Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    KJL
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Snakes curbing my exploration

I've got access to a huge amount of land, but its in northern california rattlesnake territory, and just recently they have come out of the wood work. Do i just put my tools down for the summer and ride and work elsewhere? Im looking into getting snake pants so i can start catching some, but should I just leave it be and focus somewhere I wont get mauled by a pack of bloodthirsty rattle snakes.

If i posted in the wrong area let me know, i figured my passion for making new trail and exploring new land is making this a hard decision.

-kellen

ill post picture of two babies ive killed in the last week, almost walked over both of them

mtbr member
    You killed the snakes? Is that a normal practice where your from? Just curious...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quit being a Puss, leave the snakes alone, be aware of your surroundings!
    Because, one is never enough.

Killing the snakes is rather pointless.

Once in a blue moon you will find a pissed off aggressive rattler, but most of the time they are sunning and will slither off trail and leave you alone if you let them.

Their venom is a resource not to be wasted on something they cant kill and eat unless it is self defense. Cant count the number of times ive set my foot inches from a rattler who let me pass with nary a rattle or strike. Dont piss them off and they will leave you alone.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

better ride faster!
    I don't kill snakes! I live in Florida and we have large diamondbacks in many biking areas and there are little to no problems each year. A 6 footer had to be killed a few years back who was acting aggressive near a kiosk...otherwise I say live and let live. If people are being bitten by these snakes, that would be a different issue.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

King of Middle Earth
    Leave them alone and they will leave you alone in return. It's that simple. It's those who mess with them who get bit. Give them respect and they will pass it on to you. If you happen upon one that is blocking your way, go around it. They would much rather get away from you than stand up as tall as you, sprout wings, and attack you with their blood sucking fangs out...
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    Killing the snakes is rather pointless.

Once in a blue moon you will find a pissed off aggressive rattler, but most of the time they are sunning and will slither off trail and leave you alone if you let them.

Their venom is a resource not to be wasted on something they cant kill and eat unless it is self defense. Cant count the number of times ive set my foot inches from a rattler who let me pass with nary a rattle or strike. Dont piss them off and they will leave you alone.
    This. So much this.

HTFU

High Desert MTBer
    "Bloodthirsty Rattlesnakes" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Muppet!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'd kill them if I were you. Alligators get culled because they multiply so quickly.

I'm not gonna take any chances.

Justin's Rattlesnake Pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    I'd kill them if I were you. Alligators get culled because they multiply so quickly.

As horrible as that is...there is still no need to mindlessly kill them.

I'm in Florida and I run into snakes and alligators pretty regularly on the trails. The gators will either move, or they wont. They decide if your trail day is over or not, lol. The snakes will always move, given the time.
    2013 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I eat what I kill..I would eat a snake too. Make a chainstay protecter out of the snake skin LOL Or a headband on my helmet. Here in Cali there are thousands of Rattlers up in them hills. I guess I wouldn't just randomly kill one just cuse I spoted it...might huck a rock at it lol Get outa Here Raaaahhhhh
    LOL
    MOre Coffee
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

Get over it.
    There really is very little good reason to kill a snake.

King of Middle Earth
    I'd kill them if I were you.
    Nice example of respect for life in general...
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member

Ouch, is Just a rider? Can he still grip his bike to ride & how did he get bitten?

mtbr member
    BTW, @metalhack
    Is that Neil from Clutch as your profile pic? If so well done, best band in the land.

Trail Prospector
    Quote Originally Posted by KJL View Post
    ...looking into getting snake pants so i can start catching some, but should I just leave it be and focus somewhere I wont get mauled by a pack of bloodthirsty rattle snakes...-kellen...
    Might be alone here, but think that snake pants sound damn scary.
    Stuffing a piissed-off rattler down one's pants is going to hurt, and there will be casualties.

If it were me, I'd rather spend the $$$ on snake charming lessons to convince them this new trail is all good.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    BTW, @metalhack
    Is that Neil from Clutch as your profile pic? If so well done, best band in the land.
    Right on brother!

mtbr member

Re: Snakes curbing my exploration

You have more chance of getting killed in a car accident than getting bit by a venomous snake. Try enjoying nature while riding.

Sent from my RobCo Pip-Boy 2000
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

KJL
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    damn guys! This helps a lot.

The usual policy with rattle snakes that are close to people I've observed is either
    1.) animal control
    2.) kill it and bury its' head.
    3.) if its far enough away we'll leave it be

The terrain is pretty steep, I'm working in tall grass growing over loose rock.
    I'm not worried about one while trail riding, I'm worried about stumbling upon one or even a nest while im working. Going into their nest and telling them to gtfo so I can bench. *snake pants are overalls that snakes cant bite through.*

The two I've found so far have been hiding under big rocks in the "bench to be." I've heard babies cant control how much venom they release and that scared me.

As for Justin who was bit, thats awful and I'm sorry for that kid.
    I'm a fully grown adult at 6'2", and I'm about thirty to forty five minutes from a hospital, so my conditions hopefully won't be the same if I do get bitten :-/

not to mention mountain lions, anyone have tips for kitties?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
    Ouch, is Just a rider? Can he still grip his bike to ride & how did he get bitten?
    You can click a link on Justin's website to read the story. It's pretty wicked. No treatment for more than four hours due to remote location in Yosemite.

Digital Toast
    I live and have ridden miles and miles of dirt in Nebraska. From pasture to dirt roads. I've seen more rattlesnakes then I care to talk about here. I kill them when I encounter them. I'm a father of four. I've been around rattlesnakes my whole life and have been very close to being bit several times. If I can save my children from a run in with a rattlesnake by taking it out of the ecosystem I will. I've shown them, I've told them what to do. However why take the risk? There are too many variables in a rattlesnake encounter that can have things ending up badly. That being said, we don't harm other snakes. Even other aggressive snakes. Such as a pissed off bull snake. We just leave them alone. On average I'll have any where between 3-20+ rattlesnake encounters a year. Just depends on how dry it is. If it's dry and your close to a remote water source. You'll see rattlesnakes, every time. Do we avoid these places? Yes. We don't go looking for trouble.

Should any of this info in any way stop you from riding? Hell no! Be aware, know what to do when you encounter one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeroack View Post
    I live and have ridden miles and miles of dirt in Nebraska. From pasture to dirt roads. I've seen more rattlesnakes then I care to talk about here. I kill them when I encounter them. I'm a father of four. I've been around rattlesnakes my whole life and have been very close to being bit several times. If I can save my children from a run in with a rattlesnake by taking it out of the ecosystem I will. I've shown them, I've told them what to do. However why take the risk? There are too many variables in a rattlesnake encounter that can have things ending up badly. That being said, we don't harm other snakes. Even other aggressive snakes. Such as a pissed off bull snake. We just leave them alone. On average I'll have any where between 3-20+ rattlesnake encounters a year. Just depends on how dry it is. If it's dry and your close to a remote water source. You'll see rattlesnakes, every time. Do we avoid these places? Yes. We don't go looking for trouble.

Should any of this info in any way stop you from riding? Hell no! Be aware, know what to do when you encounter one.
    This is one reason why Timber Rattlesnakes are endangered in Ohio. Great way to teach respect for nature...

Look into snake chaps or snake boots instead of stuff with more coverage. Snake protective gear is HOT and can restrict movement. I worked in snake country in the TX prairies and in the UT desert and didn't have any trouble. I saw venomous snakes regularly. When you see them, keep your distance and they will most likely move on after awhile. Just work in another area until then.

even cottonmouths have a terribly undeserved reputation.

I was so stoked to see a 5ft timber rattler a few years ago. Never an aggressive move. It just made its way into cover while breathing heavy (the "hissing") to warn me not to get too close. I respected the snake and gave it space. I took some pictures and went on my way.

I would not even kill snakes if kids were present. For young kids, I would just not let them into situations where snakes are likely. As they age, they would learn to give snakes space and later learn to distinguish venomous ones from nonvenomous ones. Shoot, even dogs can be trained and learn to avoid snakes.

Digital Toast
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    This is one reason why Timber Rattlesnakes are endangered in Ohio. Great way to teach respect for nature...
    There are no shortages of Rattlesnakes in Nebraska. I have no wish to put a species on the endangered list. If I have to choose between the safety of my family and a snake, I'll choose family every time.

BTW... love the Troll build up you have going. I'm loving my Revelate Design bags as well.

KJL
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yo Natehawk!

If a ratler is in tall grass and i come up on it, will it give me a good amount of warning. im afraid of getting into one of these situations with no warning.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast