I love Pisgah

Some N Ga snow pics, altho abit OT

Ok, so I'm not riding this time. Some nice Ga mtn pics tho. Haven't been packing in 6 months, and yesterday I saw all this snow coming, sooo..... Felt good to be out. After all, we're all just getting out for some adventure, eh? The back door cold front coming down the Aps, and the gulf moisture coming up to met it...so I thru my gear together yesterday and drove the 2 hrs north to an off trail campsite at 4330' that I'm fond of. The winds really blowing, its like 6pm and getting dark, and its already sleeting being just below freezing. Gotta go gotta go! Only car at the TH.

The roadrace here in N Ga called "6 Gaps" goes thru here...look familiar?

Gotta climb 1100' vertical in 1.7 miles. Cassy running up and down the trail and wondering why her daddys going so da@n slow this time.

Just in time for the sun to go down. Off trail about .3 miles on at this little ledge of a campsite. Note Blood mtn in the distance. highest point of the Appalachain trail thru the 80 miles of N Ga at 4440'. My shelter will go here. Nearby Slaughter mtn, Slaughter Gap, and Blood...were all named from an epic indian battle here a few 100yrs ago between the Cherokee and the Creek for control of the surrounding watersheds. The Creek lost. The summit of Blood mtn is a laberith of huge rocks, and they say the nearby watershed ran red with blood for days after from all the carnage. Bet it was hell of a battle in reality.

Inside as I listen to the sleet turn to snow. Reading some bathroom reading material(Ha!!)as I enjoy a cup of coffee sent to me from a good friend in San Bernadino in Ca. Ti skillet, pot, spoon, cup. Somethings never change.

The next morning..um...I mean, THIS morning, as a matter of fact.

Hang'n out after breaking camp. See Blood mtn? Oh well. Winds still roaring all the while.

As I hike off trail. Note the pine neetles blowing in the wind. Just a snow pic is all I guess.

Cassy at the same time trying to cut down the local rodent pop. She loves the woods. What dog doesn't now that I think about it.

Theres no trail up to the campsite. What I just camp down where it meets up with the trail again. Gotta be careful since I'm solo and off trail ta boot.

The "trail", such as it is..as I hike down it this morn.

This was from my window driving off the mtns. Love the mtns so.

Sure missed my bikes tho.

Duckout

Kearsarge crawler
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Ok, so I'm not riding this time. Some nice Ga mtn pics tho. Haven't been packing in 6 months, and yesterday I saw all this snow coming, sooo..... Felt good to be out. After all, we're all just getting out for some adventure, eh? The back door cold front coming down the Aps, and the gulf moisture coming up to met it...so I thru my gear together yesterday and drove the 2 hrs north to an off trail campsite at 4330' that I'm fond of. The winds really blowing, its like 6pm and getting dark, and its already sleeting being just below freezing. Gotta go gotta go! Only car at the TH.

The roadrace here in N Ga called "6 Gaps" goes thru here...look familiar?

Gotta climb 1100' vertical in 1.7 miles. Cassy running up and down the trail and wondering why her daddys going so da@n slow this time.

Just in time for the sun to go down. Off trail about .3 miles on at this little ledge of a campsite. Note Blood mtn in the distance. highest point of the Appalachain trail thru the 80 miles of N Ga at 4440'. My shelter will go here. Nearby Slaughter mtn, Slaughter Gap, and Blood...were all named from an epic indian battle here a few 100yrs ago between the Cherokee and the Creek for control of the surrounding watersheds. The Creek lost. The summit of Blood mtn is a laberith of huge rocks, and they say the nearby watershed ran red with blood for days after from all the carnage. Bet it was hell of a battle in reality.

Inside as I listen to the sleet turn to snow. Reading some bathroom reading material(Ha!!)as I enjoy a cup of coffee sent to me from a good friend in San Bernadino in Ca. Ti skillet, pot, spoon, cup. Somethings never change.

The next morning..um...I mean, THIS morning, as a matter of fact.

Hang'n out after breaking camp. See Blood mtn? Oh well. Winds still roaring all the while.

As I hike off trail. Note the pine neetles blowing in the wind. Just a snow pic is all I guess.

Cassy at the same time trying to cut down the local rodent pop. She loves the woods. What dog doesn't now that I think about it.

Theres no trail up to the campsite. What I just camp down where it meets up with the trail again. Gotta be careful since I'm solo and off trail ta boot.

The "trail", such as it is..as I hike down it this morn.

This was from my window driving off the mtns. Love the mtns so.

Sure missed my bikes tho.

Duckout

Sorry Duckman, can't resist, I went riding today.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

I love Pisgah
    LOL!!....and da@n!

Saw that good weather up yonder way. Good for you. "Ya'll"...have had your share of cold and snow for sure. Need to spread it around more.

Duck

TR
    Angry bunny
    Wow Duck, that looks like awesome fun.
    Last time I went snow camping was up on the Baw Baw plateau in what we call the High Country in Victoria Australia .............you know the Man from Snowy River and all that stuff??? No?? Oh well, anyway............Froze my @ss off those couple of nights and woke one morning to find that some of the local wildlife thought that it was cold too and had decided that they would chew through the tent walls so that they could come in and snuggle up to me for some warmth.
    Good fun anyway despite the cold.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

Hey I hear that's open to bikes now.

Just kidding but that would be sweet if they did.

Do you ever combine the two passions?I want to get out and do a little backpacking but I am more of a fair weather hiker and usually I would rather ride.
    The places you can see on foot are much more amazing.
    Thanks for the post.
    I've been inside too long.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Ahh yes. Was it really this week that I rode the Ag Center Saturday and Sunday plus Blankets on Monday? IN SHORTS ??????????????????

Oh well, at least I got to throw snowballs at my kids. That'll put just as big a smile on my face as riding with much less effort
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

I love Pisgah
    Yes, I think about it alot. Tried to do a 3 day ride across a large section of Pisgah last summer, but was plagued with endless rain, and cut it short turning it into a reg camp/ride trip at Davidson River campground. Not much fun when your using a striped down load to begin with. Hard to ride with much weight up high, and don't wanna use panniers. Have a light summer system thats 12lbs(2400" ci size pack) with food and fuel for a few days, and tend to lean towards it. Western Mtneering 16oz Highlite bag(good to freezing), carbon poled Sierra Designs one man tent under 2lbs, 3/4 Ultralite Thermarest pad, Power Giga stove, etc etc. As you said, I tend to want to ride when its nice. Hence this trip I guess. Yes, you see some really cool stuff on foot. Thats a shame IMHO.

Heres some b4 snow pics, as well as a couple others. I kept visializing riding a bike thru each section. This trail is steeper then hell, even for a hiker in some sections. Coosa Backcountry trail to be exact. None it many times over the years.

I think this was THE only switchback for the entire trail.

A sorta narrow ridgeline as I climbed.

Looking up from the trail again. We have rocks, yes indeedy.

Slaughter Gap. The most heavily camped gap in the state. The AT was just moved away from it to give it some relief.

Thought this one was interesting....not near any trail, as this is at the top the mtn I camped on. hmmm....

avg. joe

Another GA snow pic

with my two riding partners (to keep the post cycling related).

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Yes, I think about it alot. Tried to do a 3 day ride across a large section of Pisgah last summer, but was plagued with endless rain, and cut it short turning it into a reg camp/ride trip at Davidson River campground. Not much fun when your using a striped down load to begin with. Hard to ride with much weight up high, and don't wanna use panniers. Have a light summer system thats 12lbs(2400" ci size pack) with food and fuel for a few days, and tend to lean towards it. Western Mtneering 16oz Highlite bag(good to freezing), carbon poled Sierra Designs one man tent under 2lbs, 3/4 Ultralite Thermarest pad, Power Giga stove, etc etc. As you said, I tend to want to ride when its nice. Hence this trip I guess. Yes, you see some really cool stuff on foot. Thats a shame IMHO.

Heres some b4 snow pics, as well as a couple others. I kept visializing riding a bike thru each section. This trail is steeper then hell, even for a hiker in some sections. Coosa Backcountry trail to be exact. None it many times over the years.
    Hey Duck, Are you still coming out to DuPont tomorrow, we called this morning and they say it will be good by tomorrow morning.

Tucker