Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Great pictures! I might have to plan a trip to CO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    You know your Front Range trails....started from Waterton. A nice warm up before a large chunk of climbing in a short distance.
    I never thought of that route. So you made it a loop and rode on the road back to your car from Roxborough to Waterton? What's the total mileage for that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I never thought of that route. So you made it a loop and rode on the road back to your car from Roxborough to Waterton? What's the total mileage for that?
    Did an out and back on Waterton canyon road.....

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Did an out and back on Waterton canyon road.....

Great trails! I've never done that full loop, mostly cause 32 miles is friggen long for a fat slow guy...but I've done all those pieces on other rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mabrodis View Post
    Great trails! I've never done that full loop, mostly cause 32 miles is friggen long for a fat slow guy...but I've done all those pieces on other rides.
    Yeah I'm not studly enough for that route. The first 15 miles is pretty much a non-stop climb

But I'm thinking that there are some shorter loops to be had if you connect from Roxborough to Waterton by road, which is about 5 miles, and then you wouldn't have to climb back up to Indian Creek.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    I presently love my local rooty rocky chunk, but...

Have days where I really, really miss that supah' fast hauling ass baby butt smoothness.

Sigh.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Yeah I'm not studly enough for that route. The first 15 miles is pretty much a non-stop climb

But I'm thinking that there are some shorter loops to be had if you connect from Roxborough to Waterton by road, which is about 5 miles, and then you wouldn't have to climb back up to Indian Creek.
    The normal Indian Creek loop is a bit shorter (Waterton to Indian Creek campground, up the single track to the junction point then left there to stay on the dirt road which wanders back to Waterton, about 27 miles total) but then you miss out on the sweet twisty downhill part of Ringtail, which, in my completely biased opinion is one of the best downhills around here. I'd say it's almost as good as the Steamboat Stinger backside descent, which is just stupid fun.

Edit: I've only ridden Ringtail starting from the Indian Creek campground, which makes for a nice ~16 mile loop, with more than enough climbing to crush most casual riders.

mtbr member
    The normal Indian Creek loop is a bit shorter (Waterton to Indian Creek campground, up the single track to the junction point then left there to stay on the dirt road which wanders back to Waterton, about 27 miles total) but then you miss out on the sweet twisty downhill part of Ringtail, which, in my completely biased opinion is one of the best downhills around here. I'd say it's almost as good as the Steamboat Stinger backside descent, which is just stupid fun.

Edit: I've only ridden Ringtail starting from the Indian Creek campground, which makes for a nice ~16 mile loop, with more than enough climbing to crush most casual riders.
    My normal route is the loop starting and ending at the campground, eliminating 12 miles of Waterton dirt road.

Ringtail isn't bad as an out and back from the campground.

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    ...eliminating 12 miles of Waterton dirt road.
    Sure, but then where will you practice the dodging kids and families that wander aimlessly around the road totally oblivious to the fact that bikers are coming through at 20+ mph...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That looks wonderful

mtbr member
    My normal route is the loop starting and ending at the campground, eliminating 12 miles of Waterton dirt road.

Ringtail isn't bad as an out and back from the campground.
    Yeah I don't mind the road warm up it goes fast and is quite scenic. Plus coming from Golden driving all the way around to the Indian Creek campground adds a good amount of car time that I end up spending riding the dirt road instead.

Clueless Bastard
    I rode in that area (stayed @ the park) for the first time a month ago. It was horrible, and boring and crowded and dusty and the sun was hot and I saw a huge rattlesnake, and, and, and, I can't wait to go back.

mtbr member
    I've never seen it crowded on the loop. The campground and parking lot get pretty full, and there are a lot of horse riders that use the trail, but once you get out there, people are spread out and usually just occasional sitings.

In fact, sometimes I wish there were more people. That is the only place I've run across a bear and 2 mountain lions.* Despite being one of the closer trails to civilization, it is the one trail that I always get the feeling that something is watching me. Probably because something is watching me! I'm usually alone, trudging up those hills, and thinking that I could be eaten and no one would even hear me screaming!

*Not on the same day. That would be a bad day.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good plan.....come in mid September and you could do something like:

Buffalo Creek > Breckenridge > Vail/Eagle > Grand Junction/Fruita > Moab
    Sounds good, I'd better start training now though, 4000'+ of elevation gain is huge, we just don't have hills that big here!

One more question before I'm completely sold; how is CO for microbreweries/craft beer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Sounds good, I'd better start training now though, 4000'+ of elevation gain is huge, we just don't have hills that big here!

One more question before I'm completely sold; how is CO for microbreweries/craft beer?
    Ah yeah......Number of Colorado breweries soars past 200 after huge 2013

Now older but less slow!

Some Boring Front Range CO Trails

I'll add one from Saturday morning. You can tell its rocky and boringly straight........ NOT!

Some Boring Front Range CO Trails-imageuploadedbytapatalk1403620272.257754.jpg

As you can see Reboot at West Magnolia is overly crowded so you wouldn't want to ride here.
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 07-02-2014 at 03:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Possible threadjack ahead!:

I'm new to Denver--could you guys suggest a really easy trail to get my feet wet on?

Hopefully: close to Denver, mellow, scenic. I'm still getting used to the altitude (and to being a non-smoker).

Thanks in advance!

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoto Fan View Post
    Possible threadjack ahead!:

I'm new to Denver--could you guys suggest a really easy trail to get my feet wet on?

Hopefully: close to Denver, mellow, scenic. I'm still getting used to the altitude (and to being a non-smoker).

Thanks in advance!
    Everyone's definition of 'easy' is biased, but really easy could be a mostly flat dirt road..i.e. Waterton Canyon in Littleton. If you ride to the end of it then single track starts and it becomes less easy but more fun...and from there you can go nuts with other trails.

The Ridgeline trail in Castle Rock, or the Elk Meadows trail in Evergreen are nice easy (i.e. nothing technical) fun trails. Probably many others nearby that I just don't know about.

More technical trails are like Mt Falcon, Lair of the Bear...

mtbr member
    Everyone's definition of 'easy' is biased, but really easy could be a mostly flat dirt road..i.e. Waterton Canyon in Littleton. If you ride to the end of it then single track starts and it becomes less easy but more fun...and from there you can go nuts with other trails.

The Ridgeline trail in Castle Rock, or the Elk Meadows trail in Evergreen are nice easy (i.e. nothing technical) fun trails. Probably many others nearby that I just don't know about.

More technical trails are like Mt Falcon, Lair of the Bear...
    Thanks for the tips!

You're right about differing opinions on level of difficulty--I should have stated that rolling single track would be my first choice for an easy trail.

Thanks again, I look forward to exploring your suggestions!

mtbr member
    Agree wtih Ridgeline. There is also Rhyolite park in Castle Rock, Hidden Mesa in Parker, and South Valley Park in Littleton. A lot of trails called easy around here, would not be called easy in other places, but the ones I listed are not in the mountains so are a good starting point. They still have some climbing and some fun so they aren't baby trails either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Try the east-west trail in highlands ranch.

http://www.douglas.co.us/dcoutdoors/...on-and-map.pdf

Welcome to Colorado.

mtbr member
    A few boring pics at ~11k feet from the Western Slope

mtbr member
    so lame here

and I think this post ride Dales was 3 weeks old, so barely drinkable

mtbr member
    I've never seen it crowded on the loop. The campground and parking lot get pretty full, and there are a lot of horse riders that use the trail, but once you get out there, people are spread out and usually just occasional sitings.

In fact, sometimes I wish there were more people. That is the only place I've run across a bear and 2 mountain lions.* Despite being one of the closer trails to civilization, it is the one trail that I always get the feeling that something is watching me. Probably because something is watching me! I'm usually alone, trudging up those hills, and thinking that I could be eaten and no one would even hear me screaming!
    One of the things I like best about that loop is that you are not far from the metro area but it feels like the backcountry. And the Ringtail descent IS fantastic, like mountain biking in a dream. All ferny and stuff...
    The only way I've ever ridden it is from Waterton Canyon. One of the only rides on the Front Range that has a warm up before the first big climb. And you usually see the Bighorns along the canyon road, which makes the ride more interesting. They let you get pretty close.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    I did a lot of work on that trail in a former life. Thanks for posting. Great to see it again!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast