mtbr member

Which Spare Parts?

OK, I'm going on a bike trip to Mexico and will be riding for a week far from any bike shops. Which spare parts should I bring? I know I could get carried away bring practically a whole spare bike worth of parts, but I'm trying to keep it to things that have a greater likelyhood of breaking. I'll get the bike tuned up and checked out at a shop before I go.

I figure a spare chain, brake pads, and maybe a derailleur hanger. Any other essentials?

Thanks
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

Freshly Fujified

Couple more items

Obviously tubes comes to mind. Perhaps a length of both shifter and brake cable. Other than that I think I'd be getting into the whole "bring a spare bike with you" mode. Just be sure that whatever spare parts you pack, that you have the right tools in your camelback to do the repair trailside. Trust me on this one.......
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    oh, and possibly a bike derailleur, i usually break those before i break the hanger

Spokes (plus nipples), spare tire or two, and a rear derailleur. Perhaps a seat and a binder bolt. For some reason, the part I have broken most often is the seat (bent rails, etc.).

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    OK, I'm going on a bike trip to Mexico and will be riding for a week far from any bike shops. Which spare parts should I bring? I know I could get carried away bring practically a whole spare bike worth of parts, but I'm trying to keep it to things that have a greater likelyhood of breaking. I'll get the bike tuned up and checked out at a shop before I go.

I figure a spare chain, brake pads, and maybe a derailleur hanger. Any other essentials?

Thanks
    Hey Guru, where are you riding? If you're coming to Mexico City maybe you could join us!

mtbr member
    I'm going to Copper Canyon, the same guided trip that a couple of other people on mtbr have done.

They have XT derailleurs online for $39, so I guess that's a reasonable backup. Some of the stuff I can keep in the support van which I can access at the end of each ride-- I wouldn't want to have to carry too much in my camelbak at a time.

I guess I should xerox a few pages out of Zinn's repair manual so I can figure out how to put on a derailleur

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    I'm going to Copper Canyon, the same guided trip that a couple of other people on mtbr have done.

They have XT derailleurs online for $39, so I guess that's a reasonable backup. Some of the stuff I can keep in the support van which I can access at the end of each ride-- I wouldn't want to have to carry too much in my camelbak at a time.

I guess I should xerox a few pages out of Zinn's repair manual so I can figure out how to put on a derailleur
    I hope you have a very nice time! Copper Canyon is a place I would love to ride. Someday I will

Bike to the Bone...
    As to which spare parts, maybe an extra Camelback bladder would help. I don't know if you'll be able to wash it daily, and having two may come in usefull, and maybe having an alternate water bottle.

Bring more than a spare tube and patches.

A multitool, but I think you already have that.

Chain oil.

Now with 3 more inches!
    I was up there a few days ago. No biking though.

You're going to have an amazing time. The weather was really good when I was there.

Will they have some spares in the support van?

I did a 4-day ride in remote parts of Oaxaca this summer, and I'd say spare chain and tubes and patches are the big ones. Oaxaca City has 4 bike shops, but it was hell trying to get hold of presta tubes there (I can't run schraeders on my rims). Spare hanger is a good one too. I knew there was something I needed to pick up in the US at Christmas. Doh!

Not sure about buying a rear mech. A chain tool will get you home singlespeed.

I bought a bunch of spare spokes and nipples before I moved down here. Thankfully, haven't needed them yet.

I always like to travel with duct tape, a couple of bungies and some zip-ties. Good for McGuyvering.

Which outfit are you riding with? I ran into the KamiKiwi guys there. Looked like they were having a blast.

Don't forget to take lots of pictures!

mtbr member
    I'm going with Western Spirit mostly because their trip coincides with when I can get a week off of work. I was inspired by MTBBill's excellent report and video. Jarhead also has a great report on mtbr.

The trip is my 40th birthday present from my wife. No need for a midlife crisis now

Now with 3 more inches!
    Here's how it looked on Thursday:
    Attached Images Attached Images