mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm South West USA Spring Road Trip

Hey all I'm back in the USA for a little bit of MTB'ing -here a few pics and my usual rambling commentary on the trip so far

I landed in Las Vegas on Thursday from England and after unpacking my bike I went and rode the Bears Best Trail system

Great night riding conditions - BBT is a perfect trail system to stretch your legs on after a long flight and make sure your bike is working ok

South West USA Spring Road Trip-r-bearsnight.jpg

South West USA Spring Road Trip-r-bearsnight2.jpg

I rode all the main trails twice and covered 25 miles , had to do it twice as who knows how much longer the trails will still be here, there was marker tape going across the trails in quite a few places now for the development that is going to happen there

THe next day I went and rode the Western Ridge Trail I rode it anticlock wise, the initial climb up is quite a grunt, at the good call trail i rode that out and back before continuing on with the loop. The good call trail was nice and fast going down and quite an easy ride back up. lots of fun downhill on the way back down western ridge

South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1020_1.jpg

South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1026_1.jpg

South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1043_1.jpg

with good call i rode 10.57 miles

Then I headed on up to The cooton Wood Trails and rode another 22 miles up there , love the trails at cotton wood buzzing along at 24 mile an hour on narrow smooth single track is a hoot, managed to find a few new trails to me on my ride loved Daves Pavement.

South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1069_1.jpg

South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1100_1.jpg

Not so sure the new trail signs are a good idea - ok for the main system trails - but the good non system stuff like in the last pic needs to be kept on the downlow to keep the walmart specials from making the trail wide..

And then drove to Kingman that night, In the morning I went and rode the Monolith Valley Trails and Castle rock trails - Great trail system - but it seems as if its hardly used - mine were the only tacks and the single track was so single it as plants growing in it. Had to hustle as I had to get to and airbnb place i'd booked before 5pm, so only got to ride 12 miles of trail

South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1155_2.jpg

South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1165_1.jpg

The drive down to Phoenix was quite scenic i lucked on on driving down on saturday as the road works were not active, as i dropped down into phoenix i noticed the air quality looked a lot better than on other trips not much pollution haze

After getting checked in I drove over to Cave Creek to do the cave creek classic. I started at around 5.30pm - the ride was great I did not see anyone else at all on the trail no horses or people. I managed to get to the top of the big climb before I had to turn my lights on , didnt take too many pictures as there were loads of bugs flying around. It was very green and verdant up at cave creek even had river crossing .

South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1182_1.jpg

South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1204_1.jpg

Ride was 25 miles in total I think riding this trail at dusk / night is the perfect time to do it as there were no horses of people to get in the way , also its pretty wide and smooth on most of the uphills , with some rougher spots when heading down hill

Im going to go hit the K-Trails and Fins today
    My MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

Weapon of Choice
    Looks like you are getting a lot of trail time in fast. Great pics and write up so far!

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    Heres some more pictures from a ride at gold canyon

For my next ride I headed down to the Gold Canyon trails, It was just over an hours drive from where I was staying up at cave creek.

In case any of u are thinking of going to phx to ride, and are wondering where to stay, as the last hotel i had stayed in had been very noisy i decided to give airbnb a shot - and its worked out great for me - I stayed here

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4677475...6-c67475eba55f

I got there just before mid-day and it was starting to fell quite warm, lots of cars in the car park, but I only saw hikers up to the petroglyph turn

The Gold Canyon trails are very scenic , and the singletrack reminds of what the XC trails in Sedona used to be like before the FS took the trails over and the hordes of hikers started to make all the trails really wide, no random fight prints all over the place at gold canyon and no obvious signs of horses churning the dirt up either

South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1214.jpg

I rode along the lost gold mine trail up to the DT trail. With hindsight i wish i hadn't gone down this trail as it had no flow - i guess its a trail for going up rather than up.
    South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1227.jpg

I then rode along outerlimits and up dont fence me in - and decided that would be a good trail to go back down so I rode back down it and it was a fun ride

South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1243.jpg

Then I headed up snowbird which i'm guessing TrailDoc had a hand in making , as it seemed very similar to airie trail - the climb was all rideable and the descent was a hoot

South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1266.jpg

I then rode Secret Loop which was also good fun, then I rode the k-technical loop

South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1273.jpg

I then headed up vortex, and along gila monster

South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1284.jpg

The I headed up diamond back, spotting this critter on the way

South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1288.jpg

and then rode along lost gold mine to the K-Trail - leaving the best to last - lost of brilliant fast ups and down on this section of trail

South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1294.jpg

I then headed along holy hill to car park connector trail, I got back to my car just as the sun started to set, I'd ridden around 24 miles - the riding here is quite a workout. it was much harder than the cave creek classic ride i'd done the night before.
    South West USA Spring Road Trip-img_1313.jpg

mtbr member
    Right on Zinger. Strong work as always. Keep the updates coming

I presume the Cave Creek classic incorporates Spur Cross and Cave Creek Regional Park? The old P@D stuff which is now part of Brown's Ranch is pretty fun if not a bit tame but when I was in Phoenix last week it was one of the few places that had any flowers in bloom.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Good stuff Zinger. I always love your trip reports because you do bike trips like me ( get in as much as you can....two or three rides a day), and in most of the same places.

mtbr member
    +1 Love to see people getting after it! Look forward to seeing the rest of your rides

When are we going to see some Socal reports?

So Stoked!
    Nice vacation! Great pics and looks like you have perfect weather for riding
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Hi It was this loop that i did
    Cave Creek Cactus Classic Race Loop Mountain Bike Trail, Cave Creek, AZ
    There were loads of flowers out (Which i could only appreciate for around 30 minutes before it got dark) and it was all very green, and lots of water in both of the river crossing
    The 2nd river crossing was really cool as there were loads of frogs making a tremendous racket

Rode browns ranch yesterday which also had lots of flowers out - i'll post more on this soon - just about to go out for a night ride , earlier today i rode almost all of the the FINS trails which were great fun.

mtbr member
    one day our paths may cross your place in elko is a bit off the beaten path for my trips though

You got any spare time i'm headed down to tucson for a couple of days, then 3 days in sedona, 2 in Moab, 2 in grand junction and then 2 in St george before i head home from LV

mtbr member
    No Plans on any socal action this year, in september will be doing a trip from seattle to denver, but we wont be dropping down socal way
    Also to be honest for a solo adventure like the one i'm doing there way more easily accessible great riding available in a join the dots fashion here in NV, AZ, CO and UT than down in socal - with more reliable weather at this time of year

anyway the night beckons me off to mix with the coyotes and cougars now

Tigers love pepper...
    We have the new Sarlacc trail in Fruita Zinger but it's under seasonal closure until May 1st I believe. I still haven't even ridden it. Have you ridden Palisade Rim here yet?

Lots of new stuff in the last couple years in Moab too. Finally getting around to riding some of it this spring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Love your trip reports! Keep them coming.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Have you seen any mountain lions; if so best to outrun em, if they attack. There may be someone here much more expert about dealing with them than me. As to rattlesnakes, I have had plenty of experience with them. If the snake wants to stay in the brush, let it stay there!

Glad you had such a good visit to the States.

Weakened Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ConchoBill View Post
    Have you seen any mountain lions; if so best to outrun em, if they attack.
    Not a good idea. First, you are not likely to outrun a mountain lion. Second, running may trigger their instinct to chase their prey.

Yell, throw rocks, make yourself look big, convince the lion your friend is an easier target.

mtbr member
    Knowing how well prepped Zinger is for his backcountry jaunts I'm sure he has a mtn lion contingency plan in place. He's been stalked before and always carries a pint of Ben and Jerry's as a surrogate for cat nip to slow the bigger cats down.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zinger-uk View Post
    one day our paths may cross your place in elko is a bit off the beaten path for my trips though

You got any spare time i'm headed down to tucson for a couple of days, then 3 days in sedona, 2 in Moab, 2 in grand junction and then 2 in St george before i head home from LV
    Ely, actually, and it's even more off the beaten path. :0) Yeah, no plans for any of those locals in the next couple of weeks, but it would be cool to ride with you sometime. Maybe next year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great stuff as always Zinger. I look forward to trip reports every year. Rock on!