mtbr member

Spreadin the Passion through Meetup.com (not a singles group)

Do you want a great way to start a mountainbiking group in your area and promote the sport?

I started back mtb riding last year after being off for over 10 years and having never really done any regular riding. I was surprised how much I liked it this round and I had a couple buddies that I was able to ride with about once a week. They started getting sporatic schedules so we couldn't ride every week. I had been hiking in a meetup.com group (not a singles group, by the way) and thought it might be a great way to post some regular rides and I'd always have someone to ride with. I know many mtb'rs like to ride alone but I like riding with a group for social and for safety reasons... mostly social.

So I started an online group about 5 months ago just looking for a few riding buddies. The group is at 120 members already and we are adding a few every week. I've recruited several of the more experienced riders to become organizers in the group and now we post 3-5 rides a week. Its turned into a lot more than I expected. We are also working with the local mountainbiking association for KY to help with trail work.

I wanted to get the word out about Meetup.com because its a great way to organize ANY kind of group. It shows profiles of all the members so you can see who's coming on the rides as well as a calendar of events and a message board. There's also an "ideas" section where members can post ideas for rides and other members can make comments.

Here's the link for www.meetup.com. Check it out. It costs $144 a year but that's not too bad and once the group gets large enough sponsors will pick up the tab.

Here's the link to my particular mtb group... http://www.meetup.com/Louisville-Mountainbikers/

Here's the calendar of events... http://www.meetup.com/Louisville-Mou...kers/calendar/

bringer of doom
    Meetup.com is pretty good. I'm in a couple groups & they're very active. None of the other groups I'm in charge their members any money though. Not sure what that $ buys your members, but it may be a hurdle to getting your group off the ground if people get the idea you're charging them for the privelidge of going on rides with you. Might want to clarify that.
    Ride on, Anthony.

mtbr member
    I don't charge my members anything. I (or anyone who starts a group) get charged $144 per year by Meetup.com to have the group. They give you three months to try it out and if your group isn't what you hoped you can get a refund. Sorry for the confusion.

since 4/10/2009
    used to be free to start a group there, or so I thought.

only worth that kinda money, IMO, if you live somewhere you're apt to get a crowd to use it. I live in a small town where we'd be lucky to get half a dozen attendees. easier to organize that sort of thing with a Google Group or a Facebook group or something along those lines.

mtbr member
    Louisville is a midsized city of about 700,000. I agree that if you live in a town with less than 100 mountainbikers then Meetup probably isn't worth the $$. You can probably pay for it with sponsorship money if you have 100 or more willing to sign up. I offer it as a service to my local mtb community. I'll pursue sponsors next season.

The Meetup user interface is very well done. There's nothing on Google or Yahoo that compares to the features offered on Meetup. Its a great way to organize any group.

I thought I'd get about 20 people to join. There are 120 already and we just started this spring. I should have made it an "adventure" group to cover mountainbiking, hiking, backpacking, rock climbing and kayaking. The local hiking meetup is up to about 1000 members after just two years.

Members who have read this thread: 0