mtbr member
    Aug 2010

sneaked the rig into work today

Yep, brought the ride to work and "hid" it in my office for the first time today. Daylight is limited after work and where I ride doesn't allow night rides so there's no time to go home and get the ride - gotta get straight to the trailhead. Don't want to leave it on the rack on my car in the parking lot.

Of course, when your "office" is a small, crowded high school social studies classroom with 25-30 freshmen and the only space to park the bike is between your computer table and regular desk, you end up standing the rest of the day to teach. Most of my students have never seen, let alone ridden, a mtb on singletrack so the idea of riding over logs and rocks at speed seems bizarre to them. However, a few (3 out of 125+ ride mtbs) thought it'd be cool if I raced from the third to the first floor before school - it's a huge building of 600,000 s.f.) with lots of steps and hallways with turns.

I got to school early and ducked out the fire exit after school (crowded hallways) so kids didn't bang into the pins on the flats. Also so the administrators didn't see the bike going in or out. Don't know if they'd be cool about me storing it in the building.

canuck
    kore

mtbr member
    haha that would be so cool if a had a teacher that brought in their mtb!
    "A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Steve Martin

mtbr member
    Great success!

I had some high school teachers store their bikes in their classrooms, and the administration never gave them grief...hope your administration won't freak out about it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm a primary school year 2 teacher - I commute to work on my mountain bike, my roadie and my SS roadie a couple of times a week and leave them sitting in the classroom all day. I have to "show and tell" each of them at the start of the year just to let them touch the bike and ask questions... after that, the novelty has worn off and they know to stay clear.

This year, I have 2 boys who race BMX and they LOVED having the mountain bike in the room. I even popped the seat right down one day and let one of them have a spin after school (with their parents watching). The kids like reading all my old mtb magazines too and enjoy seeing me with knee and elbow grazes after a big fall.

Your school admin shouldn't have a problem should they? I know my principal doesn't care at all, we have about 6 cyclists both male and female at school.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    My high school chem and AP chem teacher (2 different classes, same dude) rode his mtb to school almost every day. If you got to school before him you could catch him jumping the small flight of stairs through the quad, on the way to his room

I've found him riding the local trails a few times, too.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Having the bike in the classroom is part of educating the little goof balls about the future of transportation. It's their future whether they like it or not.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

My spelling is atroshus
    I work for the local schools. We have lots of teachers that bring their bikes into their classrooms. No big deal is made of it and nobody disapproves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have my bike sitting right behind me at work as well. I even ride it around when I have to go to one of the docks(I work at the BP port in Tx City, Tx) or whenever I get bored. It helps I'm the only one in a little 500sq. ft. building.

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    My last post in the Navy I used to keep my bike in the SECRET safe in our office. It was the only place that was out of sight.Nobody ever said crap...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Good hearing from others bringing their rides into work too.

Only one of my 170 fellow teachers in the building is a mtbr as far as I know - the others all look at me really strangely as I wheel the ride in and out.

As for my administration, they get picky about the weirdest things so I don't make any assumptions - better to keep a low profile and ask for forgiveness later than permission now. Hopefully they don't notice it - it's a FR built-up in total black so it sort of blends in.

Two positives:

1.) On my prep period I can wipe down the dried mud from the previous day's ride onto a piece of poster paper in the heated, classroom rather than my own poorly-lit and unheated garage. It's barely broken freezing for the past week and this makes cleaning up easier. (Go figure, the trail surface thaws maybe a 1/4" in in sunny areas but everything underneath remains totally frozen.)

2.) This sounds strange but I'm happier in my work when periodically turning around and seeing the bike in the room and having a positive attitude really helps in teaching.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    Don't know if they'd be cool about me storing it in the building.
    I remember 10 yrs ago when there were to few in my profession I got headhunted by a guy who knew me from the local mtb club. His pitch to me on the job was "And you get to bring your bike with you into your cubicle" ... I worked there for 3 happy years and many a time we took our bikes for a spin around the office

Today - it's all work and no fun .. well there's a lesser number of bikes in the office anyways..

Hope it changes
    Kasper

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Yesssss

For once my job isn't so lame!

I get to go riding while at work, so how's that?

Our customers' schedules don't match so I often have a two hour wait between them.

When the weather is nice I tell the boss I'll be back in a bit and I hit the trails. Last time out I got a flat; thank god I brought a spare tube.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Flatlands suck
    Very cool roxnroots!

I used to bring my bike into the office when I commuted, then my boss got sick of it and bought me a bike rack...worked out well .

Dirt Huffer
    I use to have a teacher who was really into riding. He road to work everyday. I caught him bombing down the stair well one morning. I laughed and cheered him on. It was really early in the morning and I dont think he was expecting very many people in the building let alone me being there to watch him. haha

I'm SUCH a square....
    I build $50-$200 bikes all day, and roll my $2K MTB in the building every day, with management's blessing, as I've done daily for 10 years. It sits (or hangs, a lot of the time) about 20 feet from my workbench.

Co-workers STILL haven't figured out to look for my bike if they don't see me -- if it's there, I'm around.....

Short-Change-Hero
    Haven't tried it at my work yet but will this spring when I finish my build. Have talked with the local bike group and there is a number of state workers that go for daily rides on their lunch hour. There is a trailhead about 2 miles from the state building complex, and the "Lunch Crew" does anywhere from 5 to 12 miles on their 1.5 hour lunch (would have to work my schedule so I could do the full hour and a half ride). I am stoked to finish my bike this spring and get out there with them (www.bikecarson.com).

i be lurkin
    ha my science teacher brought his old jekyll with studed tires in last year
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC
    I use to have a teacher who was really into riding. He road to work everyday. I caught him bombing down the stair well one morning. I laughed and cheered him on. It was really early in the morning and I dont think he was expecting very many people in the building let alone me being there to watch him. haha
    Yeah, I thought about an early morning ride down the stairs too. Biga$$ed wide straight staircases with decent descents with landings halfway down - no turns.

Problem is we've got 50+ security cameras in and around the building taping 24/7.

the test dummy
    i brought my uni in to my math class once(im not a teacher), but it was funny because every one in the class stopped what they were doing and went into the hall way to try it out.... no one could ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The only time my boss gives me a hard time is when our regional vice pres is in town... Otherwise I store my bike in his office as the rest of us share one big room with no cubicles. Last time the rvp was here, we traded training ideas for an upcoming muddy buddy and he was stoked to find out I was commuting by bike 2 or 3 times weekly. Great guy and great company!
    "The good news is you're still conscious, the bad is that you're too heavy for me to carry. You gotta ride it out bro."

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I work at the college I go to, and no one cares that I ride mine there when I do, of course though I get to store it in the chemistry lab room. Then when I get done with work/school I go home. I haven't really figured out how to not smell bad when I ride, so I haven't done it that much.
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako
    92' Trek 830 Antelope in restoration being turned into a commuter

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    I had to pick up a delivery last year from FedEx down in East Lake (Chula Vista/San Diego) and saw a bunch of MTB's right outside the entrance. I asked and one of the guys there said they all brought their bikes in to work so they could ride together. I thought that was super cool.

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    Funny you should post this. I work in a sky scraper that filled with banks and attorney's offices. I just started working here and didn't know the protocalls on bikes in the building. Of course, they want all the bikes parked and looked in the garage. With my commuter bike, no problem. But with my mtb and my track (velodrome) bike, not happening. So I've been shown the ways to sneak the bike in to the elevators pass the security guards. My boss is OK with me having it at my desk as long as it's not a daily thing.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me