mtbr member

New question here. Solving the world's problems

So, i'm in college and writing a persuasive essay about how we could solve many of the worlds problems (economic, social, and health related) by simply cycling more. I was hoping to get some input from some people who are equally stoked on the sport as I am. Any thoughts, links, ideas, questions, or comments are more than appreciated.
    Req. Disclaimer: I sell Giant, Trek, and Electra bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    The no-brainer store called, they want their question back.

Stucco Bucket
    hippy

Gabe.....
    It's good for you! Body and soul, riding a bike keeps us young.........ish.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I love cycling more than the next guy but reality is cycling isn't going to make the world a safer and more peaceful place. The worlds problems come from greed, money, power, and evil.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here's an idea to solve the world's problems: get rid of the human race.

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    misanthropes are boring.
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fixedforbroke
    So, i'm in college and writing a persuasive essay about how we could solve many of the worlds problems (economic, social, and health related) by simply cycling more. I was hoping to get some input from some people who are equally stoked on the sport as I am. Any thoughts, links, ideas, questions, or comments are more than appreciated.
    Define simply cycling more. Riding more for fun or transportation? Solving transportation issues with cycling will certainly have a very positive impact.

- factotum -
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider
    The worlds problems come from greed, money, power, and evil.
    When singlespeeding for a long time on a flat terrain you learn not to be greedy anymore, because you won't get there faster anyways. I thing gear shifting just compensates that. So maybe we should lose that first.

mtbr member
    If all the world was high on endorphins:

Tea Party haters and Ivy League elites would have a love in
    North Korea would apologize for it's ridiculous behavior
    Terrorists would stop murdering innocents in the name God
    Americans would stop worshiping greed, avarice and oil
    The world's dictators would jump off cliffs to atone for their sins
    Israel would share with the Palestinians and the Arabs would accept Israel.
    Justice and decency would prevail everywhere
    and finally....Hikers, bikers and horses would all get along.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    [QUOTE=Lawson RaiderThe worlds problems come from greed, money, power, and evil.[/QUOTE]

Greed- I see no problem with greed, in and of itself. It's when greed is coupled with a lack of integrity or ethics that causes problems. Working hard to get want you want isn't a problem. The willingness to do ANYTHING to get it is the problem.

Money- Money isn't a problem. I don't want to carry around cows to swap for other goods that I need. Money solves that problem. Once again, the people that are willing to do anything to get their hands on cash is the problem. Ethics, morals, and integrity are in short supply.

Power- Since the beginning of time, there has been power. The idea that power in and of itself is what is wrong is stupid. Many have used their power justly and efficiently. Others have used their power only to strengthen their hold on more power. Corrupt people, not corrupt power.

Evil- Well, yeah. I guess evil is, uh, bad. But I'd argue that my "bad" and your "bad" are probably different. And certainly Hugo Chavez's "bad" is going to be very different from my "bad". Evil is pretty subjective. Many Muslim's might consider the the Twin Towers destruction a "good" thing. So, if two people disagree on whether something is "good" or "bad", does it make that thing "good" or "bad" because I don't think something can be inherently "good" and "bad".

mtbr member
    The odds of you riding a bike off a cliff are negligible. Meanwhile, the owner of the Segway company just drove his segway off a cliff: http://boston.barstoolsports.com/ran...y-off-a-cliff/

Moral of the story: Bikes good. Segway's bad. I'd give you an a+ on that paper.

Des(s)ert Rat

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

- factotum -
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air
    If all the world was high on endorphins:

Tea Party haters and Ivy League elites would have a love in
    North Korea would apologize for it's ridiculous behavior
    Terrorists would stop murdering innocents in the name God
    Americans would stop worshiping greed, avarice and oil
    The world's dictators would jump off cliffs to atone for their sins
    Israel would share with the Palestinians and the Arabs would accept Israel.
    Justice and decency would prevail everywhere
    Doesn't sound too impossible. Just the hikers, bikers, and horses thing gets me thinking.

How much further ???
    I say eliminate about 30% of the global human population starting with the sick and weak. Its what nature does.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I love cycling more than the next guy but reality is cycling isn't going to make the world a safer and more peaceful place. The worlds problems come from greed, money, power, and evil.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hannes Schneider, an Austrian World War I vet of the Dolomite avalanche artillary battles, undoubtedly had in mind when he declared, "If everyone skied, there would be no more war."
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by panhndl
    Many Muslim's might consider the the Twin Towers destruction a "good" thing
    Excuse me? Many muslims?
    It's a tiny part of the muslim population which is why they are called extremists. Please don't generalize the whole population of Muslims as a bunch of terrorists.

mtbr member
    Evil- Many Muslim's might consider the the Twin Towers destruction a "good" thing. So, if two people disagree on whether something is "good" or "bad", does it make that thing "good" or "bad" because I don't think something can be inherently "good" and "bad".
    Hmm I think that's dodgy ground - Lumping 'muslims' together and suggesting they might approve of 9/11 is inherently stereotypical.Only a very small group of people who do not read the Qu'ron (... Don't know how to spell that...) in the same way that Muslims do.

Anyway, my recent post on mountainbikewriter.blogspot.com talks about the virtues of mountain biking. Might be of interest to you.

local trails rider
    The British Cycling Plus magazine had just an article about getting donatad bikes to developing countries. They looked at a charity that was sending overhauled bikes to schools in Africa. The kids would then drastically cut the time they needed to get to school, improving their motivation and ability to learn.

That article is not online but here's an older story:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...rd-world-16989

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    http://www.annarbor.com/entertainmen...ey-at-the-ark/
    this guy gets it. i heard he has atour going right now and his drummer is pulling his stuff. yikes
    count your blessings

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1

we're on it.
    the time is right for violent revolution

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh Bear
    When singlespeeding for a long time on a flat terrain you learn not to be greedy anymore, because you won't get there faster anyways. I thing gear shifting just compensates that. So maybe we should lose that first.
    When singlespeeding for a long time on flat terrain, you become BORED AS CRAP.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aaxuB1jIOYk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aaxuB1jIOYk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    And certainly Hugo Chavez's "bad" is going to be very different from my "bad".
    Chavez' bad is worse than you will ever know. I lived in Venezuela for years, about 5 blocks from the capitol when the riots started happening. The stories I can tell of that man and the atrocities he does on a daily basis that we never hear of here in the USA... He is pure evil. Ask any of the poor citizens in Petare, Caracas.

Evil is pretty subjective. ... I don't think something can be inherently "good" and "bad".
    I don't mean any animosity to you, so please don't take it personally, but I can't stand this excuse. This type of cancerous reasoning is what degrades society from the inside. Real life isn't the Matrix, where everything is permitted and perception is the only dictator of conscience. You may see this as me imposing my ideas on others, and that's your prerogative. I guess I am to an extent. I just believe that each of us has a fairly good moral compass inside us to begin with, and we can choose to obey it, or to ignore it until it no longer works. And when it no longer works, it seems to me that people will make up whatever reasons they can to remove the guilt of wrongdoing by saying things like that. I know that sounds like an attack on you, but it isn't meant personally. Sorry if it pisses you off.

Sorry all, rant over.

On to the OP's topic:
    I think people just going out and getting some exercise would do wonders for the world. It won't fix it, mind you, but it would help. I love the way I feel after a hard ride. The endorphins, the feeling of accomplishment, the tough looking pedal-meet-shin scars. And maybe we'd avoid a bit of heart disease brought on by obesity and unhealthy lifestyles. Lots of medical benefit to be sure
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Omaha Clyde
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos
    When singlespeeding for a long time on flat terrain, you become BORED AS CRAP.

but how bored can crap become?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hazdxb
    Excuse me? Many muslims?
    It's a tiny part of the muslim population which is why they are called extremists. Please don't generalize the whole population of Muslims as a bunch of terrorists.
    I didn't lump all Muslims together. I said "Some Muslims might..." not All Muslims do...big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bluechair84
    Hmm I think that's dodgy ground - Lumping 'muslims' together and suggesting they might approve of 9/11 is inherently stereotypical.Only a very small group of people who do not read the Qu'ron (... Don't know how to spell that...) in the same way that Muslims do.

Anyway, my recent post on mountainbikewriter.blogspot.com talks about the virtues of mountain biking. Might be of interest to you.
    This proves my point. "Evil" is subjective. Some believe one way, while others believe differently. The only one that is "right" is the one that believes the same as you.

Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos
    Chavez' bad is worse than you will ever know. I lived in Venezuela for years, about 5 blocks from the capitol when the riots started happening. The stories I can tell of that man and the atrocities he does on a daily basis that we never hear of here in the USA... He is pure evil. Ask any of the poor citizens in Petare, Caracas.

I don't mean any animosity to you, so please don't take it personally, but I can't stand this excuse. This type of cancerous reasoning is what degrades society from the inside. Real life isn't the Matrix, where everything is permitted and perception is the only dictator of conscience. You may see this as me imposing my ideas on others, and that's your prerogative. I guess I am to an extent. I just believe that each of us has a fairly good moral compass inside us to begin with, and we can choose to obey it, or to ignore it until it no longer works. And when it no longer works, it seems to me that people will make up whatever reasons they can to remove the guilt of wrongdoing by saying things like that. I know that sounds like an attack on you, but it isn't meant personally. Sorry if it pisses you off.

Sorry all, rant over.

On to the OP's topic:
    I think people just going out and getting some exercise would do wonders for the world. It won't fix it, mind you, but it would help. I love the way I feel after a hard ride. The endorphins, the feeling of accomplishment, the tough looking pedal-meet-shin scars. And maybe we'd avoid a bit of heart disease brought on by obesity and unhealthy lifestyles. Lots of medical benefit to be sure
    /rant on

I have no doubt that Chavez is worse than I think. It also wouldn't surprise me if he thinks what he is doing what is absolutely needed and is absolutely in the best interests of his country.

In ancient Greece, older men were allowed and expected to take a young boy as a lover. Our current society would most likely consider any adult male that had sex with a young boy to be "evil". The Greek didn't believe so and are considered by many to have produced some of the greatest thinkers and philosophizers the world has ever known during this period in their history. I imagine that being chosen to be Plato's lover as a young boy would be a great honor. Now they'd throw him in prison for many decades.

That is an outlandish example of how two sets of people can see the exact same thing in massively different ways.

The OP asked about solving the worlds problems and biking. To tell him to get rid of evil doesn't help him. To tell him to get rid of money doesn't help him. To tell him to get rid of greed doesn't help him. Give him something he can use, not useless drivel about abstract concepts that are different to every person.

Talk about exercise, health, global warming, carbon emissions, mental well being, etc. Talk about science and how scientifically people that regularly exercise cost less to society than smokers.

/rant off

local trails rider
    Talk about exercise, health, global warming, carbon emissions, mental well being, etc. Talk about science and how scientifically people that regularly exercise cost less to society than smokers.
    Talk about transportation: low cost, low maintenance, little need for expensive infrastructure.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1
    I say eliminate about 30% of the global human population starting with the sick and weak. Its what nature does.
    Looks like Dr Steven Hawkin would get it then

I would have that 30% be the scroungers, chavs, refusers, half-glass-empty lot that undermine the hard work that tax payers do.

I think that a regime is what keeps people on the straight and narrow, with achievable goals at the end. Cycling can meet these because a good training regime is needed to keep fit, the social side makes sure that people who come from degenerative backgrounds get to spend time with 'role-models', and completing arduous events is a terrific feeling that can make people feel good about themselves.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    When a thread begins with "So,......" you can be certain it will end up in the crapper almost immediately.
    R

VENI VEDI BIKI
    No offense man, but that is kind of a crappy topic. Much too broad and it indeed does sound hippyish. I would just focus on one aspect....health or transportation. I am sure you can find some good statistics and studies about the decrease in pollution and transportation costs in countries where cycling is more prevailant. Same for health. I am sure there are plenty of studies on the health benefits of cycling.

If your thesis is "cycling will solve the world's problems" you will sound like some beauty pageant queen or dumb musician saying we can save the world by only using one sheet of toliet paper.

Terrain Sculptor
    I didn't lump all Muslims together. I said "Some Muslims might..." not All Muslims do...big difference.
    OK this is too funny! If you're going to quote yourself, get it right.

You said "Many Muslims might"

Terrain Sculptor
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1
    Actually each species on the planet has it's own advantage in the "survival of the fittest" theory. With many animals it's the strongest or the fastest.

Humans are weak and slow but fortunately for them they are smart. That's their advantage. So according to the theory of the survival of the fittest, the stupid people should die out, thus increasing the intelligence of the species as a whole.

There is one minor glitch though. Along with intelligence, humans have compassion. Not many other species have that. People feel sorry for other people who are too stupid to look after themselves and they keep saving idiots from their own stupidity.

Stupid people are able to breed and procreate when they should actually be dead, and they tend to do it more than smart people. So not only is the world way overpopulated (I'd say 70% rather than Douger's 30%), but it's overpopulated with stupid people.

It would take generations but to solve the world's problems, next time you see someone doing something that's likely to get them killed, let them.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    You should look at what Henry David Thoreau had to say about walking and the benefits of living an existential lifestyle. I remember reading Walden and enjoying his reasoning for walking and not owning a horse or riding the train. Basically saying the work it took to buy a ride would be offset by the time it took to walk the distance, plus you get to experience the distance and 'stop and smell the roses' so to speak. How much 'life' is spent paying for gas and making a car payment would be better spent riding a bike and enjoying nature and being a part of your community...

Example ---> (Henry David Thoreau on walking)
    My vicinity affords many good walks; and though for so many years I have walked almost every day, and sometimes for several days together, I have not yet exhausted them. An absolutely new prospect is a great happiness, and I can still get this any afternoon. Two or three hours’ walking will carry me to as strange a country as I expect ever to see. A single farmhouse which I had not seen before is sometimes as good as the dominions of the King of Dahomey. There is in fact a sort of harmony discoverable between the capabilities of the landscape within a circle of ten miles’ radius, or the limits of an afternoon walk, and the threescore years and ten of human life. It will never become quite familiar to you.

Don't believe the hype...

Quote Originally Posted by the-one1
    Genesis 9:7 -->

And you, be you fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein.

God has a plan for everyone... 6,872,000,000 unique souls....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The big difference is that you used the word "many" not "some" so don't try to blatantly ignore what you wrote and try to justify it in any way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The big difference is that you used the word "many" not "some" so don't try to blatantly ignore what you wrote and try to justify it in any way.
    Yes I misquoted myself. No, I didn't try to lump all Muslims together.

Quit being a whiny crybaby. I'm sure the Muslim population can take care of itself.

pitbull592
    Won't matter after 12/21/12
    Fortune favors the bold-Alexander the great

mtbr member
    "Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gahndi

A nice extension of the Golden Rule I think. I've definitely had thoughts like, "if everyone would ride instead of drive we could solve problem X". But rather than focus on what you'd like other people to do, just do it yourself. Passion is contagious, an active lifestyle puts a smile on your face, and smiles are contagious too. The best encouragement to ride is seeing others doing it, losing weight, getting healthy, saving money and having a great time in the process. Kind of sells itself I think.
    "Got everything you need?"

bringer of doom
    The world has no problems. People have problems, but people are not the world.
    ...anyway when you do solve their problems
    they just make new ones for you anyway.

To ride the bike is to flip the world of people the bird by living well in spite of them.
    Ride on, Anthony.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    An "alternative" viewpoint...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw

bringer of doom
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpride
    Gods not the only one with a plan for all those people.

As big a number as 7bn seems, all it takes is one person deciding to release an airborne human sterilization virus to allow life on earth to find balance again.
    Last edited by p.doering; 10-01-2010 at 04:42 PM.
    Ride on, Anthony.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quit being a whiny crybaby.
    What are you 7 years old?....anywayz im done with this

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint

Love this--thanks for posting it!

I think doing the thing you love is bound to make the world better.
    Unless you love doing really mean things.
    Ok . never mind.

Don't believe the hype

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull592
    Won't matter after 12/21/12
    Hmmm. By your logic when the calendar on my wall ends in 2011 the world might end too. Or maybe the time when my old watch wouldn't go past 2009 and I was afraid the apocalypse was close at hand . Nothing is infinate, even the Mayan calander. Besides, I wouldn't but too much stock in folks who would rip a sacrifical heart out of a victim so the Sun would rise the next day...

Hope not...

Quote Originally Posted by p.doering
    Gods not the only one with a plan for all those people.

As big a number as 7bn seems, all it takes is one person deciding to release an airborne human sterilization virus to allow life on earth to find balance again.
    Woah... Pretty insane thinking, feel free to begin with yourself though. Where I'm at is... if everyone of those individual unique souls were cooperating together in a positive, constructive way, real things can change and happen for the least among us. I once heard we can grow the worlds food in the space the size of Rhode island,,,, But farmers are paid not to grow crops because of price controls...There is a lot of land from Sea to shining Sea, get out of the city and see. Ever fly in a plane? Doesn't look over populated to me.... More people would move to the country if there was more oppotunity in the heartland.... Dig a well, plant a garden, give the ends to your friends...

Spooooon!
    Whoa . . . this thread has taken a turn . . . so, what's the thesis?

Hail Satin!
    Ummm. I think we just proved, well beyond the shadow of a doubt that cycling can't fix the worlds problems. I mean look at how we treat each other when we are discussing our preferences in our little biking world. Imagine if we had access to to nuclear bombs. There'd be mass destruction on an unimaginable scale. The all-mountain riders would be nuking the 29ers. The 29ers would be nuking the commuters. EVERYBODY would nuke the weight Weenies (OK that I would look forward to) You should write an essay on how pezz dispensers can fix the worlds problems. I mean have you ever seen a person with a pezz dispenser that isn't smiling?
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chewymilk99
    Imagine if we had access to to nuclear bombs.
    Nuclear pissing match.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air
    Welcome to San Luis Obispo, CA!
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

banned
    Excuse me? Many muslims?
    Would you describe 65,146,263 plus or minus 58,832,521 as many or tiny?

As far as riding a bicycle curing the economic problems, I doubt that is going to happen. I personally believe for a start the following needs to be done:

Cut the Federal budget across the board 10%;
    Cut all discretionary spending;
    Don't allow anymore earmarks;
    Make social security needs based (no one making more than $100,000 taxable income gets social security retirement);
    Make Medicare needs based (anyone making more than $100,000 taxable income needs to pay $500 per month for their Medicare coverage;
    Keep the income tax rates the same as now for everyone making less than $1,000,000 a year. Those making more than $1,000,000 should have a 2% increase in the rate that they are currently paying this year;
    Change the death tax percentage for those leaving more than $10,000,000 to their heirs back to the year 2000 level;
    Eliminate the current Health Care Reform bill passed by the House and Senate and adopt a new plan that would make all US Citizens elligible for Medicare Coverage in five year increments over a thirteen year period starting with citizens age 60 to 64 this year;

Let me know how else I can help you with your paper.

TD

mtbr member
    Genesis 9:7 -->

And you, be you fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein.

Ummmm, no.

mtbr member
    This quickly became a name calling **** storm. I'm sorry if i came off as a "stupid hippy" but what ever... Thanks guys for the helpful information and no thanks to the name calling. I understand that we cannot completely fix everything that's wrong with the world by just cycling because it took much more than not cycling to get us here but, i think we can make major issues better by cycling more.

Nuf Said.
    Req. Disclaimer: I sell Giant, Trek, and Electra bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    The no-brainer store called, they want their question back.

bringer of doom
    Woah... Pretty insane thinking, feel free to begin with yourself though...
    Nice. Do you find you usually make friends by insulting people who discuss things you don't like or seem to know anything about?

Truth of the matter is, it doesn't matter what you or I or any of the other 7bn people have to say about bioethics or human free will or any of our lofty self-aggrandizing philosophies. As it turns out, man does not have dominion over everything, and bronze-age gods are no longer needed to end life as we know it. We can do the job ourselves, and for fairly cheap. In fact, it gets cheaper and cheaper all the time, much of our fabulous way of life relies on running headlong in that direction.

But try not to give anything too much thought. Just look out your plane window, see space between buildings, and assume resources are infinite, and as long as your upper middle class american life is fine and dandy, everyone elses must be too, and will continue to be, forever and ever, amen.
    Ride on, Anthony.

mtbr member
    In an effort to direct a response to the OP:

Try this: Pedaling Revolution: How Cyclists Are Changing American Cities by Jeff Mapes

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    This quickly became a name calling **** storm. I'm sorry if i came off as a "stupid hippy" but what ever... Thanks guys for the helpful information and no thanks to the name calling. I understand that we cannot completely fix everything that's wrong with the world by just cycling because it took much more than not cycling to get us here but, i think we can make major issues better by cycling more.

Nuf Said.
    Ironic, huh? We all cycle.....are we're just as messed up as the rest of the world.

I think this thread just debunked your paper......

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    One Could argue that if Americans cycled more they'd use less petroleum which would be a very positive thing. Pretty much the very expensive military that the US of A pays for's biggest job is not protecting the country but protecting the flow of oil. Junkies will do pretty much anything to keep their jones fed.

The country would also be healthier which would also be a very positive thing considering the increasing obesity rate with all it's associated health risks that are also, very expensive to deal with.

Less air pollution is also a nice side benefit that shouldn't be discounted.

I don't know if cycling can be a panacea for the worlds ills, but it wouldn't hurt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The worlds problems come from greed, money, power, and evil.
    Not sure about greed and evil, but last night I spent two hours without power, having no money available either...........and didn't like it.

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    One Could argue that if Americans cycled more they'd use less petroleum which would be a very positive thing. Pretty much the very expensive military that the US of A pays for's biggest job is not protecting the country but protecting the flow of oil. Junkies will do pretty much anything to keep their jones fed.

The country would also be healthier which would also be a very positive thing considering the increasing obesity rate with all it's associated health risks that are also, very expensive to deal with.

Less air pollution is also a nice side benefit that shouldn't be discounted.

I don't know if cycling can be a panacea for the worlds ills, but it wouldn't hurt.

This is one of the only worthwhile posts on this thread, and it's ON TOPIC too!

To the OP - I would focus on the obesity epidemic in the USA, dig up the costs associated with this epidemic, and start from there. The obesity angle is only one of many healthcare angles you could focus on, as there are many others, such as cardiovascular disease, which is a top 2 killer in the US, and how cycling (and exercise) reduce that.

The quality of life is increased with a physically fit body, but I don't know how to quantify that.

The release of built up energy; that's something that's not understood until we see the after effects of, until it shows itself in other ways: people going postal, depression, obesity, heart disease, stress and anxiety, apathy, cancer, etc, on and on....
    Cycling releases the energy our bodies have evolved to put out; bursts of energy, sustained efforts, heart pounding circulation....our human bodies evolved to do this as hunter/gatherers for millions of years.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja
    There is one minor glitch though. Along with intelligence, humans have compassion. Not many other species have that. People feel sorry for other people who are too stupid to look after themselves and they keep saving idiots from their own stupidity.

Stupid people are able to breed and procreate when they should actually be dead, and they tend to do it more than smart people. So not only is the world way overpopulated (I'd say 70% rather than Douger's 30%), but it's overpopulated with stupid people.
    Bingo !!!
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aaxuB1jIOYk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aaxuB1jIOYk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Scraper bike are the ****!!

Champ is about the best thing that i can think of right now. and he is kickin ass.

You should check out the book The bicycle: vehicle for a small Planet

And also in my opinion most of the people on this site don't give a **** about solving the world problems, just because you ride a bike does not mean that you want to help save the environment. In fact, I believe that most of the mountain bike population is just exploring the earth so they can get some kind of thrill out of it. I would take a look at the bike wilderness forums they might help you get an idea of this mentality
    The Wilderness Debate

Putting the "Wilderness Act" in perspective

mtbr member
    And so, despite the hijacks, the world has been saved.

mtbr member
    we're all the swarm. we just swarm on bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0