Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Some one call 911

I had an odd day riding today, that had me thinking what i should take with me on the trails. So I finaly got out with my new clipless pedals on the trail (never used them before) and i was time trialing myself on a known distance to see how much of a difference they would make. Near the end I see a random bike on the trail that i dont think much about because of my time trial and then i see it, a woman was stumbling up the hill covered in blood. I jump off my bike and start to help her. I soon find out she went over the bars when avoiding a squirrel with the front brake( for all you people reading, this is a bad idea). I see she has a phone and call 911. Now how to tell the paramedics how to get to you? So i make her comfortable and wash her blood with water(do the best with i have) i say i need to leave her to meet the paramedics. That did not go over well. But she soon understood and let me go to the meeting point of the EMS. When the paramedics arrive they look at my muddy self and say, shes were? So i say that i am going back to her and you guys just go down the trail and meet us. When i get back to the lady she could not be happier to see me. So the paramedics do there thing and she gets rushed to the hospital for a broken arm, some broken fingers and a serious case of road rash on her face.

As this all happened near the end of my 50km time trial ride i was really pushing myself to do all the needed things to help the lady. I believe the training i got in first aid and training to be a lifeguard had made myself calm enough to help the lady and not panic. The cardio from biking to help keep me pushing on in this situation was also a plus.

Moral of the story, know first aid, dont use your front brake to stop , and carry a cellphone. And understand that a calm Tuesday ride can end in world of pain.

Keep riding and hope lady you get better soon as i never got your name.

Old Man
    Good job.
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." - Mark Twain
    Site

mtbr member
    Great job, it is nice to see there is still some people who will help others when needed.

Mountain Man Dan
    So how did the clipless work?

mtbr member
    i fell once on my driveway but other then that i beat my time by about 15-20 minutes. And my right foot cramp by the toes, i guess thats because im not used to the pull, which i used as much as i could

i took out the time i was helping the lady from my bike PC :P

mtbr member
    First Responder Qualified (at least in the state of MD).... Check
    Carry Cell phone.....Check
    Don't use front brake to stop...Check

Am I forgetting anything else?
    A father carries pictures where his money used to be. ~Author Unknown

gravity fighter
    I had a similar situation happen a few weeks ago with a hiker that slipped and hurt his leg pretty bad. Luckily he had his cell phone so I could call 911 and meet the first responders at the bottom of the hill (I left my phone at home). I hate carrying my nice phone in my pack, but this was a good reminder that a little extra weight can be worth it.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Something similar happened to me a few weeks back. Going for a quick ride before school, I turn the corner on the path (road bike/ multi-use path), and there's a truck on its side on the path, it had apparently hucked it off the highway above and tumbled down the embankment, finally landing on the path. The driver was fine, but it's still an experience to finally use that first-responder/emergency training from Boy Scouts. I'm an Eagle Scout now, got to tell my scoutmaster that I'd finally used the training from all those merit badges.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OnaMTBtrailisME
    Don't use front brake to stop...Check

Errr - what do YOU use the front brake for then?
    Personally, I use it to stop all the time
    You could save some weight if you took it off cause you dont use it

Tossin the salad.
    Should have ran over the darn Squirrel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgre_6163
    i would call the front brake a slow down brake, but not to jammed to stop(as you can with a back brake). And I use both so no weight saving for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Shifter
    Should have ran over the darn Squirrel.

Yep, if it's me or the squirrel, sorry squirrel.

chaloopy, Glad you were able to assist her. Getting hurt on the trails can be pretty scary, shes lucky you were out there!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Good job, but don't be scared of your front brake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgre_6163
    Come on boss, I am was being sarcastic regard the front brake. I use my front brake to slow down if need be. Maybe I am doing it wrong, but I use by back brake to stop. As far as the other two, I was not being sarcastic

Bro Mountainbiker
    Moral of the story is bring your phone!
    It can be the difference of life and death. Say your bleeding out and dont have 2 hours to walk out of the trail.

Never used to think this way until i had my nasty spill 5.5 weeks ago. Could have been horrible if i diddnt have my phone.

Anyway, Thanks a lot for helping. More people need to feel an initiative to give a hand in this world. (not a political statement)

Sheepo
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Picture Unrelated
    Maybe I am doing it wrong, but I use by back brake to stop. As far as the other two, I was not being sarcastic
    Yep, you're doing it wrong. Both brakes in most every situation is how you should be stopping. The woman went over the bars because she was panicked by trying to avoid the squirrel not because she used her front brake. Most of your braking power comes from your front brake as your weight shifts forward during stopping, the rear wheel looses a bit of weight distribution and therefore traction so it isn't as useful during braking. Notice on many bikes the front disc size is larger than the rear, it's because of that weight shift. Using one or the other brake is more of a technique in advanced terrain; you might lay off the front brake while descending some really chunky ledges so that the wheel keeps tracking and there are plenty of other situations that would lead you to wanting to use just one brake but just stopping or slowing are not one of those situations.

Use just the rear brake and you'll skid out of control, tear up the trails, not actually stop that quickly, and look like the complete hack you are.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Yep, you're doing it wrong. Both brakes in most every situation is how you should be stopping. The woman went over the bars because she was panicked by trying to avoid the squirrel not because she used her front brake. Most of your braking power comes from your front brake as your weight shifts forward during stopping, the rear wheel looses a bit of weight distribution and therefore traction so it isn't as useful during braking. Notice on many bikes the front disc size is larger than the rear, it's because of that weight shift. Using one or the other brake is more of a technique in advanced terrain; you might lay off the front brake while descending some really chunky ledges so that the wheel keeps tracking and there are plenty of other situations that would lead you to wanting to use just one brake but just stopping or slowing are not one of those situations.

Use just the rear brake and you'll skid out of control, tear up the trails, not actually stop that quickly, and look like the complete hack you are.
    Thanks for the info Mr. Zebrahum. Tell you what, I will stop trying to be a "complete hack" . I am all about constructive criticism but the name calling

Picture Unrelated
    Thanks for the info Mr. Zebrahum. Tell you what, I will stop trying to be a "complete hack" . I am all about constructive criticism but the name calling
    Wasn't personal, take it easy on the trails.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Learn first aid, CPR

Another good lesson- we as MTB'ers who may be a LONG way from help should learn first aid and CPR (Wilderness First Responder would probably be ideal training). While climbing, I witnessed a nearby climber take a fall that resulted in head trauma and a broken neck. There were a number of EMT and Wilderness First Responder types nearby, and he was receiving CPR within 1 minute and continuously for the next 2 hrs or so until he was taken to the nearest Trauma center. Without those first responders giving him treatment so quickly and effectively, he would certainly have died (I don't know how he's currently doing, only that he's alive but paralyzed).

mtbr member
    I carry a cell phone too but no reception on a lot of the trails. Has anyone looked into a satellite phone? Can you buy one without any kind of subscription plan but still be able to call 911 with it? They are also a bit pricey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ........what about her bike?

you stole it didnt you

( i really mean ) haha
    i used to be a hot tar roofer, ya i remember that......day.

Old Man
    Quote Originally Posted by rossluzz
    I carry a cell phone too but no reception on a lot of the trails. Has anyone looked into a satellite phone? Can you buy one without any kind of subscription plan but still be able to call 911 with it? They are also a bit pricey.
    There are satellite emergency beacons that you can buy which would probably be cheaper and easier than a satellite phone set-up.

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/be...cylocator.html

http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/D...:referralID=NA
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." - Mark Twain
    Site

ENDO!!!
    First Responder Qualified (at least in the state of MD).... Check

So what happens if you come across someone in an accident outside of MD? LOL
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wahunterinrok
    So what happens if you come across someone in an accident outside of MD? LOL

put em on your shoulders and carry them to the MD border
    i used to be a hot tar roofer, ya i remember that......day.

mtbr member
    Good on the OP for helping out.
    Bad advice on not using the front brake to stop.

The front brake is where all your braking power comes from. Just like a car the brakes are on our bikes not us. In a car we have seat belts to keep us attached to the seat and from going forward. On our bikes our legs and arms are our seat belts and we need to use them to keep from going forward and over the bars. If your cruising down hill and are sitting on your seat and grab a fist full of front brake you're probably going OTB. If your standing and in proper descending body position; squat slightly lower & back, drop your heels some, and brace yourself with mostly your legs and some arms, you can grab all the front brake you need or want. The other thing I've seen is people unclip before they come to a complete stop and can no longer keep themselves from going forward and OTB in slow motion..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast