, 2300 miles, four great rides, lots of good food, great views, and good times"... that describes a great ride report. Thanks for sharing!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Sweet! Lots of familiar bits in there - I grew up a few minutes south of Eugene.

Glad you had a good vacation!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice report! Come back soon.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

EMBA Member
    You mention your wife expressing interest in a new bike. Suggest you suddenly realize how perfect your bike would be for her, but that means you'll need to get a new bike for yourself! Don't shake your head like that - It could work!

The McKenzie River Trail pictures bring back memories. I rode it last summer. It was one of the best trails I've ever been on. The Bend area has lots of great riding also.

FKA Malibu412
    Great trip report! I live here and it made me want to get out more! Heceta Lighthouse B&B is pretty cool for a stay so you definitely should make return plans. I'd think a July-August trip with some Central OR, Oakridge, and Mt Hood trails thrown in would give some more of the best we have.

Blazers probably lost, though, so that part is kind of a win-win-sort of win. Can't wait for next season.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

The Kid's Allright!

I seem to recall a few other trip reports on mtbr.com -- the kid is growing up!
    Great family trip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freakybro View Post
    You mention your wife expressing interest in a new bike. Suggest you suddenly realize how perfect your bike would be for her, but that means you'll need to get a new bike for yourself! Don't shake your head like that - It could work!
    Don't think I'm not already scheming on how to work this into a second bike.... you know, for the older boys when they come home and I want to take them riding, etc.

I'm thinking a nice Turner Czar or Knolly Endorphin 650b would be a really good bike for the type of riding she craves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Great trip report! I live here and it made me want to get out more! Heceta Lighthouse B&B is pretty cool for a stay so you definitely should make return plans. I'd think a July-August trip with some Central OR, Oakridge, and Mt Hood trails thrown in would give some more of the best we have.

Blazers probably lost, though, so that part is kind of a win-win-sort of win. Can't wait for next season.
    I was thinking the same thing. It's our 30th wedding anniversary this year and she said that's what she wants to do so I'm practically obligated to take her...... and it is my anniversary too, right?

And, yes, the Blazers lost. But it was still fun to go.
    Last edited by KRob; 04-20-2013 at 11:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    I seem to recall a few other trip reports on mtbr.com -- the kid is growing up!
    Great family trip.
    He is. Thanks. I'll make a mountain biker out of him yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Great write up. Did you ride on the coast anywhere south of the Wilson River Trail?
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Why do all the pictures appear stretched in the vertical dimension when I view them?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Great summary and pics capturing what sounds like a wonderful trip. I miss living in Oregon. Hood River was one of my play grounds. Maybe you can plan a summer trip starting in Hood River and circle the Cascades (Bend, Crater Lake, etc).

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for sharing the pics and ride reports. Love the Oregon coast, one of the most beautiful places i have seen.

That Wilson River trail looks sweet.
    http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd66/CraigCreekRider
    Its Jake - From State Farm. What are you wearing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Great RR! Haven't been to OR in 25 years but you've got me thinking! My annoying little brother just moved to Hood River so maybe we'll go visit him for 1/2 day and then do an mtb tour for a couple weeks! Thanks for the inspiration!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Great write up. Did you ride on the coast anywhere south of the Wilson River Trail?
    We didn't. It was raining the day we drove down the coast so probably just as well.
    Are there some rides on the coast we should add to our agenda for next trip?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty View Post
    Why do all the pictures appear stretched in the vertical dimension when I view them?
    There's a drop down box at the bottom of the page. If it's not already selected, select "wide". If that doesn't fix it I'm not sure what the problem is. Is anyone else seeing them that way?

Actually, I just noticed that my pictures which should be showing at 1024 x 768 pixels are all square (and appear to be stretched vertically) on my home computer. Edit: Everything looks fine on my work computer with 20" screen.

Does MTBR auto fit pictures that are too wide now? Or is that my computer or browser doing that? (Using Google Chrome with a 15" screen at home).
    Last edited by KRob; 04-22-2013 at 09:30 AM.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    ...maybe we'll go visit him for 1/2 day and then do an mtb tour for a couple weeks!
    You have that ratio about right.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Are there some rides on the coast we should add to our agenda for next trip?
    Maybe a little farther north at Fort Stevens. Type of riding your wife would appreciate, I think.

mtbr member
    Absolutely! In fact I was thinking about signing up for a MBO tour for later this summer so I could hit all the good higher stuff around Bend, Oakridge and Mt. Hood that was still snowed in when we were there.

I imagine it would be easy enough to self guide too. There's lots of good trail maps and internet trail resources available for Oregon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    So Glide, you've met my little brother?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    There's a drop down box at the bottom of the page. If it's not already selected, select "wide". If that doesn't fix it I'm not sure what the problem is. Is anyone else seeing them that way?

Actually, I just noticed that my pictures which should be showing at 1024 x 768 pixels are all square (and appear to be stretched vertically) on my home computer. Edit: Everything looks fine on my work computer with 20" screen.

Does MTBR auto fit pictures that are too wide now? Or is that my computer or browser doing that? (Using Google Chrome with a 15" screen at home).
    Thanks man the wide thing fixed it. I did not know about that or why it works that way now. All this new fangled forum stuff...

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    So Glide, you've met my little brother?
    Maybe?? Help me out here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast