Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I love Pisgah

Some pics from todays ride here in Ga..again

Finally! No rain for a couple days. Bout time too. Just some pics to give you snow bound guys/gals hope...eh? Mansell road..um..I mean Big Creek just above Atlanta. Only place dry enough at the moment. Yes I've posted some from here before. So what.

Some Ga singletrack is all...

One of the climbs I use for interval action. Over and over and..

Some UST 1.95 Serac action just for the heck of it. Not a bad mixed conditions tire. Small volumn tho. Weight is around 640gms. Rolls decent.

Cassy the crazy Aussie cow dog. this is a trail dog, if anything. Shes come far since I brought her home after her eyes had been open only a few days.

Last July...

More fast singletrack.

What were you doing around 2pm today? Heheheh..
    This old Moab is fun to ride. Of course the only thing original is the FD. Hell, its even got a pretty red alum bolt(said the hopeless WW).

Some of our infamous Ga red clay. If its saterated, you can forget it.

Ok, thats it.

Duckman

Young, Shawn Young

Thanks for the pics

Any pictures of trails is appreciated. Some days thats all it takes to motivate myself to get out and ride or make plans to do so. I doubt I'll ever move back east to enjoy some of the trails there so pictures are the next best thing.

Shawn
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yup. Great legs...

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Finally! No rain for a couple days. Bout time too. Just some pics to give you snow bound guys/gals hope...eh? Mansell road..um..I mean Big Creek just above Atlanta. Only place dry enough at the moment. Yes I've posted some from here before. So what.

Some Ga singletrack is all...

One of the climbs I use for interval action. Over and over and..

Some UST 1.95 Serac action just for the heck of it. Not a bad mixed conditions tire. Small volumn tho. Weight is around 640gms. Rolls decent.

Cassy the crazy Aussie cow dog. this is a trail dog, if anything. Shes come far since I brought her home after her eyes had been open only a few days.

Last July...

More fast singletrack.

What were you doing around 2pm today? Heheheh..
    This old Moab is fun to ride. Of course the only thing original is the FD. Hell, its even got a pretty red alum bolt(said the hopeless WW).

Some of our infamous Ga red clay. If its saterated, you can forget it.

Ok, thats it.

Duckman

fine pics too. Thanks. Kind of cold up here. 6 degrees yesterday a.m. and about 17 this a.m. Wished I could have joined you. Haven't ridden since November.

Have fun. Great looking doggie.

I love Pisgah

Forgot a few pics...heheheh

Ok, so I'm stupid too.
    Fly around this blind off camber curve and...

...turn the corner, and whooooosh down this. Hard right at the end.

Some off camber root action. This always gets the rookies.

Some real live green stuff. Yes indeedy. Easy on the eyes it seems. At least to me it is. Cassy enjoying her chance to just be a dog for awhile.

duck
    Last edited by Duckman; 02-18-2004 at 04:05 PM.

Trail rider and racer
    Nice pictures Duckman as usual.

Your cool Aussie dog looks to be having a fine time on the trails. They make for great companions on those solo rides when everyone else is away in the office, and the trails are nice and uncluttered with just rider and his dog.

Trevor!

Kearsarge crawler

And here is our double track...

We get six months...maybe. Can't wait.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by minkhiller; 02-18-2004 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    Nice pics, Duck!

just last week, I found some more Georgia clay inbedded in my head set. That clay sure was interesting to ride on. Thank you for sharing those pics.

And as for what I was doing at 2pm (PST) today, I was out on a 2+ mile jog during my lunch ;-)
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

I love Pisgah

My God man. I see some fresh snowshoe prints

Thats more snow then Atlanta's seen in years.

But...

Me breaking trail in the Indian Peaks Wilderness Co.late Spring of 02. You Co people remember it, since it was THE biggest snow you had since it was a dry-ish winter up till then. It rained the entire time down in Boulder and Denver...not up here tho. Neeep. We had ice axes, 10 pt crampons, and snowshoes tho. Even some of us Ga boys can know winter.

Been there done that.

I love Pisgah

I dunno why, but the system cuts off 2-3 pics

so heres the rest..dammit.

The trailhead out the window as we arrived...well, thats not right...we had to go past this gate for 3.5 miles to the real trailhead. Headed in from here for 6 days up high and above treeline.

Me screwing around. Apache Peak center right. I'm standing at about 12,400' here, and climbing.

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Duckman; 02-18-2004 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Stupid me?

Kearsarge crawler

It's not too bad...

We can't ***** (oops) complain much in NH this year. I think it will be an earlier trail riding season than last year, it snowed Oct-Apr last year. Nice pics, thanks.
    Last edited by minkhiller; 02-18-2004 at 04:33 PM. Reason: *****

I love Pisgah

Ok Fred, your gumming up the forum

Edit time man. Think..edit. The pics are double posting with your..um...cooooold reply. 6* eh? BRRRRRR! and the humanity even. Been watching the NE getting some serious cold temps for sure, for what seemed like forever.

Jet
    mtbr member
    i still need/want to get that fork from you Duckman.

I should have the cash next weekend.

hopefully it won't rain this weekend so I can get out and ride. I heeard there is a teeter-totter out there now

here's me on the log ride showing off-

I love Pisgah

You mean this fork?

Took this pic just now...just to taunt "you". Feel honored? heheheh Gotta find fun where you can..eh?
    Its set at 4.6" right now. Thats 115mm for you metric types.

Hey, cool pic. Thats the stuff that I get hurt on. Always has been. My back still hurts from flipping the HT over on that hard pea gravel stuff at Soap creek while showing off last summer....

mtbr member

New question here. Question

I was thinking of coming to ride Big Creek until I saw it was about 1.5 miles is this true or have they added more? I really need something close to my work and this fits it. I just don't want to ride a short loop unless I have to.

Adam

I love Pisgah

Naw man, theres waaaaaaay more then that there

They JUST opened up a 1.5 mile beginner-ish loop(altho it in itself ain't bad)..yes. BUT, theres at least 5-6 more miles of random outlaw trails that have been there for years and years. Most of the pics you see above are those, not the new 1.5ml loop. The loops nothing sorta, cause even tho its bi-directional(like Blankets), once you leave the trailhead, the other trails crisscross it zillions of times. Lots of fun stuff there. bigass nortshore stuff with 55gal drums used for filler making jumps, like 8-12 in a row stuff. 4-5 good steep climbs, altho they are relatively short, like 50-150yds at a time. Its ALL singletrack too. Go man go. Good for about 2hrs of screwing around.

This climb is mofo for instance. This isn't the hard part. About 50yds up is tho. Red clay with bigass root action. Usually go up the other side and down this.

lots of random stuff like this. Fun place to play.

Last edited by Duckman; 02-18-2004 at 06:25 PM.

Kearsarge crawler

Driving me crazy!

You guys with these nice pictures and talking about riding your single track this time of year is driving me crazy...don't you know that us Red Sox fans in NH have had a tough enough week already :-)

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Nice stuff Duckman. Where is Apache Peak?

I love Pisgah

LOL! um...sorry man. I...I...

...wasn't thinking.

Um...now wheres those crappy pics...

Kearsarge crawler

Crappy pictures?

Heres one. My dog has no class.
    Last edited by minkhiller; 02-18-2004 at 06:41 PM. Reason: No g

I love Pisgah

Right smack dab in the middle of the Continl. Divide

Thats Isabel Glacier just to the right on its right shoulder. Indian Peaks Wilderness is due west(<-edit) from Boulder(if I remember right..I wasn't driving man). Its 13k+. We summitted Arapahoe(sp)Peak that day at 13,000'. Our camp was at 11,500. That was like 9am, as each day by noon we were tent bound and 10-12 t-storms rolled thru. At 500' above treeline, this can be..concerning. Ha!

Hiking up to make camp. Thats me up front...about to fall thru a frick'n shallow(thankfully)hot-rock crevase. Had to drop my pack and hand it off, while hang'n with the ol ice axe abit. We call'm that cause under the 10-20' snow pack, big car/house size boulders collect solar warmth and melt bigass voids just under the surface, lots of times. Can be dangerous for sure. Thats Arapahoe peak in the center.

Camp at 11,500'. We all carry our own shelters. Thats my Intregal Designs singlewall in the center. Randys Black Diamond BetaMid on the right(I have one of those as well), and Brians GoLite Hex on the right. During one of the many whiteout storms, with badass snowthunder all day. Yes indeedy. Waynes Bibler Eldorado was where this pic was taken from.

Standing on the Continental Divide(note wooden sign). Wind was blowing 30-40mph, and it was a bit nippy..eh? Man I love adventure.

As we climbed the Peak and looked back at my buds. Man, one has no idea how the altitude kills your strength and stamina until your there. Note waaay off in the distance, you can see the faint snow covered trail. We glissaded down some crazy stuff as the storms moved in. You use your ice axe for control. Right up until I put the spike into and thru my shell pants...twice. LOL!! Thats was a few days later tho. Long story.

Looking off the otherside of the C-Divide. Its a vertical 1/2 mile or so, about 2 yrds past me. Yes indeedy. I remember the wind was flowing like a river here. I'm having to hold my hood for the pic. "hurry!"..

On top of the world. Summit of Arapahoe Peak. Note Apache in the distance. Thats me getting my pic action. Dark eh? Those clouds were hallingass. We didn't make it down before the snow and lightening hit again. Fun stuff tho.

The trailhead at the start of our trip near the that gate pic'd above...do we look stressed? It snowed like mofo this entire day after this pic. We were in heaven.

Last edited by Duckman; 02-18-2004 at 07:05 PM.

Kearsarge crawler

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Thats Isabel Glacier just to the right on its right shoulder. Indian Peaks Wilderness is due west(<-edit) from Boulder(if I remember right..I wasn't driving man). Its 13k+. We summitted Arapahoe(sp)Peak that day at 13,000'. Our camp was at 11,500. That was like 9am, as each day by noon we were tent bound and 10-12 t-storms rolled thru. At 500' above treeline, this can be..concerning. Ha!

Hiking up to make camp. Thats me up front...about to fall thru a frick'n shallow(thankfully)hot-rock crevase. Had to drop my pack and hand it off, while hang'n with the ol ice axe abit. We call'm that cause under the 10-20' snow pack, big car/house size boulders collect solar warmth and melt bigass voids just under the surface, lots of times. Can be dangerous for sure. Thats Arapahoe peak in the center.

Camp at 11,500'. We all carry our own shelters. Thats my Intregal Designs singlewall in the center. Randys Black Diamond BetaMid on the right(I have one of those as well), and Brians GoLite Hex on the right. During one of the many whiteout storms, with badass snowthunder all day. Yes indeedy. Waynes Bibler Eldorado was where this pic was taken from.

Standing on the Continental Divide(note wooden sign). Wind was blowing 30-40mph, and it was a bit nippy..eh? Man I love adventure.

As we climbed the Peak and looked back at my buds. Man, one has no idea how the altitude kills your strength and stamina until your there. Note waaay off in the distance, you can see the faint snow covered trail. We glissaded down some crazy stuff as the storms moved in. You use your ice axe for control. Right up until I put the spike into and thru my shell pants...twice. LOL!! Thats was a few days later tho. Long story.

Looking off the otherside of the C-Divide. Its a vertical 1/2 mile or so, about 2 yrds past me. Yes indeedy. I remember the wind was flowing like a river here. I'm having to hold my hood for the pic. "hurry!"..

On top of the world. Summit of Arapahoe Peak. Note Apache in the distance. Thats me getting my pic action. Dark eh? Those clouds were hallingass. We didn't make it down before the snow and lightening hit again. Fun stuff tho.

The trailhead at the start of our trip near the that gate pic'd above...do we look stressed? It snowed like mofo this entire day after this pic. We were in heaven.

More great pics, I lived in Durango for 2 years and it's hard to explain the beauty to people back east, ya gotta see it for yourself. Great trip!

I love Pisgah
    Thanks.

Your right. I love the austerity of it all up high above treeline. Your on barrowed time while up there. Plain and simple. "the mountain doesn't care"..as the saying goes. I "thought" I was in good shape then, that is until I tookup mtn biking racing. Back a few years before the trip above, I did 220 miles of the AT trail thru N Ga and the Smokies. Did'm over 1 week trips, sometimes solo. Covering 13-15 miles a day(altho a good thru hiker can do 20-25 per day after they toughen up), you get lost in your thoughts. Nice only having to worry about the 3 base elements for such long stretches...food, water, shelter. No emails..no voice mails...no spreadsheets and power words..

Also done some fun packing in the Sierra Nevada. Now those are my fav. mtns of all time.

I'll only post one pic I'm so bad sometimes. This one was from 2001. Just 11 days before 911 to be exact.

12,975' at Glen Pass during the Rae Lakes Loop. 50 miles including a side trip to Charlotte Lake over 5 nights. Almost the same crew, short for one dude. I'm lower right. The tallest mtn in the lower states is just too our right.

|i|
    "Some of our infamous Ga red clay. If its saterated, you can forget it. "

No joke -- I tried riding in it a couple of days ago like a dumbass, b/c I couldn't wait for it to dry. What a friggin mess. It's like riding through wet plaster and is impossible to clean.

I can't wait for this stupid rain to be over with.

I love Pisgah
    thanks for the laugh. Thats a cool pic. The snow, the bike, and of course our friend trying to have a moment. I had to save that one.

Jet
    mtbr member
    cool Fork looks great. It'll look alot better on the front of my bike. I may actually be able to climb hills then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast