mtbr member
    Feb 2004

So I'm at a real snoozer of a conference

for work. I'm a grant writer/research administrator for a healthcare system by day so the folks at these conferences are not, typically, a real hoot (although they can and will kick your ass at Scrabble). I get irritated at these things because the undertone goes something like this, "Look at me, I'm smart."
    "Oh, you may be smart but I am the smartest of all."
    "Isn't it just great that we are all so smart? Someone should give us a medal."
    "I have a medal, it says I'm the smarty-smart-smart-smartest."
    "Wow, cool".

Anywho, I'm at the obligatory working lunch eating the dry chicken and making the small talk. I strike up a conversation with a 60-something V.P. of blah-ditty-blah from a New Jersey health system. He was a very charming guy. After lunch we had some time before the next mind-numbing session so I said I'm going to "stretch my legs". He asks if I would like some company, "sure" I say and off-we-go.

About halfway around the block he spots a North Face store and asks if I would'nt mind going in to look around. I agree and as we walk in I say, "So, are you a skier?" (I kick ass at small talk) He says, "Yes, but I really like to bike."
    "Reeaallly, me too. I used to be a road biker, but now I mostly mt. bike."
    "Me too" the seasoned old executive spouts back.
    I figured he meant anything with a knobby tire was a mt bike, but then he proceeded to lay down terms like singletrack, switchback, drop-in, freeride and babyheads. He also talked about his yearly trips to Moab and/or Fruita.

The moral of the story is don't judge a book - or a 60-something V.P of blah-ditty-blah - by its cover.

i worship Mr T

Lol!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ISUPsyclones
    for work. I'm a grant writer/research administrator for a healthcare system by day so the folks at these conferences are not, typically, a real hoot (although they can and will kick your ass at Scrabble). I get irritated at these things because the undertone goes something like this, "Look at me, I'm smart."
    "Wow, cool"..
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!! sounds like every conference i've ever been to. hee hee hee hee hee hee

i feel your pain. isn't it cool when you uncover like-minded people in unlikely places?

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Your Customer Sales Rep
    The moral of the story is don't judge a book - or a 60-something V.P of blah-ditty-blah - by its cover.
    Hopefully that will change your judgemental ways . During recent debates about the future of Mountain biking on the North Shore, Counciller Ernie Crist (opposed), has referred to mountain bikers as "hoodlums" and mountain biking as a "specialized" activity "for young people".

How about this 65 year-young hoodlum?

(Peter is one of the best trail builders on the North Shore. See the 'Big Smooth'? I detatched my ACL last spring dabbing at the bottom of that.) D.
    You be you. I'll be riding.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Nice, just goes to show...

beer *****es n' bikes
    World Champion XC racer and Waco, TX resident Fred Schmidt is like 70-ish and still kicks my 21 year old ass no contest.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

mtbr member

Ah, So You Post Here Also!!!!

april fools, two

jrm
    mtbr member

I've only heard the term "singletrack"once at work

"Wow, cool".

Anywho, I'm at the obligatory working lunch eating the dry chicken and making the small talk. I strike up a conversation with a 60-something V.P. of blah-ditty-blah from a New Jersey health system. He was a very charming guy. After lunch we had some time before the next mind-numbing session so I said I'm going to "stretch my legs". He asks if I would like some company, "sure" I say and off-we-go.

About halfway around the block he spots a North Face store and asks if I would'nt mind going in to look around. I agree and as we walk in I say, "So, are you a skier?" (I kick ass at small talk) He says, "Yes, but I really like to bike."
    "Reeaallly, me too. I used to be a road biker, but now I mostly mt. bike."
    "Me too" the seasoned old executive spouts back.
    I figured he meant anything with a knobby tire was a mt bike, but then he proceeded to lay down terms like singletrack, switchback, drop-in, freeride and babyheads. He also talked about his yearly trips to Moab and/or Fruita.

in th 3 years i've been there. One guy in the elevator to the bike parking did say to me once "you must be a mountain biker" i said "why" and he said "cuz your shoes are dirty".

Pretty funny

Loser
    About a month ago we got invited to my son's best friend's house for a "chili" party. They are nice folks and all, extremely passionate about ice skating. Now I like ice skating, but I can't last more than a few minutes talking skates before being bored to tears.

The morning of the party, my daughter pulls up sick, someone's got to stay home with her. I'm thinking here's my out. Not so, somehow my wife won that one and she got to stay home.

I grudgingly go to the party thinking I'm going to have to try to make small talk for 3 hours with people I hardly know. Impossible for me, I'm not good at small talk for very long. Two minutes into the party I meet this guy who is an avid mtb/trials rider, we spend the next three hours talking bikes. Very enjoyable. Turns out my son's friend's father is an avid road biker (who knew?). He even has a "don't tell the wife" saweet frame in the basement. He's a biker and devious... I'm starting to like this guy!

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog